Author Topic: Cyclist killed on Holloway Road.  (Read 3708 times)

AndyK

Cyclist killed on Holloway Road.
« on: 07 August, 2011, 09:56:18 pm »
Doored, then hit by bus. Driver arrested.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14438520

RIP.

Re: Cyclist killed.
« Reply #1 on: 07 August, 2011, 10:06:22 pm »
It sounds horrendous.

RIP.

It's been a really bad few weeks for fatalities. There is no central collating point so they pass barely noticed.

There was a cyclist killed just up the road here, on Kew Bridge, a few weeks ago. I cannot conceive of how an accident could occur on this wide bridge. Apparently it's ok though - the police tell us that the death was "not suspicious".

LFGSS forum's "Rider Down" board provides a useful service, although I'm often reluctant to look.

Door zone - I need to shape up in that regard. I find myself in it too often on my commute.   

Re: Cyclist killed on Holloway Road.
« Reply #2 on: 07 August, 2011, 10:19:49 pm »
Poor bugger.  They'll have been in a bus lane with parking spaces to the left and buses overtaking.  I've done this route hundreds (thousands?) of times and always thought it was a relatively safe stretch BUT... you HAVE to stay away from parked vehicles ALWAYS.  This means staying in the middle of the bus lane.  A moment's lapse of concentration or an inexperienced cyclist and you potentially have disaster.  Very sad.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #3 on: 08 August, 2011, 10:02:31 am »
Tragic. I am always anxious in those cycle lanes that go beside parked cars - they seem designed to lull motons into opening their door into that path of the cyclist causing a wide swereve at best.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4 on: 08 August, 2011, 12:26:22 pm »
Tragic. I am always anxious in those cycle lanes that go beside parked cars - they seem designed to lull motons into opening their door into that path of the cyclist causing a wide swereve at best.

We have several in Cambridge.

I ignore them.  And to be fair, most drivers don't seem to object when I do.  I think even they can see how stupid they are.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

charlie_lcc

« Reply #5 on: 09 August, 2011, 12:12:29 pm »
This is the second time in two years that careless door opening has killed a cyclist in London.
Most drivers have no idea that it is always against the law to open a door in a way that endangers anyone. The police almost never prosecute unless the cyclist is killed.   Door opening is one of the major causes of injury crashes to cyclists in London.

« Reply #6 on: 09 August, 2011, 12:51:20 pm »
This is the second time in two years that careless door opening has killed a cyclist in London.
Most drivers have no idea that it is always against the law to open a door in a way that endangers anyone. The police almost never prosecute unless the cyclist is killed.   Door opening is one of the major causes of injury crashes to cyclists in London.

There is the answer imo and I hope I am wrong in this instance. The car is king in the UK.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #7 on: 09 August, 2011, 06:03:02 pm »
It's just one example of a car 'safety' feature being unsafe for other road users.  What I call Volvo syndrome.

I refer to the headrests on the seats.  These prevent cyclists from assessing whether the stationary car is occupied or not.  Playing safe by assuming it is, is a poor solution when it puts you out in the passing traffic.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

spindrift

« Reply #8 on: 09 August, 2011, 06:08:39 pm »
It's just one example of a car 'safety' feature being unsafe for other road users.  What I call Volvo syndrome.

I refer to the headrests on the seats.  These prevent cyclists from assessing whether the stationary car is occupied or not.  Playing safe by assuming it is, is a poor solution when it puts you out in the passing traffic.

Quite a large number of hatchbacks on the roads have windows so dark I can't see anything through them.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #9 on: 09 August, 2011, 11:49:21 pm »

Quite a large number of hatchbacks on the roads have windows so dark I can't see anything through them.

Not just hatchbacks.  So many, including a huge number of 4x4s, have illegally tinted windows these days. It's an offence to sell the vehicles like that but dealers get round that by selling it as a post-sale 'upgrade'...  >:(

Frankly I think it should be lawful - nay, an obligation - to carry a ball hammer and smash any window that is so darkly tinted you can't see the driver.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #10 on: 11 August, 2011, 10:04:46 am »
I am an irregular correspondent on these pages but I thought people may like to know that around seventy people including close family and friends of the cyclist turned out for an emotional gathering last night. The young man's father made a short but excellent speech about his son. A minute's silence was observed. The event had been organised by the Islington Cyclists' Action Group (we have done this on each, thankfully rare, occasion a cyclist has died on the borough roads) and we were thanked by family and friends for our efforts.
Stephen

« Reply #11 on: 11 August, 2011, 10:14:21 am »
Thanks for the news, Stephen.  If you get a chance could you pass my condolences on to the family - my heart goes out to them. 

RIP

« Reply #12 on: 11 August, 2011, 01:19:34 pm »
I am a friend of Sam and I just want to say thank you for putting on the minute's silence yesterday and all the support and condolence everyone has shown over the past few days, both online and in person, it has been a great help

« Reply #13 on: 11 December, 2012, 06:13:44 pm »
There was an item about the court case on last night's BBC London news.  Apparently the driver who doored Sam into the path of the bus had illegal tints on his windows reducing his visibility by about 80%.  His defence came out with the usual stuff and nonsense about having looked before he fully opened the door, which he plainly did not.