Author Topic: Favourite Smells  (Read 16586 times)

Re: Favourite Smells
« Reply #50 on: 08 November, 2008, 07:12:26 am »
A damp, leaf-covered forest trail in autumn after/during rain.

Cinabar perfume.

Freshly-chopped coriander.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Analog Kid

• aka noquitelance
« Reply #51 on: 08 November, 2008, 07:17:53 am »
The smell you get 30 seconds after the cumin, cardomon, cinnamon stick and bay leaf hits the hot oil.

oh and err...

creosote
 ;D
Books are for tourists...

« Reply #52 on: 08 November, 2008, 09:14:00 am »

formaldahyde
malt whisky

« Reply #53 on: 08 November, 2008, 09:17:16 am »
As I was discussing with a colleague earlier today, the Coffee Importers in Bromley where the roasting machine (a sort of mesh tumble drier with a gas burner underneath) was in the window venting the roasting smells into the street. You could smell it from 100 yards away, but in a much nicer way than a branch of Lush.
Long gone now alas.

Years ago I was cycling in The Netherlands and started smelling coffee being roasted. After a few miles it had got to the point of being nauseating, then a bit further was the Douwe Egberts coffee factory

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #54 on: 08 November, 2008, 09:19:31 am »
+1 for creosote. Mmmmm. Sadly, no matter how attractive the little bottle I put it in I just can not get Mrs. TKP to wear it. Shame.  ;D

« Reply #55 on: 08 November, 2008, 09:37:32 am »
+1 for creosote. Mmmmm. Sadly, no matter how attractive the little bottle I put it in I just can not get Mrs. TKP to wear it. Shame.  ;D

Be fair it is a banned carcinogen you know
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #56 on: 08 November, 2008, 09:56:17 am »

formaldahyde
malt whisky

I think Medical School might put people off the first; months in the Dissecting Room did nothing to endear me to the smell of formalin.

annie

« Reply #57 on: 08 November, 2008, 10:08:53 am »
The smell of stables and boiled linseed

Puppies

Moulton Brown Davana Blossom body cream :)

Skin after a long soak in the bath with essential oils

Grease

« Reply #58 on: 08 November, 2008, 10:24:04 am »

formaldahyde
malt whisky

I think Medical School might put people off the first; months in the Dissecting Room did nothing to endear me to the smell of formalin.

It was from A Level dissection, normally in lunchtimes, its the memories it evokes.

Another one is the old cellophane factory in Bridgewater, it meant we were going on holiday.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #59 on: 08 November, 2008, 10:28:41 am »
The grass-cutting smell; new-mown grass and petrol lawnmower fumes.

Apparently your average lawnmower produces as many toxic pollutants (CO, NOx, HC) in one hour as a new car driven for 8,000 miles.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #60 on: 08 November, 2008, 10:41:23 am »
One for the WD40 lovers:

b3ta.com board

LEE

« Reply #61 on: 08 November, 2008, 10:57:18 am »
Certainly nothing seems to instantly fill your head with a nostalgic image than a particular smell.

Meths - Instantly transported back 35 years to my back garden in Hazel Grove, Stockport.  Carefully filling the lint-filled burner tray of my Mamod model Steam Roller.

(Yes children, before Playstations, we were encouraged to play with fire and highly pressurised steam.  What could possibly go wrong?)

Baking Cakes/Biscuits - I'm now cycling along the A6 to Openshaw Tech for my night-school class, circa 1982, I'm just passing the McVities factory.  

Fish & Chips (although they have never in all my life tasted as good as they smelled)

Best of all though is Bacon cooking, preferably outside a tent.  Bacon can taste as good as it smells.

Here we see Chillmoister doing the honours while Urban_Biker drools onto his shoe

Hands up if you can smell that through your PC monitor

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #62 on: 08 November, 2008, 10:59:34 am »
Ardbeg distillery  :P

« Reply #63 on: 08 November, 2008, 11:19:12 am »
As I was discussing with a colleague earlier today, the Coffee Importers in Bromley where the roasting machine (a sort of mesh tumble drier with a gas burner underneath) was in the window venting the roasting smells into the street. You could smell it from 100 yards away, but in a much nicer way than a branch of Lush.
Long gone now alas.

