Author Topic: Willy Warmer, Chalfont St. Peter (London area), 18 Jan 2013  (Read 36220 times)

Re: Willy Warmer, Chalfont St. Peter (London area), 18 Jan 2013
« Reply #275 on: 17 January, 2016, 10:15:57 am »
Santa bring you a new phone Mike ?  :P :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #276 on: 17 January, 2016, 10:32:11 am »
Top day out if a little cold  :thumbsup: Thanks Paul.

[/url]ww-1

ww-2

Great photos!

« Reply #277 on: 17 January, 2016, 11:55:13 am »
The weather turned out well, and it was great to see a good attendance. A near perfect route for such an early season ride.

I've checked back on my stats, this being the third sequential time I have ridden the event. I think I need to go back to my setup from the first ride:

Jan 2014 - Gary Fisher Triton - 48x20 - 23" tyres - gear ratio: 5.0m or 63.1" - 25.0 km/h average (single speed)
Jan 2015 - Gary Fisher Triton - 48x18 - 23" tyres - gear ratio: 5.6m or 70.2" - 23.4 km/h average (fixed gear)
Jan 2016 - Genesis Day One - 46x18 - 35" tyres - gear ratio: 5.6m or 69.7" - 23.4 km/h average (single speed)

The Genesis is a bit heavier, but more bullet proof. In the last 2 years I've had to walk up a couple of hills near the end of the ride, as the gearing is a little too high.

Be interested to know what ratios other fixed/single speed riders were using.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #278 on: 17 January, 2016, 12:50:27 pm »
Once again my audax appetite is not matched by my ability.  I packed at Hungerford. 
May I express my thanks to Paul and all the helpers for putting on such a great event.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #279 on: 17 January, 2016, 01:30:16 pm »

Nah, I always type that badly, but usually spend ages editing, often after its already posted.

This particular 'masterpiece' was at 1 am and I was knacked, so I posted it 'warts and all'  ;D
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #280 on: 17 January, 2016, 02:08:34 pm »

Nah, I always type that badly, but usually spend ages editing, often after its already posted.

This particular 'masterpiece' was at 1 am and I was knacked, so I posted it 'warts and all'  ;D
You were not the only one to worry about those folk shooting pheasant in our direction, i thought at the time what a daft thing to do over the public highway.
Eddington Number 75

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #281 on: 17 January, 2016, 02:13:51 pm »

It was a lovely report, enhanced by the autocomplete 'features'.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #282 on: 17 January, 2016, 05:31:09 pm »
Well, it looks like we missed the snow and ice bullet however it was more of a Chilly Willy than a Willy Warmer this year, with many riders reporting that after a fine morning the temperature plummeted down to -4C at times through the afternoon. whilst in Chalfont we continued to bask in a balmy 3-4C most of the day and into the  evening. That's the trouble with these moder Garmins; sometimes it is better not to know these things! Some old hands thought last year was tougher when we had some rain but most riders looked as though they had been in a fight by the time they rolled up to the Arrivee, and Caroline was kept busy in the kitchen preparing hot snacks.

The dust is yet to settle but overall we had about 150 entries with 115 on the road and 100 finishers. This is up from 105 entries and ~80 riders for a typical year pre-PBP, and it seems safe to say numbers would have been higher were it not for the threatened Icegeddon.

About half of the DNFs pleaded fitness to retire en-route and the remainder soldiered on to finish 'Out Of Time'. Chapeau to them for persevering, especially the later finishers who encountered sleet along the way. Not nice. In fact two intrepid souls were on the road after midnight - I suspect they learned the lesson that unless you're a fast type, when it comes to winter events every minute spent in a control is a minute spent riding in the cold dark night... Still, everybody who made it back to Chalfont looked very happy, if only because 'it was over' and they could relax in the warm.

A big well done and thanks to all those tho took part, and special thanks to Gary and Pat, controllers at Pangbourne and Hungerford (first time out for Gary!), and Liam, Ian & Caroline at Chalfont. Excellent!

« Reply #283 on: 17 January, 2016, 07:01:07 pm »
It was a cracking ride. Unfortunately in more ways than one. I had an off just before Riseley due 'tramlining' the edge of the road. A HUGE THANKS TO David who found me looking for bits and provided lights and support while I got myself going again. Went to A&E this morning where it was confirmed I'd broken my right collar bone. Despite that it was a day I thoroughly enjoyed.

Now to follow in the footsteps of Mr Abrahams and see if I can loan a Recumbent trike for a day to complete my second Rtty in February. 

Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

Martin

« Reply #284 on: 17 January, 2016, 07:07:57 pm »
GWS freeflow and chapeau in finishing (thumbs up)

« Reply #285 on: 17 January, 2016, 08:59:44 pm »
After the exciting Tour de France style ride to Pangbourne, I found myself in a smaller and smaller group till I was on my own but this amazing cyclist caught up with me at the identify the corner shop control and from there, we flew back to the start with absolute minimal stops at controls. This meant we only had an hour and half of darkness to cycle in till 17.45. Great day out!

« Reply #286 on: 17 January, 2016, 10:53:50 pm »
Left Chalfont a little late at 8:45 in the hope of slightly warmer temperatures although I don't think that really worked out for me as it was just as cold and the larger groups were long gone. Meant I got an extra coffee though so not without benefit  :)

Got to Pangbourne with no issues and then on to Hungerford. The further west I went, the colder it got and I started to see patches of loose ice on the road on the way to Lambourn. Most of my clothing was working well but had to run into the co-op in Hungerford where I bought some tin foil to wrap between my shoes and overshoes for a bit of extra heat.

