Author Topic: Hase Pino transport by car  (Read 6669 times)

Hase Pino transport by car
« on: 22 June, 2015, 12:45:37 pm »
Does anyone have any experience of putting a Pino on a rack on the car?

I've spent quite a long time looking at various different sorts of rack and they all look like they'll fail to fit it in some way or other...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Hase Pino transport by car
« Reply #1 on: 22 June, 2015, 12:52:20 pm »
Yes.

When I drove a Peugeot 309, I mounted it crossways on a towbar mounted rack. The kind that has two prongs sticking out to hang a bike from its top tube. Bungy to secure the front pedals at 12 and 6 o'clock, to minimise the length/width.  Beware lamp posts when reversing out of your friends' driveway.

I then graduated to a roof mounted rack. The one from, umm, Pendle, which has been fixed to a succession of roofbars as I've changed cars over the years. Drilled some extra holes in the rack so I could move the front wheel channel to accommodate the shorter wheel base and moved one of the uprights for the same reason. Wobbles in what looks like an alarming manner, but nothing ever fell off.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #2 on: 22 June, 2015, 03:15:30 pm »
Thanks Tim!

I was thinking roof mounted, but then it's quite high up there on the top of my Renault Grand Scenic, and I wonder if lifting the thing up and down without dropping it on the glass roof might be problematic.

I might try the crosswise towbar mounted thing, though that will involve getting a towbar. Taking the front boom off is spectacularly easy, so that helps with the width I guess.

It looks like it's not possible to split my Pino into two pieces, or at least the place where there should be screws to dismantle it has tamper proof things.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3 on: 22 June, 2015, 03:18:36 pm »
Do you need to use all three rear seats whilst carrying the Pino? If not then get one of the Thule bars that goes inside the car (other makes are available).  Take off front wheel, wheel bike into car, backwards and attach forks to mount supplied.  Job done.  Worked for me, for a long while, with several different bikes and a Grand Scenic.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4 on: 22 June, 2015, 03:46:59 pm »
Do you need to use all three rear seats whilst carrying the Pino? If not then get one of the Thule bars that goes inside the car (other makes are available).  Take off front wheel, wheel bike into car, backwards and attach forks to mount supplied.  Job done.  Worked for me, for a long while, with several different bikes and a Grand Scenic.

I think the Pino is too long for this, sadly. I have carried it in the back with the rear seats removed and the front passenger seat folder down, but it does need that much room.

« Reply #5 on: 22 June, 2015, 06:13:36 pm »
It looks like it's not possible to split my Pino into two pieces, or at least the place where there should be screws to dismantle it has tamper proof things.

No personnal experience with a Pino Hase, but the last time we saw a tandem couple riding one, they split the frame in two parts (after the ride!) and managed to fit everything into a smallish car. My guess is that with a little bit of elbow grease, you should be able to get rid of the tamper proof things.

« Reply #6 on: 22 June, 2015, 08:45:23 pm »

No personnal experience with a Pino Hase, but the last time we saw a tandem couple riding one, they split the frame in two parts (after the ride!) and managed to fit everything into a smallish car. My guess is that with a little bit of elbow grease, you should be able to get rid of the tamper proof things.

Oh I'm sure I could get them off - the question is, given that they normally aren't tamper proof on a Pino, why are these? I'd need to convince myself there wasn't a good reason before taking them apart...

« Reply #7 on: 22 June, 2015, 09:30:27 pm »
Can you post a picture of that part of your frame?

« Reply #8 on: 12 August, 2015, 09:02:36 pm »
Can you post a picture of that part of your frame?

Sorry, I completely forgot about this - I'll see if I can get a photo tomorrow.

I had a towbar fitted to the car and put the Pino on a MaxxRaxx four bike carrier, which seems pretty secure even with the weight of the Pino on it. It sticks out a bit at the sides, but works.

Cheers,

Duncan

« Reply #9 on: 09 March, 2018, 05:26:04 pm »
Just found this.  Only applies to alloy frame variants I believe.

« Reply #10 on: 09 March, 2018, 09:23:19 pm »
With the Circe I took the pedals off one side then cable tied the bike, like a ladder, to the roof rack. I finished the whole thing with a bungie to stop the front wheel from flapping about and a D lock for piece of mind. It didn't move an inch.