Author Topic: Karrimor uplift  (Read 16586 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Karrimor uplift
« Reply #25 on: 26 October, 2013, 09:55:48 pm »
Cool.
Getting there...

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #26 on: 27 October, 2013, 07:59:01 am »
I can see that bouncing out of the saddle loops, or the lower part of it rattling against the saddle rails....   :(

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #27 on: 27 October, 2013, 09:19:41 am »
I can see that bouncing out of the saddle loops, or the lower part of it rattling against the saddle rails....   :(
I had one many years ago. Brian, it did both: when it wasn't bouncing out of the saddle loops, it rattled against the rails.  :facepalm:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #28 on: 28 October, 2013, 07:21:11 am »
I had one many years ago. Brian, it did both: when it wasn't bouncing out of the saddle loops, it rattled against the rails.  :facepalm:
For some years now I've been using both the uplift with support (like the Carradice one) and one with no support on a daily basis and they do neither.  I use a toestrap from the horizontal bar of the uplift around the saddle pillar and keep it tight.  I do not use the strap on the saddlebag because that would put a fair bit of strain on the bag.  No problems at all.  One of my uplifts is distorted a bit so I have wrapped a bit of bar tape or rim tape around it at the contact point with the rails to stop any possibility of rattling.  I use my uplifts with B17, Swift and Gilles Berthoud Aspin.

« Reply #30 on: 24 March, 2015, 03:49:18 pm »
Both my much loved saddlebag and bagman-type support have long since gone the way of all flesh. A Nelson or a Pendle is on the wish list until funds allow otherwise. Meanwhile - and hurrah for the German discounters - 10€ from my local Lidl produced this alternative support. At 600g there's a slight weight penalty over the Karrimor/Carradice Uplift (330g)
I don't like the idea of clamping to the seatpin so it's threaded through the 'A' of the seatstays and clamped to the frame seat tube. It's rated up to 5kg max load so when the 30litre stuffsack is on it the load is shared by bungees to to saddle rails. A saddlebag would mount to the top rail of the rack. The orange button is the quick release, allowing rack and attached bag to lift off in one swift movement.

They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

« Reply #31 on: 26 March, 2015, 01:10:30 pm »
Only 5Kg?  That's scarcely enough for a couple of bottles of wine
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #32 on: 26 March, 2015, 08:09:05 pm »
You're right. 5kg is next to nothing. I suspect the makers are being super cautious on account of the quick release catch.

However, it copes perfectly well with that 30litre stuffsack containing, among other things, tent, groundsheet, peg-bag and poles, thermarest-a-like, flip-flops, waterproof and assorted junk that doesn't travel anywhere else. In short, quite a lot more than 5kg.

I'm not prepared to destruction test it to discover it's limits, though.
They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.