Author Topic: The "Oh Dear, I Seem to be Getting Old" thread  (Read 11647 times)

Re: The "Oh Dear, I Seem to be Getting Old" thread
« Reply #50 on: 06 November, 2014, 09:46:32 am »
May I recommend to Marj the remedy of putting whisky in one glass and orange in another? There are three advantages:-

1. The orange tastes better.
2. The whisky tastes better.
3. Having divided, and therefore lightened, the load, you are less likely to exacerbate your hand injury.

I like it

« Reply #51 on: 06 November, 2014, 10:52:57 am »
Wait 'til you start getting offered seats on trains and buses

It's when people stop trying to sell you drugs on the street* you know it's happened.

* No I never took them up on the kind offers
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #52 on: 06 November, 2014, 11:38:28 am »
I went upstairs to get a sweatshirt this morning. Cleaned my teeth and went back down stairs. Then I went upstairs to get a sweatshirt....

This is why old people have painful knees. Too much stairs.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #53 on: 06 November, 2014, 02:23:35 pm »
Wait 'til you start getting offered seats on trains and buses

It's when people stop trying to sell you drugs on the street* you know it's happened.

* No I never took them up on the kind offers

I was 50 the first time someone tried to sell me drugs on my doorstep!  Seems he was under the impression that I had rung Dial-A-Dopehead and requested a delivery of Mary Jane.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #54 on: 06 November, 2014, 03:11:18 pm »
Does that sort of thing happen often, then?

I've had someone offer to sell me drugs exactly once:  A half-arsed "Want to buy some weed?" as I wandered through Camden, and I wouldn't be surprised if the recreational pharmacist in question turned out to have been employed by the council in order to promote local tourism.

People asking if I'm *on* drugs, OTOH, much more common.

Maybe when I'm older?

« Reply #55 on: 06 November, 2014, 03:30:39 pm »
Does that sort of thing happen often, then

Not in the 14 years I've lived in Chester.

A couple of times when I lived in Nth Wales and on a regular basis when I lived in Norwich Peterborough and Liverpool.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #56 on: 06 November, 2014, 04:49:25 pm »
Haven't I already answered this?

« Reply #57 on: 06 November, 2014, 05:00:55 pm »
I was under the impression that as you got older you were offered drugs more frequently.

Advantage of being old........FREE DRUGS.

Posting as someone who's going to his doctors tomorrow for a free Flu jab.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

« Reply #58 on: 06 November, 2014, 05:06:14 pm »
I had a conversation with TGLOTH on a subject of which we're both well acquainted. There were multiple instances where things were described rather than named on both sides. Communication was had but it does get a bit irritating that you can't recall the common name for something that you can describe in minute detail.

As for fireworks, I do now wonder whether there should be some kind of organised regulation regarding the deployment and enjoyment thereof.

As for being offered drug by the Yoof. I can't help but notice the increasing frequency with which people of may age "definitely look like coppers". Not yet in the age bracket in which the Yoof enquire whether or not I've got some scripts for sale though.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #59 on: 06 November, 2014, 08:27:53 pm »
I was 50 the first time someone tried to sell me drugs on my doorstep!

I had no idea this service was even available. The last time I was aware of any mind altering door-to-doorness it was Davenports off a wagon.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #60 on: 06 November, 2014, 09:26:15 pm »
Does that sort of thing happen often, then?

No, but then I turned 50 in February and then spent the next three months in the Gulag, so there hasn't been a massive amount of time for itinerant weed dealers to come a-knockin'.  Also he hasn't been back.

I've been getting Substances offered to me on the streets, especially Camden and Brixton, since I was a Penniless Student Oaf though.

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
« Reply #61 on: 06 November, 2014, 10:15:55 pm »
Mrs.Lower Gear had just turned 40 when our first little gear was due; she was not amused to be clinically described as an "elderly primigravida".  :(  In the olden days the term applied to 35 and over; at least its now been revised to 40 and over... 

