Author Topic: Saw someone getting a telling-off tonight  (Read 23530 times)

RJ

• Droll rat
Re: Saw someone getting a telling-off tonight
« Reply #25 on: 26 February, 2010, 12:42:37 pm »
It seems rather that you yourself don't trust your observation and know it's not good enough, which is why you feel the need to rely on your hearing.

Observation is not necessarily restricted to visual (ask any birdwatcher).

« Reply #26 on: 26 February, 2010, 12:51:57 pm »
I'm glad it's "virtual" paper being used. I'd hate to see a forest getting fucked over this.
(hearing debate yet again?)
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #27 on: 26 February, 2010, 12:57:16 pm »

And ironically it's rarely ever a debate. The usual people don't listen to others arguments and just repeatedly restate their own opinion over and over again.

Meh.

If I were Kirst I'd copy out the interesting replies to her original post, remove the entire thread and restart it.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #28 on: 26 February, 2010, 12:58:16 pm »
I want to know what the polis motorbike convoy was doing.

Going out for Alex Salmond's pies?

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #29 on: 26 February, 2010, 01:05:39 pm »

And ironically it's rarely ever a debate. The usual people don't listen to others arguments and just repeatedly restate their own opinion over and over again.

Meh.

If I were Kirst I'd copy out the interesting replies to her original post, remove the entire thread and restart it.

It'd be a pretty damn short thread. :-0)

« Reply #30 on: 26 February, 2010, 01:10:03 pm »

That's the very essence of YACF.  ;D

Talkin' of which...

I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.

« Reply #31 on: 26 February, 2010, 01:34:38 pm »
So you can see round corners can you?  I can't, but I can hear round them and if I hear a car approaching at speed on a corner that I am already half round it let's me know that I might have to hit the curb pronto.  

What will you do about silent vehicles - electic cars and bicycles?  What you're really saying here is that you're willing to compromise your safety by going too fast and not looking properly around a corner you can't see around.

Also, you can see the car behind you but you can't see a car behind that that may be approaching at speed... You can certainly hear it.  Engine tone tells you a lot about the attitude of the driver, these are things you can't always see.

Besides, your comment about using ears because you aren't looking well enough is pretty silly.  If you have two senses then use them both.

Yes you can see the cars behind, if you're looking properly.  You can tell their speed of approach too.  You don't need your sense of hearing to ride well and safely, it's an urban myth that needs to be stopped in its tracks.

You make a good point hearing the attitudes of drivers from their car's engine note, but it is only a secondary assist at best.  For the most part it makes no difference to the way we ride, though it might stop me overtaking that driver if it meant him passing me again soon.  I mean really, what are we going to do with an aggressive driver?  Stop and jump in the ditch/hedge?

Perhaps if you rode a little more intelligently you wouldn't need to keep posting your silly little videos  ;D

I thought this sort of nastiness was frowned on on yacf?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #32 on: 26 February, 2010, 02:15:49 pm »
What will you do about silent vehicles - electic cars and bicycles?  What you're really saying here is that you're willing to compromise your safety by going too fast and not looking properly around a corner you can't see around.

We aren't talking about silent vehicles are we? And no, I'm not saying that... I'm talking about vehicles approaching from behind

Yes you can see the cars behind, if you're looking properly.  You can tell their speed of approach too.  

No, you cannot if the line of sight is blocked by another vehicle.

You don't need your sense of hearing to ride well and safely, it's an urban myth that needs to be stopped in its tracks.

You've already said as much, and I am saying I disagree... but you are making a really stupid point here.  You are trying to say that your safety on the road will not be affected by impeding your second most important sense.  What next?   Are you going to suggest that hearing actually makes you less safe?

You make a good point hearing the attitudes of drivers from their car's engine note, but it is only a secondary assist at best.  

In some situations you need every assist you can get to stay safe.

Perhaps if you rode a little more intelligently you wouldn't need to keep posting your silly little videos  ;D
I thought this sort of nastiness was frowned on on yacf?  Paaaaaarp

You've got thicker skin than that.  Don't pretend to be offended when you are not.  Besides a bit of leg pulling there is a bit of a serious point here.  You are always full of opinions about how people should ride, and yet it is you who seems to have more than your fair share of conflicts with motorists.  

Perhaps you need to rethink your approach to cycling on public roads.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #33 on: 26 February, 2010, 02:18:59 pm »
I'm glad it's "virtual" paper being used. I'd hate to see a forest getting fucked over this.

Speak up lad, I can't hear you with these headphones in!
Getting there...

« Reply #34 on: 26 February, 2010, 02:20:19 pm »
I'm lost, who's walking in the road and worried about vehicles coming up behind them?