There was one in Golders Green when I was a kid and one somewhere in Ealing in the mid 1990s. I suppose that's gone too. (Can Ealing's yacfers enlighten?) I lurved that aroma...

There used to be one in Exeter, near the Blue Boy, until they knocked it all down to build a new shopping centre.

I think there must be one somewhere near Queenstown Road in Battersea, quite often when I cycle through in the mornings there is a wonderful whiff of coffee.

For me two of the most evocative smells are grass after some rain (already mentioned by someone) and celery, which I love the smell of, even though it's a bit "meh" to eat.
Actually, it is rocket science.

LE

« Reply #64 on: 08 November, 2008, 12:30:39 pm »
White spirits
Lavender

Analog Kid

• aka noquitelance
« Reply #65 on: 08 November, 2008, 03:51:19 pm »

You'd think the fact that one coat would see her through winter would have sold the idea
 :thumbsup:

Be fair it is a banned carcinogen you know

Odd really - our garden shed looked quite well on the stuff.

;D
Books are for tourists...

« Reply #66 on: 08 November, 2008, 04:06:43 pm »
Rosewood.  Actually, quite a few species of wood.

Morning wood?  ;)
Actually, that's more Reg's thang

I always liked the smell of castor oil at speedway racing

;D ;D I'm sure that was Castrol R not castor oil  ;D ;D

Castrol R IS Castor oil (based). Castrol even gets its name from Castor/oil.

« Reply #67 on: 08 November, 2008, 04:13:57 pm »
Ethyl ethanoate, lovely smell. Makes me think of chemistry at school and also being little kid eating boiled sweets.
Proper coffee on a morning - makes me think of weekends.
Babies - that talc, Johnsons and warm smell.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #68 on: 08 November, 2008, 04:35:28 pm »
fresh ground coffee
Fried bacon
damp earth after rain

GillP

« Reply #69 on: 08 November, 2008, 04:56:55 pm »

You'd think the fact that one coat would see her through winter would have sold the idea
 :thumbsup:

One coat is just not enough  ;D

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #70 on: 08 November, 2008, 08:43:52 pm »

Morning wood?  ;)

Learn something new every day here  ;D
"Don't stop pedalling"

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #71 on: 08 November, 2008, 08:49:16 pm »

Morning wood?  ;)

Learn something new every day here  ;D

Sopwith Camel aeroplanes used a total-loss lubrication system.  Because the engines were air-cooled, castor oil was preferred (it's good for very arduous conditions, its main limitation being that it goes gummy, so is only suitable for total-loss or race engines which are regularly rebuilt). 

Anyway, the pilots breathed in so much of the stuff that, if they lived beyond their first few sorties, they had constant squits.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #72 on: 11 November, 2008, 02:57:33 pm »
Driving through Aston, Brum on the A38M you were always presented with the hoppy smells of the Ansells brewery (closed by an engineered strike early in Thatcherism) and the pungently spicy and rich odour of the HP Sauce factory (moved by Danone (?) to Holland).

The tedious drive is now a much poorer experience.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #73 on: 11 November, 2008, 03:07:45 pm »
The smell of vehicles, like at the truck stop area of m/way service stations  :-\

My favorite smell though is the smell of Emily's skin, on her tummy, just by her hip.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #74 on: 11 November, 2008, 03:30:28 pm »
Anyway, the pilots breathed in so much of the stuff that, if they lived beyond their first few sorties, they had constant squits.

"I say, Biggles!", cried Algy.  "Are you coming to the Officers' Mess for a few post-sortie snifters after finally trouncing that infamous bounder Baron Erich von Stalhein?"

"No, I'm afraid not, Algy old pal" said Biggles.  "Thanks to that damnable hundred-and-ten horsepower, piston-engined Sopwith Camel and its total loss lubrication system, I've got a terrible case of the turtle's head and if I don't get to the latrines pretty swiftly, my arse is going to start chattering like a .303 Vickers machine gun and I'm going to soil my smart new uniform trousers again."
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk