Author Topic: The 'Keep Christmas in December' rant thread  (Read 17222 times)

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
The 'Keep Christmas in December' rant thread
« on: 13 November, 2015, 11:08:31 am »
The Coop are selling mince pies and chocolate logs that have best before dates in November.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
Re: The 'Keep Chirstmas in December' rant thread
« Reply #1 on: 13 November, 2015, 11:15:25 am »
Yeah, I've just bought Lidl mince pies for my old mum
that 'expire' on 12.12. *

But it's just training for the main event....

* but most of her cupboard contents have prodigiously expired sell by dates on 'em

« Reply #2 on: 13 November, 2015, 11:20:31 am »
why would (and how can) anyone keep mince pies for more than about 30 minutes?  they're lovely...

« Reply #3 on: 13 November, 2015, 11:24:32 am »
You think mince pies are nice try Ecclefechan tarts.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: 13 November, 2015, 12:09:33 pm »
The Coop are selling mince pies and chocolate logs that have best before dates in November.
Is there any reason we can't eat them in November ? Or July ?

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #5 on: 13 November, 2015, 12:32:30 pm »
You think mince pies are nice try Ecclefechan tarts.

Or Fuckin'effin cakes, as I call them.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The 'Keep Christmas in December' rant thread
« Reply #6 on: 13 November, 2015, 12:37:52 pm »
Birmingham.  Christmas.  Market.

That is all.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #7 on: 13 November, 2015, 12:40:30 pm »
Please don't get me started on Christmas ranting.  I'm not someone that thinks hating stuff is a particularly clever thing for humans to do so I rarely go beyond dislike.  But Christmas is one of the few things I hate.  The fact that it creeps beyond the 12 days of Christmas, none of which are in November, is just one of the many aspects of the festive season that really, really piss me off.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8 on: 13 November, 2015, 12:44:39 pm »
Try the Philippines:
Christmas in the Philippines (Filipino: Pasko sa Pilipinas), one of two predominantly Christian countries in Asia (the other one being East Timor), is one of the biggest holidays in the archipelago. The country has earned the distinction of celebrating the world's longest Christmas season,[1] with Christmas carols heard as early as September and lasting variously until either Epiphany, the Feast of the Black Nazarene on 9 January, or the Feast of the Santo Niño on the third Sunday of January. The official observance by the Church in the Philippines is from the beginning of the Simbang Gabi on 16 December until the Feast of the Epiphany on the first Sunday of the year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_in_the_Philippines
TBH, September to the end of January doesn't sound much different from here.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #9 on: 13 November, 2015, 12:48:28 pm »

That is all.

Just to add...
Edinburgh Chrismas market !

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #10 on: 13 November, 2015, 12:48:50 pm »

That is all.
Is that all? Surely every town has a German Christmas Market (except, presumably, in Germany, where they must have English Christmas Markets)? The other Cudzos ate wurst at Kabots Bezirk* a couple of weeks ago (an annual tradition and the only visit to it).

*Cabot Circus (actually it's Broadmead)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 13 November, 2015, 12:55:05 pm »

That is all.
Is that all? Surely every town has a German Christmas Market

Well yes, but the Birmingham one is particularly special, in the way that it renders the city centre impenetrable for 6 weeks.

(except, presumably, in Germany, where they must have English Christmas Markets)?

I recall reading a review of Frankfurt's traditional Birmingham Christmas Market in The Onion or somewhere.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #12 on: 13 November, 2015, 01:04:21 pm »
At which they eat Brummager sausages?!!!  :D

« Reply #13 on: 13 November, 2015, 02:06:22 pm »
School used to call this term, Michaelmas, which apparently is a festival at the end of September that no one except people naming school terms know about.
Quite a few Michaelmas and Christmas foods seem to be the same.

« Reply #14 on: 13 November, 2015, 02:12:33 pm »
Please don't get me started on Christmas ranting.  I'm not someone that thinks hating stuff is a particularly clever thing for humans to do so I rarely go beyond dislike.  But Christmas is one of the few things I hate.  The fact that it creeps beyond the 12 days of Christmas, none of which are in November, is just one of the many aspects of the festive season that really, really piss me off.

Thanks for not starting ranting about Christmas?!

It's hoying it down here, has been for most of the week and will be for the next few days at least.  I love Christmas and wish I could start singing carols NOW.  I always wait till Advent Sunday, though.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #15 on: 13 November, 2015, 02:14:43 pm »
I would join in but I have just scoffed a Pret Xmas based sarnie and it was very tasty.

Otherwise the festive season can wait until Xmas eve thanks.

« Reply #16 on: 13 November, 2015, 02:15:18 pm »
School used to call this term, Michaelmas, which apparently is a festival at the end of September that no one except people naming school terms know about.
Quite a few Michaelmas and Christmas foods seem to be the same.

Michaelmas is one of the 4 quarter days when traditionally rents were due. Others I think were Lady day in March , Midsummer day and Christmas day
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 13 November, 2015, 02:15:28 pm »

UKC did (does?) that.  I could never work out whether it was due to religious influences, or levels of pretentiousness ill suited to a plate glass university (see also: making a big deal about being collegiate).

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #18 on: 13 November, 2015, 02:24:40 pm »
Apparently we're also getting a Christmas market which means one of the roads I cycle on my commute will be closed from the 21st Nov. And of course, being Aberdeen it will be shite to boot.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #19 on: 13 November, 2015, 02:37:15 pm »

UKC did (does?) that.  I could never work out whether it was due to religious influences, or levels of pretentiousness ill suited to a plate glass university (see also: making a big deal about being collegiate).

Wasn't this originally linked to legal terms, to befuddle Joe Blow with the same kind of confusion as the financial year?

All that aside, I noticed yesterday that the municipal workies were stringing up a load of balls on every lamp-post.  They'll probably still be there in February.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #20 on: 13 November, 2015, 02:45:31 pm »
Apparently we're also getting a Christmas market which means one of the roads I cycle on my commute will be closed from the 21st Nov. And of course, being Aberdeen it will be shite to boot.

The Glasgow one is particularly shite. Loads of cr@ppy wee wooden huts with people Having a Drink inside, out of the driech afternoons and puddles. Over priced and melting ice-rinks, fair ground rides, and an inflatable snow globe you can get your picture taken inside.   Quite possibly this is all Xmas markets and I'm just a miserable old fart but remember shaking my head at all this one afternoon last year.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #21 on: 13 November, 2015, 03:35:01 pm »
Bah Humbug to the whole thing!
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

« Reply #22 on: 13 November, 2015, 04:34:25 pm »
I am used to it being Christmas, my problem is when it stops.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #23 on: 13 November, 2015, 04:42:29 pm »
I've actually been to the actual Christmas Market in the actual Frankfurt am Main and it was, er, um.  BEER.  And sausages.  BEER and sausages.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 13 November, 2015, 04:57:55 pm »
I've actually been to the actual Christmas Market in the actual Frankfurt am Main and it was, er, um.  BEER.  And sausages.  BEER and sausages.

No black country accents?  How disappointing.