Author Topic: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 372981 times)

Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #575 on: 08 January, 2013, 09:21:08 am »
Riding to a meeting last night I turn my head to notice a passenger in the Audi alongside me having a proper rant, wagging his finger and everything. Hadn't heard him due to the headphones I was using to make the headwind less of an arse.

I pulled the right earphone out and said, "sorry I missed that".

To which he replied, "Why don't you get a f**king car".

My response, "Thanks but I've already got one, I don't need two cars". Pushed earphone back in and carried on leaving the idiot looking a bit confused.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #576 on: 08 January, 2013, 09:37:07 am »
Last time I was asked that question, I replied 'because I don't want to be that late for work' as I overtook.
Getting there...

« Reply #577 on: 08 January, 2013, 11:00:36 am »
Riding to a meeting last night I turn my head to notice a passenger in the Audi alongside me having a proper rant, wagging his finger and everything. Hadn't heard him due to the headphones I was using to make the headwind less of an arse.

I pulled the right earphone out and said, "sorry I missed that".

To which he replied, "Why don't you get a f**king car".

My response, "Thanks but I've already got one, I don't need two cars". Pushed earphone back in and carried on leaving the idiot looking a bit confused.

You could also say, "Why don't you?" as he was a passenger.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #578 on: 08 January, 2013, 07:05:43 pm »
I had a bizarre one at the weekend. Passenger in a Saxo, "You're French!"  ???
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #579 on: 09 January, 2013, 09:49:47 am »
I'm still waiting to be called gay by one of two men in a car. The response is  "Me gay? You're the one out with your boyfriend!"
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #580 on: 09 January, 2013, 10:06:42 am »
Waiting in Salford the other week for my gf to arrive on her bike for the commute home (She had got stopped by a cyclist to ask where she (gf) got her Assos hat. I'm on a fixie, I'm in cycling kit with a pink hi-vis vest and passing yoof (tracksuit, drippy nose) wanders past, looks at me/bike/me and asks what I'm doing. A discussion then takes place about none of his business and am I the Police because I'm not very good!! I pointed out that he was having a discussion whilst standing there scrathing his nuts thro' his tracksuit. He wandered off to his world.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #581 on: 09 January, 2013, 12:46:45 pm »
I'm still waiting to be called gay by one of two men in a car. The response is  "Me gay? You're the one out with your boyfriend!"

I got called gay by an unimaginative kid on a skateboard on critical mass last Friday (as shown from 1:30 in this video, in fact - I'm behind the guy with the camera).  I turned to the person on my right and said wearily "I suppose I should take that as a compliment".

fuzzy

« Reply #582 on: 09 January, 2013, 12:50:58 pm »

I got called gay by an unimaginative kid on a skateboard on critical mass last Friday (as shown from 1:30 in this video, in fact - I'm behind the guy with the camera).  I turned to the person on my right and said wearily "I suppose I should take that as a compliment".

Can't see the video but, I am guessing the unimaginative skatebording kid was an unimaginative skateboarding lad.

if that is the case you missed an opportunity-

USL- "GAY!"

Kim- Looks USL up and down, rolls her eyes and utters "Can you blame me?"

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #583 on: 09 January, 2013, 01:05:17 pm »
USL- "GAY!"

Kim- Looks USL up and down, rolls her eyes and utters "Can you blame me?"

*files away for future reference*   :D

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #584 on: 13 January, 2013, 03:54:20 pm »
Out on the clubrun today and two little boys about 8-9 years old walking on the pavement shouted "Single file!" How depressing. They're ten years away from driving a car and they already think that cyclists shouldn't be allowed out on the road.

I was so angry at this I turned round and shouted sternly "No! Read the Highway Code!"

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #585 on: 13 January, 2013, 04:01:42 pm »
On the commute on Friday and not really an oik, more a elderly gentleman of alternative thinking:

"He's still right behind you, HA HA HA!"

???

« Reply #586 on: 13 January, 2013, 08:46:55 pm »
Youngish Female rider of one of pair of horses passing YACF group, two of whom were on recumbants. Quote 'How cool is that!'
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #587 on: 14 January, 2013, 05:53:48 pm »
I may have been that oik today.

Although said "cyclist" had no lights on and was swerving between me and two parked cars as I was in the middle of parallel parking, so I think the dimwit deserved it.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #588 on: 14 January, 2013, 06:22:29 pm »
About to leave friends' house on a ride yesterday, two youths on a bmx & BSO rode past (latter carrying a huge amount of fishing equipment):
'Blah blah blah boike blah blah'
No idea what he said. I don't feel that I lost out, somehow.

