Author Topic: Missing the beeps...  (Read 1467 times)

Missing the beeps...
« on: 08 April, 2013, 04:44:00 pm »
I tend to download GPS tracks onto my eTrex 20 from organisers of events, rather than plot my own. However, I've noticed that I don't get the audible beeps for an upcoming turn, even though the device is set to use them. (it's a function that I would find very useful especially when tired).

In order to get this function, do I need to 'plot my own' as it were - and if I do, should this be in the form of a route or a track, or would both give me the 'beep'.

Thank you

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Missing the beeps eTrex 20 and 30 ...
« Reply #1 on: 08 April, 2013, 05:00:34 pm »
Nice one, you have reminded me to raise my own but related issue.  Please excuse my crashing your thread.

I have an eTrex 30 which I programme using Garmin Mapsource City Navigator.  I do get beeps but only as I execute the turn and not before.  This is as much use as a cat flap on a submarine.  As far as I can work it out I have the device set up correctly.

Any thoughts anyone?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Missing the beeps...
« Reply #2 on: 08 April, 2013, 05:09:05 pm »
I think you only get beeps with Routes.  (They're rather quiet anyway.)

You can try setting a 'manual' distance for the prompt, rather than relying on the default auto setting.  On the GPS in Setup, Routing, have a look at 'Off Road Transitions' . 
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3 on: 08 April, 2013, 05:14:39 pm »

You can try setting a 'manual' distance for the prompt, rather than relying on the default auto setting.  On the GPS in Setup, Routing, have a look at 'Off Road Transitions' .

I use routes and have a manual distance prompt set for 30 metres but still get a beep whilst I'm actually doing the turn.

I ride often ride at night and the other annoyance is the backlight doesn't always come on when the unit beeps.  My old eTrex Vista HCx used to behave perfectly in the beep and backlight department but my new E30 is a proper PITA  ::-)

« Reply #4 on: 09 April, 2013, 11:46:31 am »
Get a Satnav with a Bluetooth earpiece.

"In eighty yards, go around the island, second exit."

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5 on: 11 April, 2013, 03:57:46 pm »

I use routes and have a manual distance prompt set for 30 metres but still get a beep whilst I'm actually doing the turn.

I ride often ride at night and the other annoyance is the backlight doesn't always come on when the unit beeps.  My old eTrex Vista HCx used to behave perfectly in the beep and backlight department but my new E30 is a proper PITA  ::-)

I appear to have solved my problem but have a rather shameful admission to make, one that is tantamount to heresy hereabouts ... I have ignored a piece of frankly frankie's advice.  Please don't think badly of me  :'(   :-*   ;D

After reading ff's E30 set up guide I had manual prompts to go off 30m before a turn.  I have now set my device to "auto" and the blessed thing dutifully beeps shortly before the turn and switches on the backlight which stays on until the maneuver is complete - eureka!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 11 April, 2013, 08:52:22 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8auGAJrnpY4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/8auGAJrnpY4&rel=1</a>