Author Topic: Liggett and Sherwinisms TdF 2011  (Read 22771 times)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Re: Liggett and Sherwinisms TdF 2011
« Reply #100 on: 20 July, 2011, 04:21:08 pm »
I think Sherwen just mispronounced "philosophy" in a spectacular fashion - did anybody else catch it?

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #101 on: 20 July, 2011, 06:35:39 pm »
I liked Gary Imlach's comment at the start of the commentary today. Explaining that he and Chris Boardman would be commentating until Phil 'n' Paul picked it up after the ad break, he said something like, "So, meanwhile, if you want to know anything about the chateaux on the route, you'll have to google them."   ;D
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #102 on: 20 July, 2011, 08:09:06 pm »
Sherwin today described Boasson Hagen as "the crown in the jewel" of Sky Racing ;D

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #103 on: 21 July, 2011, 09:48:04 am »
Sherwin today described Boasson Hagen as "the crown in the jewel" of Sky Racing ;D
This was done 3 posts (and 4 hours) ago - no prizes for 2nd in this thread!

Gary Imlach is pretty good. He has the huge advantage of a lot of time to prepare very few words, so you can't compare him with L&S directly. I liked his comment after Wiggo (?) packed:
He'll be back home taking solace in friends, family and fridge ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #104 on: 21 July, 2011, 09:58:43 am »
Its Liggets crap pronunciation that really gets me.

Leekeegas, Eddie Boisen hagen, Tommy Voickler, Layopard trek etc etc.  And none of them have any sound basis, he just makes them up! ;D

And whats with shortening everyones names to -------y    Eddie, Tommy , Bertie , franky, Andy  ;D, They're not footballers!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #105 on: 21 July, 2011, 10:06:21 am »
Don't forget Johnny!

Heard on the ITV podcast yesterday that he's bought one of the Welcome To Hoogerland T-shirts for himself.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #106 on: 21 July, 2011, 10:07:42 am »

Leekeegas, Eddie Boisen hagen, Tommy Voickler, Layopard trek etc etc.  And none of them have any sound basis, he just makes them up! ;D
Isn't "Layopard" how the team management insist it's pronounced, and I bet Liquigas is much the same.
At least we don't have to suffer Phil fawning over "Lawnce" any more, and I've only heard Paul once this year refer to the bunch as the "poolotong".  :facepalm:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

citoyen

« Reply #107 on: 21 July, 2011, 10:32:05 am »
"Licky-gas" would be about right. Italian, innit. Phil is slightly off the mark with his "leaky-gas", which just makes it sound like he's talking about his age-related medical complaints.

d.

« Reply #108 on: 21 July, 2011, 10:40:12 am »

And whats with shortening everyones names to -------y    Eddie, Tommy , Bertie , franky, Andy  ;D, They're not footballers!

Not to mention Jelle Vanenert/vanendert/Vanert.

It's Van Endert. "Of Endert". They'll be referring to Stert Ograddi next, like the French commentators*. Still, at least they called Vanendert "Jelle" (pronounced "Yella") and not "Jelly".

You'd think Sherwen, with his African connections, would know a bit about Dutch pronounciation.

And just don't get me started on the way they say "Saur-Sojasun".

*Or the Aussies who called David Etxebarria "David Extra Barrier".
The journey is always more important than the destination

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #109 on: 21 July, 2011, 10:57:47 am »
"Licky-gas" would be about right. Italian, innit. Phil is slightly off the mark with his "leaky-gas", which just makes it sound like he's talking about his age-related medical complaints.

d.

Nah Phil's right. "i" in Italian is pronounced "ee".
a great mind thinks alike

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #110 on: 21 July, 2011, 12:37:34 pm »

So it's not pronounced
Eye-tal-yun    ?

IGMC ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #111 on: 21 July, 2011, 12:50:51 pm »
Phil got an English pronunciation wrong when the Tour came to Britain.  He said "The Mawl" instead of The Mall.

Not that it bothers me.  I always enjoy his and Paul's enthusiasm.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

citoyen

« Reply #112 on: 21 July, 2011, 12:54:49 pm »

Up to a point... the way Phil says it is more like "eeeeeeee".

Shame we no longer have the "futon" team to enjoy his pronunciation of.

d.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #113 on: 21 July, 2011, 03:12:59 pm »

It's Van Endert. "Of Endert". They'll be referring to Stert Ograddi next, like the French commentators*. Still, at least they called Vanendert "Jelle" (pronounced "Yella") and not "Jelly".