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #35 on: 26 February, 2010, 02:27:18 pm »
Good stuff @ coppers in the OP.

Re MP3 players and cycling, my thoughts here.

« Reply #36 on: 26 February, 2010, 02:58:31 pm »
I'm lost, who's walking in the road and worried about vehicles coming up behind them?

Are you trying to suggest we shouldn't wander off topic?

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #37 on: 26 February, 2010, 02:59:01 pm »
It's quite dangerous to wander off topic if you're wearing an MP3 player.

« Reply #38 on: 26 February, 2010, 03:00:30 pm »

Are you trying to suggest we shouldn't wander off topic?

Maybe, but it seems to be all the rage so I'm joining in too.

Topics are free. If you want to restart the headphones debate then it might be easier if you started a new thread.

« Reply #39 on: 26 February, 2010, 03:02:40 pm »
OK, so if your approach is so correct, then why is CTUK not teaching the essential nature of hearing on their cycle training?  Why is hearing not an essential part of what is taught in National Standards and bikeability across the UK to schoolkids on the roads?

Here's my challenge to you and the other pro-hearing riders.  One or more of you must be close enough to London that we can meet up for a filming session.  Let's film your ride, and have an online debate about it.

You've got thicker skin than that.  Don't pretend to be offended when you are not.  Besides a bit of leg pulling there is a bit of a serious point here.  You are always full of opinions about how people should ride, and yet it is you who seems to have more than your fair share of conflicts with motorists.  

Perhaps you need to rethink your approach to cycling on public roads.

Aaaahahahahaha - really.  More than my fair share of conflicts.  I think not.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #40 on: 26 February, 2010, 03:03:51 pm »
You've got thicker skin than that.

You know what they say - the thicker the skin, the better the custard.  ;)

« Reply #41 on: 26 February, 2010, 03:04:17 pm »
Maybe, but it seems to be all the rage so I'm joining in too.

Topics are free. If you want to restart the headphones debate then it might be easier if you started a new thread.

Well, you make a fair point, but that's unnecessary effort.  You can carry on trying to drag the topic back to the OP, and we'll keep discussing riding and hearing.  I won't complain if a mod splits the topic.  Fair enough?

« Reply #42 on: 26 February, 2010, 03:06:19 pm »
 More than my fair share of conflicts.  I think not.

???

But I always look forward to your latest regular offering.   :P

« Reply #43 on: 26 February, 2010, 03:08:52 pm »
Can't we just agree that it's down to personal choice and circumstances?

I have poor eyesight, poor peripheral vision, so I primarily use my eyesight, and also pay attention to my hearing. Most of my riding is done on fast open roads. FWIW, I've had one car-bike interaction in more than 20 000miles of riding - that was getting doored when I was undertaking.

YMMV
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #44 on: 26 February, 2010, 03:15:57 pm »
OK, so if your approach is so correct, then why is CTUK not teaching the essential nature of hearing on their cycle training?  Why is hearing not an essential part of what is taught in National Standards and bikeability across the UK to schoolkids on the roads?

What is taught to schoolkids is not neccessarily appropriate to my kind of riding.  I'd counter your point by asking you why I almost never see audax riders with headphones? (except at night, including me).  They are after all the people who do big miles in a variety of situations, not just a few miles of cruddy London commuting.

Here's my challenge to you and the other pro-hearing riders.  One or more of you must be close enough to London that we can meet up for a filming session.  Let's film your ride, and have an online debate about it.

I'm more than happy to join you for a ride, but you'll have to come here (why would anybody choose to ride anywhere near London?), and you'll have to promise not to start any silly squabbles with drivers  ;)

Aaaahahahahaha - really.  More than my fair share of conflicts.  I think not.

Your youtube channel says a big yes   ;D

« Reply #45 on: 26 February, 2010, 03:17:27 pm »
Can deaf people legally ride bicycles?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #46 on: 26 February, 2010, 03:19:20 pm »

Yes - and blind people.

We had a blind rider complete the Friday Night Ride to the Coast last year...

...and nobody on the ride realised.  Not even the sainted Simon 'of the Knee Bandage' Legg.

Mind you, we had a bit of a battle with CTC National Office over that - but the CTC insurers agreed with us.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #47 on: 26 February, 2010, 03:19:30 pm »

Yes. Absolutely.

« Reply #48 on: 26 February, 2010, 03:20:28 pm »

Yes, and it doesn't prevent them from driving either.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #49 on: 26 February, 2010, 03:23:30 pm »
Amputees are allowed to drive, but I don't see anyone lopping their limbs off voluntarily.
Getting there...