Author Topic: Hand position  (Read 2641 times)

Hand position
« on: 16 June, 2008, 01:54:40 pm »
When doing longer rides I suffer from the 'bars hurting the lower centre of my palm, near to the wrist.  I rest that part of my hand on the top of the bars behind the hoods.  I have used specialized mitts but find the bars press between the two gel pads and this makes it worse.

This weekend I went out with an old pair of mitts with admittedly thin, but full width, padding. This didnt help much.

My thoughts are:
1 My bars are too narrrow and my hands shouldnt be sitting where they do.
2 I need mitts with decent padding all of the way across (anyone know of any?)
3 My bars, or hoods need to be slightly closer so my hands rest totally on them rather than on the top of the bars
4 i need to double wrap the bar tape on that part of the bars
5 All or some of the above

( note, not doing long rides is not an option ;D

Has anyone had a similar problem, or offer advice?

Re: Hand position
« Reply #1 on: 16 June, 2008, 02:00:24 pm »
Although the Specialized mitts have a strong following, they do not suit everyone. Personally I found the padding to be in the wrong place altogether - I much prefer Pearl Izumi (the Pittards ones).

I'd bet that it is not a glove problem but that perhaps you are simply putting too much weight on your hands, and it is a matter of adjusting your riding position.

« Reply #2 on: 16 June, 2008, 02:00:55 pm »
Just a thought..

...are you putting too much weight on your hands? Usually happens if the saddle is tilted forwards.  Get the spirit level out and check the saddle is dead flat.

<edit>  Pluck beat me too it!

« Reply #3 on: 16 June, 2008, 02:06:23 pm »
My saddle position seems to be ok. its a B17 on this bike and I've messed with it plenty to get it comfy,  it is just slightly nose up.  Would lowering the seat slightly have an effect? or would I be transfering the problem elsewhere?

« Reply #4 on: 16 June, 2008, 02:08:38 pm »
The seat height should be according to your leg length requirements and should not be altered to try and affect your wrists / hands.

If tilting the Brooks back a touch does not help, then I'd look at the height of the bars next.

« Reply #5 on: 16 June, 2008, 02:16:39 pm »
I'll try a slight backward tilt. The bars are higher relative to seat height on this bike certainly when compared to my Airborne, which has a more radical riding position.  I dont suffer with the hand issue on the Zeppelin.

Chris N

« Reply #6 on: 16 June, 2008, 02:17:10 pm »
If you're happy with the saddle position then you could try rotating the handlebars up slightly so that the area behind the hoods is horizontal or pointing upwards.  This also brings the hoods a little closer.

annie

« Reply #7 on: 16 June, 2008, 02:36:42 pm »
I had the same problem despite trying out different makes of gloves.  After making adjustments to the stem and altering the position of the saddle I am now very comfortable, no pain in the hands or wrists and no electric shocks either.

Lizzie

• Quite harmless
« Reply #8 on: 16 June, 2008, 03:29:44 pm »
Aidan,

you are clearly in need of a nice pair of my purple fleecy lined Buffalo mitts that you so cruelly scoffed at on one of our rides to the Humber bridge.

No more pain, no more cold hands....................................................you know you want to  ;D

Hill Slug

« Reply #9 on: 16 June, 2008, 04:17:36 pm »
....................................................you know you want to  ;D

Oh no I don't ;D ;D

Lizzie

• Quite harmless
« Reply #10 on: 16 June, 2008, 06:36:13 pm »
What about a bit of bar phat instead, then?

:)
Hill Slug

« Reply #11 on: 16 June, 2008, 08:17:30 pm »
I'll try a slight backward tilt. The bars are higher relative to seat height on this bike certainly when compared to my Airborne, which has a more radical riding position.  I dont suffer with the hand issue on the Zeppelin.

First thing to do: measure the bars to saddle to pedals on the Zeppelin, and compare with this bike. Are the bars the same shape?

« Reply #12 on: 16 June, 2008, 09:41:30 pm »
The bars are completely different, as is the saddle. But distance from bar to saddle is as near enough the same, The seat height (pedal tp saddle top)  on the Soma was probably a centimetre higher than the Zepp. This may explain things ::-)  I know when I built the Soma I set the seat the seat height at the same as the Zepp , and I dont remember moving it since ???

I noticed that when I last adjusted the bars I have left them tipped very slightly down so I've rectified that as well.

And there I was fancying a nice new pair of mitts ;D