You'd think Sherwen, with his African connections, would know a bit about Dutch pronounciation.

When it's not a road? However, the Italians are fond of putting strade bianchi into the parcours. You can even do a sportive over the strade bianchi, on retro bikes and wearing retro kit, ifyou so wish.

I wonder if they take the trouble to spell strade bianche correctly?
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #114 on: 21 July, 2011, 03:31:17 pm »

When it's not a road? However, the Italians are fond of putting strade bianchi into the parcours. You can even do a sportive over the strade bianchi, on retro bikes and wearing retro kit, ifyou so wish.

I wonder if they take the trouble to spell strade bianche[/i] correctly?

Ok, I did Afrikaans and Latin at school, and Italian is a language I just can't get on with. Does the name "Salvatore" indicate an advantage here?   :)

« Reply #115 on: 21 July, 2011, 03:32:21 pm »
"He's staring down the barrel of another 20 points here."

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #116 on: 21 July, 2011, 03:46:24 pm »

Ok, I did Afrikaans and Latin at school, and Italian is a language I just can't get on with. Does the name "Salvatore" indicate an advantage here?   :)

Not really - I did German, French, Latin and a little Spanish at school (and German at uni). I went through an Italian phase a couple of years ago, enough to know that fem. pl. ending is usually -e (like -ae in Latin).

« Reply #117 on: 21 July, 2011, 03:58:13 pm »

Not really - I did German, French, Latin and a little Spanish at school (and German at uni). I went through an Italian phase a couple of years ago, enough to know that fem. pl. ending is usually -e (like -ae in Latin).

And the adjective should agree with the noun, presumably?

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #118 on: 21 July, 2011, 04:10:01 pm »

Yup.

Sing       Pl
M    bianco  bianchi
F     bianca  bianche

[fingers crossed that I haven't made a gaffe]

« Reply #119 on: 21 July, 2011, 04:14:52 pm »
"The riders will be taking it straight down the long drop."  Today, as they crested the first HC.  :D
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #120 on: 21 July, 2011, 06:07:18 pm »

Yup.

Sing       Pl
M    bianco  bianchi
F     bianca  bianche

So is this right:
"Win a Ribble Sportive bianco."
?

Met a cyclotourist the other week, he'd just been in Italy. Not knowing any Italian, at one point he restorted to:

" Habeus aqua? "
which apparently did the job!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #121 on: 21 July, 2011, 06:22:33 pm »

/

Yup.

Sing       Pl
M    bianco  bianchi
F     bianca  bianche

Gosh, where does the "h" in the plural come from? No wonder I can't get on with Italian - it always seems to me to involve too many characters (although so does Dutch, which I can just about read - how on earth does "News" (English) or "Nuus" (Afrikaans) become "Nieeuws"?).

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #122 on: 21 July, 2011, 07:04:20 pm »

/

Yup.

Sing       Pl
M    bianco  bianchi
F     bianca  bianche

Gosh, where does the "h" in the plural come from? No wonder I can't get on with Italian - it always seems to me to involve too many characters (although so does Dutch, which I can just about read - how on earth does "News" (English) or "Nuus" (Afrikaans) become "Nieeuws"?).

co + ca are pronounced with a plosive c (as in english cat)
ci + ce would be pronounced with an affricate (as in english chat)
but the h means the c isn't followed by an i or an e, so the plosive is retained

So is this right:
"Win a Ribble Sportive bianco."
?
If 'sportive' is masculine, yes. But it's a French word, and feminine, so I would have thought 'sportive blanche'  would be better, but I'm sure Ribble's marketing dept know what they are doing.
Habeus aqua?
He wouldn't have got a drop from me unless he knew when to use the accusative (but a bonus bidon-full for the enclitic).
habesne aquam? or desidero aquam

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #123 on: 22 July, 2011, 11:05:34 am »
Met a cyclotourist the other week, he'd just been in Italy. Not knowing any Italian, at one point he restorted to:

" Habeus aqua? "
which apparently did the job!

I recall a story concerning Max Mosley and an Italian racing driver, whose name I forget.  Mosley was acting as his race engineer back in the days of March, and spoke no Italian, while the driver spoke no English.  You can probably guess the rest.

Currus meus fractus est...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

« Reply #124 on: 22 July, 2011, 11:11:31 am »
I studied Italian for a year at Uni and mostly winged it by using the French word but putting an Italian ending on it. Quite an effective tactic on the whole.

d.