Author Topic: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 369346 times)

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #1025 on: 13 May, 2016, 12:00:14 pm »
Fatalistically awaits opportunity to report shout of "Next peadal cyclist rings their bell at my child, I swear I'll do time!"
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

ian

« Reply #1026 on: 13 May, 2016, 07:08:22 pm »
To be honest, as a pedestrian I find bike bells strangely aggressive. I think it's psychological, analogous to car horns in London and New York. Some beeps you in London and it's fuckthefuckoffyoufucker. Someone beeps you in New York City and it's yeahyeahwhatever.

vantage

• As quick as a slug on crutches towing a snail whilst wading through a salt mine!
« Reply #1027 on: 13 May, 2016, 08:48:38 pm »
Can't say I've ever had a negative response from ringing the bell. I've even been thanked for it's use.  :-\
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

« Reply #1028 on: 16 May, 2016, 10:27:43 pm »
Not sure this counts but  wending our way south out of Nantes " Allez! Courage "  from a bloke in a green saloon car.

Likewise being encouraged into acts of hooligan descending on the northern side of the Ardèche gorge while riding a fully-loaded tourer, by the occupants of a Dutch-registered car.
I canoed through that once, but I've never cycled around there.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #1029 on: 17 May, 2016, 09:33:35 am »
Use of a bell seems to invoke absurd reactions sometimes

The probabilities divide roughly into thirds I find:  A third of people will take it in the manner that it's intended[1] "Cyclist coming, don't leap sideways without looking".  Another third will assume it's being used for the de-facto "GET OUT OF MY WAY PEDESTRIAN SCUM!" of a car horn, with an optional startle and sideways leap.  And the rest simply won't hear it.

The only safe context for ringing your bell is in response to a cheerful wave by a small child.

[1] This seems to increase around canal bridges and in the presence of "Cyclists: Use your bell" signs.

This.  I don't even bother now.  I find I get a better response to either 'excuse me' or an oral and jovial 'bing bing!'  - that's got several laughs before now  :thumbsup:
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #1030 on: 17 May, 2016, 09:47:08 am »
On the Middleton way a few weeks ago:

Me:<ting, ting>....<ting, ting>....."Excuse me"...."OI"

Smartarse teenage hiker: "Should've used your bell"

Me: "If you stop blowing the fucking mountain rescue whistle every 2 seconds you might be able to hear it"

::-)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1031 on: 17 May, 2016, 12:24:44 pm »
Not sure this counts but  wending our way south out of Nantes " Allez! Courage "  from a bloke in a green saloon car.

Likewise being encouraged into acts of hooligan descending on the northern side of the Ardèche gorge while riding a fully-loaded tourer, by the occupants of a Dutch-registered car.
I canoed through that once, but I've never cycled around there.

Did the canoe thing some sixteen years after the cycling; it was equally teh aces though Miss von Brandenburg, whose arms seized up to the extent that she had to be fed her dinner that night, may have cause to disagree.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1032 on: 17 May, 2016, 12:30:29 pm »
Use of a bell seems to invoke absurd reactions sometimes

The probabilities divide roughly into thirds I find:  A third of people will take it in the manner that it's intended[1] "Cyclist coming, don't leap sideways without looking".  Another third will assume it's being used for the de-facto "GET OUT OF MY WAY PEDESTRIAN SCUM!" of a car horn, with an optional startle and sideways leap.  And the rest simply won't hear it.

The only safe context for ringing your bell is in response to a cheerful wave by a small child.

[1] This seems to increase around canal bridges and in the presence of "Cyclists: Use your bell" signs.

This.  I don't even bother now.  I find I get a better response to either 'excuse me' or an oral and jovial 'bing bing!'  - that's got several laughs before now  :thumbsup:

If it's not a canal bridge and I want to warn pedestrians of my presence, my preferred method is a noisy front gear change.  It's a noise that says 'bicycle' without any "get out of my way" connotations.  Indeed, it may convey undertones of "I've seen you and am preparing to slow down".

Similarly, the shriek of Kool Stops is undeniably effective, but doesn't always produce the desired result.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1033 on: 17 May, 2016, 12:45:47 pm »

Similarly, the shriek of Kool Stops is undeniably effective, but doesn't always produce the desired result.
Especially approaching horses. The choices facing my chum Keith were the shriek of Kool Stops or approaching the horses at R17.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

caerau

« Reply #1034 on: 17 May, 2016, 12:51:58 pm »
I have a nice noisy freewheel ratchet  - that works very well for those that actually have no headphone on functional hearing

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1035 on: 17 May, 2016, 12:58:12 pm »
I have a nice noisy freewheel ratchet  - that works very well for those that actually have no headphone on functional hearing

That's the other issue I have with ping bells.  It's a single fairly high frequency that sounds a bit like tinnitus, which is what I'd come up with if I had to design a bell that was inaudible to as many people with mild hearing loss as possible.

caerau

« Reply #1036 on: 17 May, 2016, 01:14:42 pm »
Now if it sounded like a mad angry dog coming up behind them...  :demon:

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #1037 on: 18 May, 2016, 01:59:41 pm »
On the subject of bells, I don't have one, BUT someone, and I suspect my lovely other half, has changed the sound my iPhone makes whenever an email is received.....

