Author Topic: Anyone else got an air rifle ?  (Read 30563 times)

Anyone else got an air rifle ?
« on: 25 June, 2010, 10:32:42 am »
Just bought one yesterday and spent a fun couple of hours at my dads plinking away at a target we set-up in his garden. My mum said it reminded her of the way we were when I was a kid.
Anyway excellent fun. Turns out I am a better shot then him at the moment which annoyed him as he was a marksman in his army days (way back in the early 60s). Better shot is a very relative term here though as I think it will take some months of practice before I can think about getting some bunnies for the pot (don't think its fair to even attempt hunting unless you are fairly certain of a clean shot).
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
Re: Anyone else got an air rifle ?
« Reply #1 on: 25 June, 2010, 10:48:39 am »
I've had both air rifles and a pistol for years, although it's all just for plinking.  My rifle is currently bust though, and with cats around, it's kind of on the back burner these days.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 25 June, 2010, 10:50:13 am »
I keep meaning to buy myself a nice air rifle.  I'm thinking C02 precharged with a scope, maybe.  What did you get?  
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #3 on: 25 June, 2010, 11:04:04 am »
a Weihrauch HW99s in .22 Its a break barrel spring powered rifle with nice open sites (I bough a telescopic site as well though). I wanted something simple but accurate so discounted COs charged ones. I was originally thinking about a BSA but the quality has gone down since they started assembling them in Spain apparently and certainly the ones they showed me in the shop whilst a little cheaper were no where near as well finished as the Weihrauchs.
If you are going to buy one have a shop around as the prices vary wildly. I haggled the price down on the one I got a bit and it still wasn't the cheapest price I have seen but it was an official import and the service in the shop was excellent they spent ages with me helping me choose between several rifles after I explained what I wanted it for.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: 25 June, 2010, 11:11:38 am »
Try searching for 'Daystate'

IIRC used to manufacture rifles for the Olympic teams. Based in Stone, Staffs.

This info could be 20 years out of date. Results may vary.

I keep meaning to buy myself a nice air rifle.  I'm thinking C02 precharged with a scope, maybe.  What did you get? 
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

LEE

« Reply #5 on: 25 June, 2010, 11:11:59 am »
Can't go wrong with a Weihrauch, much better than BSA (better than almost anything else really).

HW97K (underlever) is on my things to buy one day.

Their HW100 (pre-charged) is the one I'd get if money were no object and lots of dead rabbits was my objective.

« Reply #6 on: 25 June, 2010, 11:21:57 am »
More from nostalgia than necessity, a few months ago I bought a .177 Weihrauch Hw35 off an airgun forum. It's a lovely gun, but bloody heavy! It was the gun I aspired to in the late '70s when I had a BSA Mercury .177. I keep meaning to get some different front sight inserts, as the one I have is rather too thick.

When I lived in Sweden, I harboured a desire to buy a .30 air rifle there and bring it back in the car, but if I'd been caught, I'd've been in deep shit, it being a firearm at that kinetic energy. (Those days, the Swedes categorised rifles by muzzle velocity, not kinetic energy - apprently.)
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #7 on: 25 June, 2010, 11:29:19 am »
Theoben

Mmmmm.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #8 on: 25 June, 2010, 01:44:18 pm »
I have one for the garden; squirrel genocide.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #9 on: 25 June, 2010, 02:13:07 pm »
Ho yus:  Weihrauch (my other half has an HW77K from waaaaay back), Daystate and Theoben.  Charlotte:  look for the Rapid 7 / Rapid 10.  Then look for the 40ft-lbs FAC-rated versions.  You want to shoot vermin...?

There used to be a UK company called Skan, who produced a pre-charged pneumatic in a bullpup version, but I don't know if they're still around.  Very 'tactical' if you like that sort of thing.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #10 on: 25 June, 2010, 02:52:05 pm »
Can you get a FAC license easily if you live in the middle of a city ? Can't see why you need a FAC air rifle in the first place really for target shooting. You just want a .117. Should be accurate to 35 - 40 yards. A .22 is better for hunting and OK to about 35 yards. Really after that I would be thinking about a 22 rimfire if wanted to hunt at longer distances and could be arsed with FAC.