Not oiks, but later out in the fens, we passed a couple of women on horses, one on the verge, another on a HUGE plough horse (Suffolk Punch or similar), exchanged 'good morning's, then as we slowly passed:
'I bet our bums are warmer than yours!'

;D

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #589 on: 29 January, 2013, 09:30:17 pm »
Two in one 10km ride today. The first was a Peugeot 106 passenger making monkey chants as i climbed Inkerman Terrace, and the second was a 'WHERGGGGGHIRGGGH'* from a beaten up old Ford Orion which had messed up pulling out of the petrol station as I was going faster than they thought.

*Well that's what it sounded like
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #590 on: 05 February, 2013, 07:59:39 pm »
On my way to work this morning. Snow on icy roads all the way with gridlock and cars stuck everywhere. No problems on my marathon Winters...
Going up a hill past many motionless cars with spinning wheeks, a bloke winds down his window and yells.
"Oi mate, how about a tow!"

ian

« Reply #591 on: 05 February, 2013, 09:11:41 pm »
I'd stopped at a junction to let a car pass along the road in front. Followed her to the next junction where she admonished me:

"You weren't going to stop!"

She must have mental telepathy, I suppose. Faulty mental telepathy at that. I really had no plans to cycle into the side of her car so I didn't just intend stopping, I actually did stop. In the steady and calm fashion of someone who had planned to stop. OK, I was coming down a hill, but I didn't exactly skid to a halt.

I don't know what goes on in their minds sometimes. I think they see a bike and OMG WHAT DO I DO IT'S COMING TOWARDS ME!!!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #592 on: 05 February, 2013, 09:19:49 pm »
Ah yes, reminds me of a story I posted in the previous place.
I was riding towards a crossing that was being crossed by a ped.
Her:  (shouty) "You're supposed to stop"
Me:  (Still on freewheel approach) "Yes, but I thought I'd get there and then stop"
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #593 on: 05 February, 2013, 09:54:27 pm »
It's the assumption that bicycles have two speeds: slightly above walking pace and dangerously out of control.

Hands-on experience of BSO brakes can't help with this perception.

« Reply #594 on: 06 February, 2013, 12:11:03 am »
I had my elbow shaved yesterday by a car in a hurry to catch up to the car in front. I made my usual (non-obscene) pointing finger gesture as he passed indicating that I'd like a little more room please. The car behind (middle aged bloke in a red Celica with body kit) took it upon himself to pass me and then stop in the middle of the road to tell me that the car in front hadn't passed me too close, and even if he had I should be on the cycle path.

I didn't react well. I did point out that if the fat fuck got out of his car and did some exercise occasionally he might have a better appreciation of life outside a car. I also pointed out that I was married and was patronised enough at home and didn't need his help. This would have been a lot more effective if I hadn't been swearing like a sailor in my most aggressive Belfast accent.

He decided to put me in my place by calling me a fucking nutter and driving off, allowing the now substantial tailback behind him to move off. The thing is that his is a fairly distinctive car and there is only one place he can have been going at that time of day, which is the same place I was going.

Postscript.
As I cycled into work, there was a different guy stood at the side of the road waving me down. It turns out that he was the driver of the first car, and he wanted to genuinely apologise for cutting me close, it was a genuine mistake and he was quite upset that he'd done it, being a keen cyclist himself. We shook hands and went on our ways, which rather took the wind out of the rant I was composing for the entertainment of the rest of my office!
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

« Reply #595 on: 06 February, 2013, 12:22:45 am »
Glad you're safe, padbeat; I admire your nerve!  Has your wife seen your post?!

« Reply #596 on: 06 February, 2013, 12:56:01 am »
Erm, no! She got a very edited version of what happened.

What I caouldn't believe is that he stopped in the middle of the carriageway to berate me. How did he think I was going to react? I certainly wasn't going to overtake him - I didn't want him behind me!
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

« Reply #597 on: 07 February, 2013, 01:07:48 am »
It is amazing what people will do, isn't it?  I once had a Stobart's driver stop his lorry on a roundabout, completely blocking it to all traffic, so he could berate me about MY driving (faulty indicator, or something).  And he called ME an idiot (which I am but I'm fussy who says so)!

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #598 on: 13 February, 2013, 07:09:05 am »
Hmmmm

It was the boss driving. With the MD hanging out of the passenger window.

Something about danger. I looked behind, but couldn't see a giant boulder chasing me.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #599 on: 13 February, 2013, 08:34:20 am »
The last time anyone shouted at me I was riding through Shillington when a couple of kids shouted "Yer back wheel's goin' round", so I stopped and looked at it then shouted "No it isn't". :D
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius