Author Topic: Cholesterol and all that gubbins...  (Read 47987 times)

Re: Cholesterol and all that gubbins...
« Reply #75 on: 02 July, 2015, 11:30:55 am »
I think the best way forward is to completely reduce intake of ‘bad’ fats, and partially reduce intake of ‘good’ fats.

If you think that, you really don't understand how it works.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #76 on: 02 July, 2015, 03:42:42 pm »
There is some debate about what's a good fat and what's a bad fat. The only uncontroversial bad fat these days are trans fats.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24625808

I was banking on saturated fat from meat not having a major effect on cholesterol, but I guess the quantity I was putting away wasn't health inducing. I recently switched from margarine to butter too.

To be honest if I was given a choice of eating a boring healthy diet for potentially another 50 odd years, or eating pizza every meal but a sniper was instructed to take me out painlessly at anytime in the next 10 years, I'd be veering towards the pizza option.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #77 on: 02 July, 2015, 03:57:51 pm »
Healthy food does not have to be boring.

Pizza is only over-rated, overpriced cheese on toast anyway.

« Reply #78 on: 02 July, 2015, 05:17:13 pm »
I think the best way forward is to completely reduce intake of ‘bad’ fats, and partially reduce intake of ‘good’ fats. Resulting in an overall ceasation of polysaturates and monosaturates; and an overall reduction of polyunsaturates and monounsaturates.

To complement this, a large reduction in simple carbohydrates and a small reduction in complex carbohydrates.

A continuation of essential aminos and non-essential aminos resulting in a 40, 50, 10 balance of Protein, Carbohydrate and Fats to constitute the Basal Metabolic Rate plus extra for deliberate exercise such as cycling.

:thumbsup:

I think is an overall reduction in calorific intake - unfortunately this is probably the correct prescription for 'the developed world'

« Reply #79 on: 02 July, 2015, 05:44:42 pm »
Healthy food does not have to be boring.

Pizza is only over-rated, overpriced cheese on toast anyway.
I couldn't agree more

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #80 on: 03 July, 2015, 01:20:42 pm »
Unhealthy food can be very boring too, even if it's moreish.
I can think of no reason to touch it if other food is available.
Avoid.

Healthy food can be varied, interesting food. A rainbow of variety beats a portion of chips every time IMO.

« Reply #81 on: 06 July, 2015, 10:15:34 am »
Here's an interesting article.

http://www.healthline.com/health/heart-disease/good-fats-vs-bad-fats

Total crap, I presume ???

« Reply #83 on: 06 July, 2015, 10:37:51 am »

No it isn't and it says the opposite of what you said:
Quote from: Ningishzidda
I think the best way forward is to completely reduce intake of ‘bad’ fats, and partially reduce intake of ‘good’ fats.

Linked article:
First, work on reducing foods in your diet that are high in saturated fat, trans fat, and cholesterol. Then, make an effort to incorporate foods that contain monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats.

See the difference? It is important to *increase* the consumption of the  so-called 'good' fats.

The article is limited, as it doesn't go into the different types of cholesterol. For example, eggs are high in one type that turns out to be rather beneficial in helping balance your levels.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #84 on: 06 July, 2015, 11:10:03 am »
“Incorporating” depends entirely on what situation one is starting from.

For someone who predominantly eats high ‘bad’ and next to no ‘good’, Mrcharly’s advice is sound.
For someone who is eating excessive amounts of both, my advice is sound.

The way I read it, firstly write down on a sheet of paper a record of all the fats one consumes. Then cross out the ‘bad’ fats, and then IF NECESSARY because there’s so little ammounts of ‘good’ fats on the list, add on to the list some ‘good’ fats to replace the ‘bad’ fats one has eliminated.

« Reply #85 on: 06 July, 2015, 11:17:38 am »
Another way of looking at it is to look at the longevity of your ancestors to about five hundred years ago, or further if possible and see what they died of.

There’s no need to include those who died in battle, of the plague, were murdered or executed for treason.

If your ancestors expired at 50 – 60, it might pay to look after yourself and read up on health issues. If they died at 60 – 70, listen to medical advice. If they died 70 – 80, breathe easier and eat healthily.
If the died 80 – 90 or 90 – 100 like mine, enjoy yourself on cake.
 ;D

« Reply #86 on: 06 July, 2015, 02:10:13 pm »

Linked article:
First, work on reducing foods in your diet that are high in saturated fat, trans fat, and cholesterol. Then, make an effort to incorporate foods that contain monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats.

See the difference? It is important to *increase* the consumption of the  so-called 'good' fats.

The article is limited, as it doesn't go into the different types of cholesterol. For example, eggs are high in one type that turns out to be rather beneficial in helping balance your levels.

Formula: C27H46O

That's the formula for cholesterol, there is only one, no good or bad.

Eggs have the same type as every other source

Si_Co

« Reply #87 on: 06 July, 2015, 02:43:00 pm »

Linked article:

Formula: C27H46O

That's the formula for cholesterol, there is only one, no good or bad.

Eggs have the same type as every other source

Look up isomers and enantiomers

Formula : C13H10N2O4 is a good one

« Reply #88 on: 06 July, 2015, 02:54:15 pm »
Remember Robert Atkins?
He devised a diet regime.

