Random Musings > Kidstuff

Video games age ratings...

(1/3) > >>

andyoxon:
Just wondering what people think about the age ratings on video games (PS, Xbox etc) generally.  A while ago a friend's young teen said all his friends were playing these PEGI 16 games - and that life was so unfair that he couldn't play them.   Is sci-fi violence less of an issue than the violent war or 'street' games?  Experiences?

Kathy:
I don't play many games video games, so I can't speak for the genre as a whole. I am however a huuuuge fan of the Grand Theft Auto series (rate 18). They are wonderful, but very violent and with a very black sense of humour and a lot of drugs and sex. I think the age rating is justified there - I don't think anyone under 17 1/2 should play them.

On the other hand, I've recently taken to having 4 Music on the TV in the evenings as background noise, and am mildly perturbed by some of the music videos in which females wear nothing more than a bikini (or strategic body-paint) and writhe around in simulated orgies or masturbation whilst the camera only concentrates on the pubic area, so perhaps I'm just getting prudish in my old age (late twenties). :-[

pcolbeck:
I let pcolbeck junior (12) play Halo and Call of Duty. When we were kids we played soldiers etc and it wasn't really any different. He understands the difference between a game and real life. I don't however let him play GTA. A game based on pimps hookers theft and killing innocent bystanders isn't really suitable for kids.
Basically don't rely on teh ratings use your own judgement as you know your own kids.

Wascally Weasel:

--- Quote from: andyoxon on 22 May, 2009, 12:38:16 pm ---Is sci-fi violence less of an issue than the violent war or 'street' games?  Experiences?

--- End quote ---

Playing Doom 3 in the dark scared me shitless.  I'm a bit older than 18.

tonycollinet:

--- Quote from: pcolbeck on 22 May, 2009, 12:56:32 pm ---I let pcolbeck junior (12) play Halo and Call of Duty. When we were kids we played soldiers etc and it wasn't really any different. He understands the difference between a game and real life. I don't however let him play GTA. A game based on pimps hookers theft and killing innocent bystanders isn't really suitable for kids.
Basically don't rely on teh ratings use your own judgement as you know your own kids.

--- End quote ---

I've used exactly the same strategy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version