Author Topic: Edinburgh Route Advice  (Read 2090 times)

Edinburgh Route Advice
« on: 06 November, 2018, 09:09:15 pm »
Hi folks,
I am planning a route to the AUK reunion in Stirling and would  like some advice. here https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28891395 is part of my route which I will be riding Friday daytime on an upright trike.
Couple of  Q's  for anyone with local knowledge.. Is  there a better route through - Bonnyrigg - Loanhead - Straiton?
and are there there any other alternatives such as some of the cycle routes? I am riding a good distance in total so speed is important. I do hope you can advise...

Re: Edinburgh Route Advice
« Reply #1 on: 07 November, 2018, 09:50:28 am »
Here's a route using the North Edinburgh paths... but I'm not sure if it is any better than the one you've planned (apart from having a reasonable chunk of traffic-free path in the middle).
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7316852
I'm assuming you're happy with your navigation? Some of your route could be a bit of a PITA if you are faffing with maps. I could suggest variations that might be more straightforward. There would be an element of "this is my usual route" though (rather than "this is definitely better because of such a reason").

EDIT - there's a mistake in that route because I ran it north-south rather than south-north. It's a minor thing involving a one-way street which I'll explain if you'd like me to.

« Reply #2 on: 07 November, 2018, 10:50:06 am »
Personally I would prefer Fimm's route through Edinburgh; the route round the south of Edinburgh isn't unpleasant but it is unnecessarily lumpy.

However I wouldn't go through Bo'ness or Grangemouth if I could avoid them - they are two of the most dreary towns imaginable. Probably the most scenic route would be to cross the Forth bridge and go through Culross and Clackmannan, if you want to stay on the south side of the river then through Linlithgow and Falkirk is more pleasant.

The West Highland 1000 has a good route into/out of Edinburgh from Haymarket: I'm sure Graham would let you have a routesheet/GPS.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #3 on: 10 November, 2018, 11:53:30 am »
I'm planning to ride from Waverley station to Stirling (assuming reasonable weather) but a day earlier than everyone else ie Thursday. I have ridden before across the Forth Bridge and along to Stirling via Alloa (and will also be heading to Fife on Sunday) so I quite fancy a south of the river route on the way there. I have also ridden Grangemouth to South Queensferry along the NCN route, which was OK, but not sure I really fancy the off road bit around Blackness. I see possible options as part of the Union canal and/or minor road routes via Kirliston, Torpichen and on to Falkirk, any advice on that option?Are the B roads reasonably quiet mid week?
I will be on my touring bike with panniers - not looking for anything fast, don't mind mildly off road but no mud fests, and happy to stop to navigate from a map.

« Reply #4 on: 10 November, 2018, 12:45:26 pm »
You should ask this on the Audax Ecosse facebook group, there's a few Edinburgh natives on there who don't post on here.

« Reply #5 on: 12 November, 2018, 08:56:16 am »
I moved away from Falkirk some years ago, so it may have changed, but...

Most of the main roads around Linlithgow and Falkirk are quite quiet, as the motorways take all the through traffic. So don't be afraid of using A and B roads around here. Going to the south of these towns is possible, however with the exception of Beecraigs it isn't a particularly pleasant area - mostly ex-mining villages - I wouldn't say it was worth the detour. The Union canal towpath is rideable but quite rough in places, should be all right on a touring bike but be aware that there are some cobbled patches. You will have to walk across the Avon viaduct. If you take the canal I would suggest leaving it at Polmont and rejoining it at Bantaskin to avoid the Glen tunnel. I went through it once and did not wish to repeat the experience.

Hope this helps, but I must warn you that the info may be out of date.

« Reply #6 on: 12 November, 2018, 01:10:20 pm »
bhoot:
https://www.strava.com/activities/1689367572
That's Round The Forth on a road bike. We returned along the southern side of the Forth and you will see where I turned inland at Blackness having discovered that the continuation of the cycle route was across a field. The A904 (parallel to the M9) is busier but the other roads are fine and roads I had ridden before.