« Reply #62 on: 06 November, 2014, 11:23:50 pm »
Mrs.Lower Gear had just turned 40 when our first little gear was due; she was not amused to be clinically described as an "elderly primigravida".  :(  In the olden days the term applied to 35 and over; at least its now been revised to 40 and over...
My Doctor mentioned several times during my pregnancy that I was an 'elderly lady'! Good thing I'm not sensitive ;D.

Nobody has ever offered me drugs in the street to my knowledge.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #63 on: 07 November, 2014, 09:27:04 am »
One of the challenges in my seven year-old's homework this week is to come up with a list of suggestions to make his male teacher (who I would put in his early 30s) "less cool". 

Top of his list:

1. Dress like my Dad
2. Buy a bicycle

Hmm. Today I have dressed head to toe in black  8)   He noticed  :thumbsup:

Number 2 is non-negotiable though.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #64 on: 07 November, 2014, 10:15:23 am »
I was on the train the other day, standing. On seats next to me were 3 bright young things chatting merrily away. I took them to be in their mid/late teens. Gradually it dawned on me that they were discussing the ages of their mothers; I have a stepdaughter older than their mothers.

I was literally old enough to be their grandfather. Should have made them stand up out of respect and give me their seat!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #65 on: 07 November, 2014, 10:15:49 am »
Redlight addresses his inner Goth...

Snakebite and black, anyone?

Ginger Goth = Duracell.  Trufax.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #66 on: 07 November, 2014, 12:15:50 pm »
I was on the train the other day, standing. On seats next to me were 3 bright young things chatting merrily away. I took them to be in their mid/late teens. Gradually it dawned on me that they were discussing the ages of their mothers; I have a stepdaughter older than their mothers.

I was literally old enough to be their grandfather. Should have made them stand up out of respect and give me their seat!

My mum was 33 when I started senior school; many of my former classmates have children that age.

« Reply #67 on: 07 November, 2014, 05:48:32 pm »
I was chatting to someone after ParkRun last week and he started talking about grandchildren (meaning mine not his!). Then he realised that this might be making a bit of an assumption and got into a terrible confusion trying to apologise. I hope my explaining that, although I don't have any children, my father was a grandfather by the time he got to my age made him feel a bit better! (55 for the record)
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #68 on: 07 November, 2014, 10:10:36 pm »
I was chatting to someone after ParkRun last week and he started talking about grandchildren (meaning mine not his!). Then he realised that this might be making a bit of an assumption and got into a terrible confusion trying to apologise. I hope my explaining that, although I don't have any children, my father was a grandfather by the time he got to my age made him feel a bit better! (55 for the record)

I'm 58, and due to become a great-aunt for the first time next month.  Our family (on both sides) tend to marry late.  I have a habit of walking with my hands clasped behind  my back, and an aunt once told me I'd copied that from my father, who died when I was four.  He, when he was young, copied it from his grandfather,  who was born in 1815  :o

I wonder who he copied it from?  ???
Jennifer - Walker of hills

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
« Reply #69 on: 07 November, 2014, 10:28:35 pm »
When families marry late for a number of generations, a considerable discrepancy over the ages of grandparents and great grandparents compared to 'normal' folk can gradually arise:

My father worked with the great-grandfather, the father, and the brother of one of my primary school classmates.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #70 on: 07 November, 2014, 10:36:41 pm »

I'm 58, and due to become a great-aunt for the first time next month.  Our family (on both sides) tend to marry late.  I have a habit of walking with my hands clasped behind  my back, and an aunt once told me I'd copied that from my father, who died when I was four.  He, when he was young, copied it from his grandfather,  who was born in 1815  :o

I wonder who he copied it from?  ???

Prince Charles :demon:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #71 on: 08 November, 2014, 06:16:12 pm »
I actually have an identity card.

The date on the first stamp is 6th April 1949.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #72 on: 08 November, 2014, 06:24:49 pm »
So you were number 465 in the Registrar's book when your birth was registered and your old NHS number was MAH 465.

Shame the new NHS numbers don't relate to the birth certificate...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #73 on: 08 November, 2014, 09:51:18 pm »
And your name isn't really Basil :'(

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #74 on: 08 November, 2014, 10:44:24 pm »
Rumbled.   :)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.