« Reply #11 on: 25 June, 2010, 03:58:08 pm »
I have the odd one laying around  ;)

« Reply #12 on: 25 June, 2010, 04:08:33 pm »
Air Arms TX200 Mk3
HW45

fuzzy

« Reply #13 on: 25 June, 2010, 04:15:28 pm »
My youngest has  an air rifle, the manufacturer of which i can't recall. .177 break barrel thing with wood effect plastic stock and butt. Not what you would call a quality weapon. He never uses it now.

He and his elder brother have however booked a day at Xsite airsoft as part of my Fathers Day present. Saturday 3rd July sees me getting shot to shit I suspect ;D

« Reply #14 on: 25 June, 2010, 04:20:27 pm »
HW77 which I haven't used in years. I went round the theoben factory 25 years ago and they were years ahead of their time. Nice people too! 

Zoidburg

« Reply #15 on: 25 June, 2010, 05:49:26 pm »
Apart from some cheapy plinkers I have owned both a HW80 and a Diana model 34

The Diana was the nicer gun but the trigger was not as good as the standard "Record" unit  on the HW80.

Chris S

« Reply #16 on: 25 June, 2010, 05:55:41 pm »
I have an ancient BSA I bought at a boot sale donkey's years ago.

It'll take out a pigeon coke can at least 30m away.

Which reminds me. We have a bit of a pigeon coke can issue around the veggie garden - must get some more pellets.

« Reply #17 on: 25 June, 2010, 06:00:59 pm »
Ex Weihrauch owner here!  HW77.  Lovely German engineering ;D  Actually ended up selling it to my dad since he has space to shoot and I don't.  He also has a precharged jobby, axsor I think.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #18 on: 25 June, 2010, 06:02:22 pm »
I think it will take some months of practice before I can think about getting some bunnies for the pot (don't think its fair to even attempt hunting unless you are fairly certain of a clean shot).

I'm not sure how much difference it makes.

I never practised but many moons ago, when Peter Rabbit had taken up residence in my dad's veg patch, drastic measures were taken. I borrowed a .22 from a pal, sat in the bedroom with the window open until said bunny appeared. One shot was all it took (probably about 30 - 40 yards away) which went straight through its thoracic cavity. It bounced about until I got down there to whack it on the head.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

LEE

« Reply #19 on: 25 June, 2010, 06:18:30 pm »
I think it will take some months of practice before I can think about getting some bunnies for the pot (don't think its fair to even attempt hunting unless you are fairly certain of a clean shot).

I never practised but many moons ago, when Peter Rabbit had taken up residence in my dad's veg patch, drastic measures were taken. I borrowed a .22 from a pal, sat in the bedroom with the window open until said bunny appeared. One shot was all it took (probably about 30 - 40 yards away) which went straight through its thoracic cavity. It bounced about until I got down there to whack it on the head.

For dad's Veg Patch read: Dallas
For bedroom read: Book Depository

« Reply #20 on: 25 June, 2010, 07:23:38 pm »

Santa shoots fluffy bunnykins   :o :o :o

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #21 on: 25 June, 2010, 08:30:15 pm »
I used to be a crackshot with a friend's .177 rifle.  We used to mainly shoot bits of clay flowerpot 'cos they explode in a satisfying way.  And his dad's shed with Prometheus hunting pellets, just because you got a neat little hole in one wall lined with the plastic sabot and the steel pellet embedded in the opposite wall.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Zoidburg

« Reply #22 on: 25 June, 2010, 08:37:06 pm »
If you pack the skirt of the pellet full of red match heads you can make tracer ammo.

:hand:

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #23 on: 25 June, 2010, 09:06:42 pm »
There is a .177 in the cupboard under the stairs which I've had since late 70's. Maybe I should get it out and shoot something. Don't even know what make it is.  :-\
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Zoidburg

« Reply #24 on: 25 June, 2010, 09:10:28 pm »
It might be worth getting a dealer to strip it down, the piston might need a clean and regrease and the barrel seal has most likely perished by now as they were made from oiled leather or rubber, you can also check for rust or pitting in the rifling and have a look at the muzzle crown (rifle unloaded, not cocked but broken of course) as well to make sure it's still even and rust free.