..... TO A VERY REALISTIC BIKE BELL.......

I'm just hoping that one day an oeick will yell, "Where's your Bell", and I'll get an email at the perfect moment!!  Chew on that, sucker !!
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1038 on: 18 May, 2016, 02:08:48 pm »
I once rang my bring-bring bell and a pedestrian responded by answering their phone.  Comedy gold.

caerau

« Reply #1039 on: 18 May, 2016, 03:27:05 pm »
 :-D

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1040 on: 18 May, 2016, 06:19:33 pm »
Made oi larf:

Quote from: Bus driver
You're a gentleman and a scholar!

After I shuffled across an ASL (which had been partially blocked by another bus driver) to allow room for the bus to get round the corner.

« Reply #1041 on: 19 May, 2016, 08:59:46 pm »
Came up behind a family of three occupying the full width of the two tunnels route. Politely made my presence known by a ping of my bell. Cue Mummy, thinking sprog had rung her bell out of sheer joie de vivre, ringing hers enthusiastically in reply. Sprog responds with energetic ringing. Daddy cheerfully adds his own efforts to the little carillon now echoing through the tunnel. Feeling it churlish not to enter into the spirit of the thing I add my own flourishes. This goes on until it suddenly dawns on Mummy that one of the bells has an unfamiliar timbre . . .

« Reply #1042 on: 19 May, 2016, 10:21:42 pm »
Steroided up angry dad tried to force me off the road, then pulled in front of me, slamming on brakes and shouting the odds.

I remained calm.

He gets back in car, and I go to cycle off, but bus driver is calling out "he tried to run you off the road and threatened you. I've got it all on camera. Call the police, and follow me - I'll show you how to get the footage"

"No, ICBA, happens too often, want to get home to see kids" says me, but he's insisting. I follow, get instructions, and start the call. As I'm speaking to call handler, angry dad arrives trying to shout some more. Call handler didn't mess about. Less than a minute and police arrive with blue lights. They take details, give me card, and say they're going to speak to bus driver.

Seriously, I've had 3 papers accepted in great journals this week, and now a dick head decides to play the bully with his car in front of what may be the only militant camera wielding bus driver in the country*. I should buy a lottery ticket.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1043 on: 19 May, 2016, 11:06:55 pm »
Pleased you've hit a lucky streak, Dr Mekon!
I's 30 years since I last cycled in Headingley...

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #1044 on: 20 May, 2016, 08:39:37 am »
Wow, is there a 'bus driver of the year' award?

Glad the polis took such positive action too.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

« Reply #1045 on: 20 May, 2016, 08:48:39 am »
Wow. Shame it happened in the first place, but what a result. Keep us posted.
Rust never sleeps

Phil W

« Reply #1046 on: 20 May, 2016, 06:23:40 pm »
I used to have a tigger horn on my mountain bike. Used it in a park and two old ladies looked up in the sky for ducks...

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #1047 on: 24 May, 2016, 07:16:01 am »
I once rang my bring-bring bell and a pedestrian responded by answering their phone.  Comedy gold.

My rather loud "ping" bell also sounds like many peoples phone alerts for incoming text/tinface alerts. Similar amusement has been had.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1048 on: 27 May, 2016, 09:19:32 am »
My zero to your power of ten equals A propos of nothing at all:

Quote from: angry twat inna car
GET A FUCKING HELMET!

I was just waiting to enter a roundabout, he was already on the roundabout having just come from my right, so there had been no previous interaction  ??? He sounded really angry, too. Bizarre.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1049 on: 27 May, 2016, 12:18:52 pm »
My zero to your power of ten equals A propos of nothing at all:

Quote from: angry twat inna car
GET A FUCKING HELMET!

I was just waiting to enter a roundabout, he was already on the roundabout having just come from my right, so there had been no previous interaction  ??? He sounded really angry, too. Bizarre.

Probably your fault for not wearing a fucking helmet.  Many people are under the mistaken impression that fucking helmets are a legal requirement for using a bicycle, and at least two of them are angry twats in cars.