Spent quite a while at the controls to thaw out which slowed me down but meant I finally got to eat at the tutti pole. I've been there many times but it's always been very busy, but made time today for a cheese and ham toastie  :thumbsup:

Made some steady progress on leaving Hungerford - moving past some small groups making their way back. Was dark at this point but it did feel warmer as I went east. Didn't hang about much at Winnersh, although the Winnersh kebab van got a lingering look.

Started to sleet at Beaconsfield but was almost back by that point, finally getting to Chalfont about 9:20

Great route for the time of year with some lovely countryside and winter sunshine, well done to anyone who rode as it was a tough day out.

Many thanks to Paul and all of those who helped in any way. A great event!

« Reply #287 on: 18 January, 2016, 10:20:43 am »
Great ride on Saturday. One of those stunning winter days rewarding all who like me struggle to get out of bed in the dark and cold. A number of wonderful views but too cold for me to take any photos -but Liam's caught the crossing on the bridge perfectly -other than the woodsmoke which was drifting across the bridge when I went over it.
As Parky kept telling me in the car as we drove over -it is January and everyone is KEEN. The numbers seemed to bear that out.
Thanks from me to Paul and all the helpers -they did a wonderful job. And the rice pudding and then cheese toasty at the end were perfect. Hot food at the end is really appreciated by all of us on the winter rides.
Willy Warmed.

« Reply #288 on: 18 January, 2016, 11:25:33 am »
Just put some video footage on youtube of the final couple of miles into Pangbourne

https://youtu.be/iKQEvJbbpiI. nothing exciting but its nice to look at that sunshine again
Eddington Number 75

Brakeless

• Brakeless
« Reply #289 on: 18 January, 2016, 11:39:39 am »
Just put some video footage on youtube of the final couple of miles into Pangbourne

https://youtu.be/iKQEvJbbpiI. nothing exciting but its nice to look at that sunshine again

What were you filming with that puts your stats on screen?

« Reply #290 on: 18 January, 2016, 11:41:39 am »

A Garmin Virb, there is a free download called Virbedit and this takes the info from the sat nav (Fit file). The top model does this itself.
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #291 on: 18 January, 2016, 11:43:36 am »
-but Liam's caught the crossing on the bridge perfectly -other than the woodsmoke which was drifting across the bridge when I went over it.

I wish I could claim credits for Clemo's snaps!

« Reply #292 on: 18 January, 2016, 12:25:23 pm »

A Garmin Virb, there is a free download called Virbedit and this takes the info from the sat nav (Fit file). The top model does this itself.

Brilliant. A Garmin Virb can be had for £75 via sportpursuit. http://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/604759

« Reply #293 on: 18 January, 2016, 01:08:04 pm »
I have that exact model Tiga, these have now been superseded which is why they are cheaper now, the newer models are very gopro looking
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #294 on: 18 January, 2016, 06:52:05 pm »
The weather turned out well, and it was great to see a good attendance. A near perfect route for such an early season ride.

I've checked back on my stats, this being the third sequential time I have ridden the event. I think I need to go back to my setup from the first ride:

Jan 2014 - Gary Fisher Triton - 48x20 - 23" tyres - gear ratio: 5.0m or 63.1" - 25.0 km/h average (single speed)
Jan 2015 - Gary Fisher Triton - 48x18 - 23" tyres - gear ratio: 5.6m or 70.2" - 23.4 km/h average (fixed gear)
Jan 2016 - Genesis Day One - 46x18 - 35" tyres - gear ratio: 5.6m or 69.7" - 23.4 km/h average (single speed)

The Genesis is a bit heavier, but more bullet proof. In the last 2 years I've had to walk up a couple of hills near the end of the ride, as the gearing is a little too high.

Be interested to know what ratios other fixed/single speed riders were using.

44x17 and rolling 28s...so: 69 inches.  25km/h for me. 
A lower gear than I would have liked....and a higher speed than I was planning.

Not sure what conclusions can be drawn from that.

« Reply #295 on: 27 January, 2016, 10:49:41 pm »
Went for a follow up x-ray today and all is healing very nicely. Registrar was very complimentary about me not needing to use the sling.  He also agreed with me that I'd probably also badly strained my shoulder which is the main cause of discomfort. Just asked me to take it steady when I enquired about when I could ride again. So it looks like first test ride will be a quick cafe run on Saturday weather permitting. Working up to anceasy 200 late February to complete my second Rtty of the year. :)

« Reply #296 on: 28 January, 2016, 04:10:17 pm »
Went for a follow up x-ray today and all is healing very nicely.

Get well soon  :thumbsup:

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #297 on: 29 January, 2016, 08:49:22 am »
Glad to hear you are on the mend freeflow.  Hope you are back on two wheels soon (but not before you are ready)!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #298 on: 31 January, 2016, 05:00:28 pm »
Went for a tentative trial ride with a couple of mates yesterday with Mrs F on standby with the car.  50 km to cafe and back without any issues.  Shoulder was a little achey in the evening but today I haven't needed any pain relief at all.  I'm amazed that I can do this two weeks after coming off the bike.

« Reply #299 on: 01 February, 2016, 06:34:58 am »
 :)  well done!