Author Topic: St Jude's Stormwatch (mainly for shandy-drinking southerners)  (Read 12536 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: St Jude's Stormwatch (mainly for shandy-drinking southerners)
« Reply #125 on: 29 October, 2013, 10:35:17 am »
Do they dig the tunnels and put the tubes in them or dig tunnels inside the tubes?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #126 on: 29 October, 2013, 10:53:31 am »
Usually they dig a trench, put in a tube, then fill in the trench.

But sometimes they actually bore a tunnel, laying tube as they go.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #127 on: 29 October, 2013, 11:00:27 am »
I notice, this morning in one of the DG&D* rags, that they are predicting more of the same for this weekend.

*Doom, Gloom and Despondency...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #128 on: 29 October, 2013, 11:03:13 am »
I think that post was meant to be in the "Mysteries of Life" thread, but never mind.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #129 on: 29 October, 2013, 11:04:39 am »
My fault, I think.  I was alluding to the discussion in that thread to make a silly joke in this.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #130 on: 29 October, 2013, 11:06:59 am »
Well, you and Wascally Weasel between you.  :) And now me too!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #131 on: 29 October, 2013, 11:44:57 am »
They stick to trunk and branch roots.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #132 on: 29 October, 2013, 06:59:53 pm »
How do they get the trees underground? ;)

<sigh> Do try to keep up. On the escalators... </sigh>

;)
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #133 on: 29 October, 2013, 07:06:00 pm »

Only the first couple of lines (the ones built by the Metropolitan Railway and the confusingly named Metropolitan District Railway) were cut and cover.  Everything since has been deep tube, because it's much less disruptive to build.

Some of the proper tubes, like the Central Line, still follow main roads above but that was because it was the only way to avoid the need for permission from hundreds of different property owners.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #134 on: 29 October, 2013, 07:12:33 pm »

Only the first couple of lines (the ones built by the Metropolitan Railway and the confusingly named Metropolitan District Railway) were cut and cover.  Everything since has been deep tube, because it's much less disruptive to build.

Some of the proper tubes, like the Central Line, still follow main roads above but that was because it was the only way to avoid the need for permission from hundreds of different property owners.

'Cut and cover' tunnels use larger trains and allow bicycles off-peak. They include the Metropolitan, East London, Hammersmith & City, District and Circle Lines.
Bicycles are not allowed into 'Deep Tube' tunnels on the Northern, Victoria, Central, Jubilee, Bakerloo and Piccadilly Lines.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #135 on: 29 October, 2013, 09:58:59 pm »
I notice, this morning in one of the DG&D* rags, that they are predicting more of the same for this weekend.

*Doom, Gloom and Despondency...

Fuck.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #136 on: 30 October, 2013, 06:39:08 am »
Did you have to make any "challenging" landings, Tim?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #137 on: 30 October, 2013, 07:15:13 am »
One of the less significant parks on my commute (so insignificant that Googlemaps don't even identify it as a park, it's between Chatsworth Road and the River Lea - for park lovers everywhere) has a fairly large sized tree on its side. Someone has wrapped it in red and white hazard tape. Why? It's not like it cannot be seen. Its a f'in big tree. On its side. Or is it likely to jump up again, or something? Are dog-emptiers and pram pushers likely to fall victim to an unprovoked tree attack? Wossat all about?

Euan Uzami

« Reply #138 on: 30 October, 2013, 07:15:57 am »
So, did anyone go out for a north easterly ride with the wind behind just to see how fast you could go?

« Reply #139 on: 30 October, 2013, 07:20:22 am »
Had I commuted on Monday, that's what it would've been - sadly I had a day's leave and was doing other things - I did ride south westerly at about 10:00 am, but by that time it had more or less blown itself out.

« Reply #140 on: 30 October, 2013, 09:33:14 am »
One of the less significant parks on my commute (so insignificant that Googlemaps don't even identify it as a park, it's between Chatsworth Road and the River Lea - for park lovers everywhere) has a fairly large sized tree on its side. Someone has wrapped it in red and white hazard tape. Why? It's not like it cannot be seen. Its a f'in big tree. On its side. Or is it likely to jump up again, or something? Are dog-emptiers and pram pushers likely to fall victim to an unprovoked tree attack? Wossat all about?
Arse covering.

If someone climbs about on it and has an accident, the council can say " we marked the fallen tree with hazard warning tape, prior to arranging for it to be disposed of."
<i>Marmite slave</i>

TimC

« Reply #141 on: 30 October, 2013, 01:03:30 pm »
I landed at Heathrow from China on Saturday afternoon. The wind at the surface was around 220/7kts - a light breeze. At 200ft it was about 40kts. It was a lively approach!

« Reply #142 on: 30 October, 2013, 02:22:09 pm »
I landed at Heathrow from China on Saturday afternoon. The wind at the surface was around 220/7kts - a light breeze. At 200ft it was about 40kts. It was a lively approach!
Pray tell me, sir; how well would an autopilot coped with that?

and would you, personally, like to be on the plane when they decided to find out.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #143 on: 30 October, 2013, 02:24:58 pm »
Aye, I think he may have had to wake up for that particular landing ;)
Getting there...

TimC

« Reply #144 on: 01 November, 2013, 06:49:42 pm »
Pray tell me, sir; how well would an autopilot coped with that?

and would you, personally, like to be on the plane when they decided to find out.

An autoland would have been fine, so long as the ILS signal was protected as is required for CAT3 operations - ie, aircraft on the ground kept further from the runway, arrival spacings increased by 50-100% etc. Those provisions cause chaos when they're invoked, which is why we very rarely do an autoland in anything other than very poor visibility. In the Airbus, the surface wind limits for autoland (in UK) are 35kt total, 20kts across and 10kt tail.

red marley

« Reply #145 on: 05 November, 2013, 05:36:56 pm »

I walked past that tree today. The tape has gone, so probably best to avoid the area until they've re-taped it.

Although it did occur to me later that perhaps it was taped before it fell over properly, in which case the warning would have been a wise one to heed.