Author Topic: 300km+ with a Garmin Edge 200  (Read 4156 times)

300km+ with a Garmin Edge 200
« on: 18 September, 2014, 07:46:05 am »
Your help is required please. Newbie to GPS, since my last 300km I now own a Garmin Edge 200 which I would like to use to record the ride. I anticipate being out for 16hrs+, 14hrs ride time. I want a contingency to record the whole ride in its entirety, on the one device, be suitable for DIY GPS validation and be able to upload to Strava. I currently do not own a dynohub :(

I am quite happy to take the charger and put some juice in it at a cafe, however the ride would the be split in two which I would then have to splice together somehow, have tried unsuccessfully to do this (converted to gpx via Garmin Connect, joined the two gpx files but then unable to work out how to upload to Strava etc).

Not sure if I can use an external battery pack with the Edge mounted on the stem

Many thanks in advance
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

www.milehousebarn.co.uk - Cycle Friendly B&B in Nantwich, Chehsire

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
Re: 300km+ with a Garmin Edge 200
« Reply #1 on: 18 September, 2014, 08:24:53 am »
It will run with an external battery pack connected, personal experience of this.  You just need somewhere sensible to keep the external battery pack.

Others here have experience of stitching gpx files together ifyou do end up with a split record .

« Reply #2 on: 19 September, 2014, 01:05:08 am »
I will follow this with interest!

« Reply #3 on: 19 September, 2014, 06:36:37 am »
Brilliant, thank you Graeme  :)
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

www.milehousebarn.co.uk - Cycle Friendly B&B in Nantwich, Chehsire

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #4 on: 19 September, 2014, 06:45:25 am »
Another thread asking the same question is here: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=81527
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Martin

« Reply #5 on: 19 September, 2014, 08:28:19 am »
I can stitch gpx files together on Mapsource; never tried it from 2 different devices though;

easygps is a free version which might do the same thing

« Reply #6 on: 19 September, 2014, 10:01:25 am »

Not sure if I can use an external battery pack with the Edge mounted on the stem

Many thanks in advance

Yes.

Contact me and I'll show you what I do.

We are nearly neighbours!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #7 on: 19 September, 2014, 10:04:54 am »
I can stitch gpx files together on Mapsource; never tried it from 2 different devices though;

I have stitched files together from different devices before (but I do it all manually in text editors as I have found most of the software solutions scrub HRM and PM data from the stitched file).
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Martin

« Reply #8 on: 19 September, 2014, 12:38:08 pm »

I have stitched files together from different devices before (but I do it all manually in text editors as I have found most of the software solutions scrub HRM and PM data from the stitched file).

yes that's a good way of doing it, open up both files with notepad and simply delete the gubbins after the last trackpoint in the first half and before the first trackpoint of the second half and it will be treated as a single track.

while you're at it you can do a find / replace and change the date  :demon:

« Reply #9 on: 27 April, 2015, 09:40:15 am »
Hello,

Sorry for the bump but can you guys give more information on stitching up two fit files using a text editor? Is there a step by step procedure anywhere?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #10 on: 30 April, 2015, 07:36:39 pm »
Hello,

Sorry for the bump but can you guys give more information on stitching up two fit files using a text editor? Is there a step by step procedure anywhere?

You can't.
FIT files are not text files like GPX.

Methods you can use:

1) Connect the device to a PC running BaseCamp, have it display the tracks, and splice them there ( as described above ).
You don't need to interact with the FIT files directly.
BaseCamp will just show them as tracks.
Once they are spliced, you can export the spliced track or whatever.

2) Upload the FIT files to a web service ( eg Garmin Connect, or many others ) that can export them as GPX, then splice the GPXs in a text editor.  Seems a bunch of work to me.

3) Use a tool that can natively splice FIT files, eg 'FIT File Repair Tool'.

« Reply #11 on: 01 May, 2015, 02:18:22 pm »
Are Garmin daga log files still .TCX ?

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #12 on: 01 May, 2015, 02:57:49 pm »
Are Garmin daga log files still .TCX ?
No. All of the newer Edge and Forerunner models record in FIT format.
Whereas most of the 'outdoor' models record as GPX. Some of the new outdoor models (Fenix and Oregon etc) have the option of recording in GPX and/or FIT.

« Reply #13 on: 07 May, 2015, 12:13:30 pm »
I use Fit File Tools for combining .fit files

www.fitfiletools.com

Eddington: 114 Miles