(The funny loop at the end was to get over 100km. Obviously.)

bairn again

« Reply #7 on: 12 November, 2018, 03:02:57 pm »
The West Highland 1000 has a good route into/out of Edinburgh from Haymarket: I'm sure Graham Graeme would let you have a routesheet/GPS.

The Auld Alliance next year goes out on the south of the Forth and back on the North both on which I'd say were the optimum routes for that side (but I'm biased). 

If i were riding from Edinburgh to Stirling on a Friday leaving anytime pre 1900 I'd go via the north of the Forth, as the route south of the Forth is busier on work days in my experience and the A905 is aold style a road that isnt properly wide enough for two cars aand a bike.   The bit on the A985 on the north side isn't brilliant but most of the rest is on quiet roads or dedicated tarmac.

South of the River : https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28630702 (similar to WH1000 but avoids the nasty A803 Motorway sprint west of Linlithgow)

North of the River :  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28630773 (the bit through the Alloa housing scheme is a "must see") 

Graeme

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #8 on: 12 November, 2018, 04:08:41 pm »
I moved away from Falkirk some years ago, so it may have changed, but...

Most of the main roads around Linlithgow and Falkirk are quite quiet, as the motorways take all the through traffic. So don't be afraid of using A and B roads around here. Going to the south of these towns is possible, however with the exception of Beecraigs it isn't a particularly pleasant area - mostly ex-mining villages - I wouldn't say it was worth the detour. The Union canal towpath is rideable but quite rough in places, should be all right on a touring bike but be aware that there are some cobbled patches. You will have to walk across the Avon viaduct. If you take the canal I would suggest leaving it at Polmont and rejoining it at Bantaskin to avoid the Glen tunnel. I went through it once and did not wish to repeat the experience.

Hope this helps, but I must warn you that the info may be out of date.

The Avon aquaduct might be a bit tight to push the trike over as I remember it being just wide enough to push a standard bike over.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #9 on: 12 November, 2018, 09:19:07 pm »
Thanks all, will take a look at the advice and suggestions and no doubt find a decent way of getting there, although the way work is going this week I will be making the journey on the train to facilitate additional PC time (which would be a shame really)

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #10 on: 15 November, 2018, 05:03:42 pm »
I have arrived and what a fabulous day's riding. In the end I changed my mind and went over the Forth Bridge and along the the northern shore. This change of heart came about because on how many days in November in Scotland do you get to ride over the Forth Bridge in glorious sunshine in weather warm enough for shorts and T shirt (*) and no outer layers (and how many summer days for that matter)

* needless to say I didn't have a T shirt or anything with short sleeves, it's November and I've come to Scotland, why would I.

For anyone still considering routes to Stirling and who is not in Audax mode, route 76 north has a lot to recommend it. Quite a lot of traffic free paths, not really anything approaching COR as most were tarmac (give or take a few tree roots) with some surprisingly wide and smooth shared use pavement with very few to share with. Some wonderful little places down by the water - Limekilns (with a cafe which I bypassed), Torryburn and the Culross where I did stop at the Biscuit cafe. I had the best cheese scone I've had for a while (and as I am partial to them I sample quite a few), the fruit ones looked equally scrummy, and proper cyclist size too. (Have made mental note to go back there on Sunday).

Doing this part of the  route again I would use the road on the western side of Charlestown not the silly bumpy cycle route track with gratuitous climbing, and I probably wouldn't bother to deviate off the main road at Crombie, but I would go down the lane to Crombie point as the ride along from there was great.
At Alloa I did get lost as I must have missed a turn on the cycle paths, but it was easily recovered. For some bonus miles at the end (and it looked as if I could still outrun the rain) I deviated into Stirling over the pedestrian bridge at Cambuskenneth, cycled round to Stirling old Bridge and then out to Bridge of Allan (and it's still not raining!)