He slipped on the pavement, smacked his head and died at a younger age than my father, grandfather and several great grandfathers who drank, smoked, ate 'unhealthy' food and generally had a good 'ole time.

So the moral is,,,

Don't worry about your diet. Wear suitable footwear.

« Reply #89 on: 06 July, 2015, 03:00:20 pm »
You sensibly further up the thread said that people should look at age of death and cause of parents etc. Well some of us have a family history that shuffles people off by middle age.

For those people, considerations of diet, exercise aren't some scarcely-need-to-bother-with thought, the literally mean the difference between death (in early 40s) and making it to 70 or more. So please excuse my sense of humour failure at your little quips.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #90 on: 06 July, 2015, 03:10:43 pm »
I understand mrcharly. Hope I'm not too smug.
I don't suppose I personally have to worry.

But this whole shebang must be a pain for those who do.

« Reply #91 on: 24 July, 2015, 01:27:50 pm »
Went to see the doc, it's my triglycerides that are high. His advice, cut back on fat, if it looks like a twig eat it, and drink more water

« Reply #92 on: 28 July, 2015, 11:37:05 am »
Went to see the doc, it's my triglycerides that are high. His advice, cut back on fat, if it looks like a twig eat it, and drink more water

Your doctor should know but I used to always have Triglycerides around 1.4/1.5 when following food pyramid type diet, it's now at .85 eating loads of fat, including animal fat. HDl about 1.9 also where it used to be 1.4ish.

« Reply #93 on: 28 July, 2015, 12:02:29 pm »
I think my triglycerides were high due to over eating. I had my blood test after a weeks driving holiday, where I did nothing but eat fried food and drive around the highlands.

« Reply #94 on: 31 January, 2016, 12:06:45 pm »
Just had a vitality health check. My TC was 5.07 mmol/l which means they have told me to go and see my GP (and I don't get the 60 points).

However, the HDL was 1.96 mmol/l, which seems to be at the "very good" level. Do I really need to worry?

The advice was to increase exercise (LOL, I cycle 350 km a week) and change my diet. My weekly diet consists of veg, fruit, salads, olive oil, sardines/mackerel, porridge x 4, 50g cheese, 50g butter, 1l whole milk, 3 eggs/week, peanuts, home-made pizza and chips on Saturday. There's not a huge amount I can change there.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #95 on: 20 March, 2016, 09:20:24 pm »
My high Clolesterol was discovered 20 years ago, when it peaked at 9.6.

I tried diet and losing weight for several years to avoid medication, but it made limited difference and it was diagnosed as being an inherited condition. Finally gave in and agreed to statins about 6 years ago. I didn't get on well with them. The first gave me muscle pains, then a couple more sparked a liver enzyme reaction. Finally I was getting on ok with one but, when I went to the doctor for a check-up, I asked about early-onset Altzheimers, as I was worried about my memory. A bit more research and I decided I wasn't taking statins any more. 

I recalled a TV programme I'd seen years ago about two twins separated at birth. In middle age, they were traced and their health compared. One was sedentary and had high cholesterol and heart issues, the other was a marathon runner and was fine. So I thought i'd really try the lifestyle thing. 

Over a period of a couple of years I gave up caffeine, which was easy, junk food (also easy) and then meat (not that hard) and most dairy.  Also carried on cycling lots. Lost a bit more weight and cholesterol is around 6. Still high vs normal but lower than i've had it without medication - plus I don't find myself sitting in my chair at work trying to remember what I was doing quite so often as when I had the statins. 

My GP is very supportive of my approach, so I'm going to carry on, lose weight bit more weight and see what I can get it down to.   

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #96 on: 21 March, 2016, 09:17:00 am »
From what I've read it's not the caffeine in coffee that raises cholesterol, but one of the oils, which puts up LDL.  If you make coffee with a filter paper it stays in the filter, and in espresso there's so little it doesn't matter.  It's the other methods such as French press and vacuum pots that let it through.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LMT

« Reply #97 on: 21 March, 2016, 12:51:32 pm »
Cholesterol and it's inherent health risks is karma for all the animal products that one consumes.

LMT

« Reply #98 on: 21 March, 2016, 01:25:56 pm »
Just had a vitality health check. My TC was 5.07 mmol/l which means they have told me to go and see my GP (and I don't get the 60 points).

However, the HDL was 1.96 mmol/l, which seems to be at the "very good" level. Do I really need to worry?

The advice was to increase exercise (LOL, I cycle 350 km a week) and change my diet. My weekly diet consists of veg, fruit, salads, olive oil, sardines/mackerel, porridge x 4, 50g cheese, 50g butter, 1l whole milk, 3 eggs/week, peanuts, home-made pizza and chips on Saturday. There's not a huge amount I can change there.

Ditch the above in favour of flax/chia seeds and more fruit and veggies. In particular Bananas, Kale, Spinach and some Blueberries.

Or if you cannot be without milk, buy Soy or Hemp milk.

« Reply #99 on: 21 March, 2016, 01:49:28 pm »
Cholesterol and it's inherent health risks is karma for all the animal products that one consumes.

Thankfully trans fats enables the righteous to also enjoy dangerous cholesterol levels