Author Topic: Worms in the heap  (Read 6265 times)

Lizzie

• Quite harmless
Worms in the heap
« on: 22 May, 2008, 09:12:41 am »
Hi Everyone,

Do you know if I can I put worms straight into my compost heap (a static black plastic jobbie), or do they need special treatment?

Thanks.  :)
Hill Slug

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Worms in the heap
« Reply #1 on: 22 May, 2008, 09:15:37 am »
What sort of worms? Are they brandlings? I have found that when my compost heap is working properly, they just turn up and multiply. Unfortunately that has not been the case recently as I have had rats in the heap and lots of the veg. matter I want to rot down has been eaten by those buggers.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Lizzie

• Quite harmless
« Reply #2 on: 22 May, 2008, 09:23:55 am »
I have no idea what sort of worms I'd need (so far as I know, there's none there at the moment)- that would be the next question  :D

I am, officially, clueless on this matter, but the matter in my compost heap is not doing too well and I thought a few nice worms might help.

Hill Slug

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3 on: 22 May, 2008, 11:26:08 am »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandling .

Have you read any books about compost making?

You can buy ordinary earthworms (fishing bait suppliers) but I don't think they would stay in a compost heap. You may be able to buy brandlings, but a quick google didn't find a supplier.

By the sound of it you haven't got the mix right yet and introducing worms which will turn up anyway when it's right would be a waste of time and money. They won't survive without a load of rotting stuff to eat. All vegetable garden waste apart from stuff that's too woody ought to go in, as should all vegetable kitchen waste (don't put meat in) and lawn mowings and bog roll tubes if you want, tissues and old newspaper even (I don't think glossy paper would rot down well though). The bigger the bulk the better. Don't forget to give it a pint or so of urine every fortnight. There's no harm in putting a bit of herbivore's manure in (not dog, cat or human). Horse, cow & pig is ideal, chicken a bit on the strong side so use sparingly. If there's any stable manure to be had, with wood shavings or preferably straw in it, that should be very good.

This seems to be a good website.

« Reply #4 on: 22 May, 2008, 11:42:27 am »
Also give it a good stir with a garden fork regularly to allow air in.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #5 on: 22 May, 2008, 11:46:07 am »
you can buy composting worms on ebay, i got mine for my worm factory from Wiggle Wigglers.

I can't see the worms for sale but i know they do them

http://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk/shop/foundproduct.lasso?product_id=100&-session=shopper:CC4A1C0B0cbf01BEFAkWM154A327
A shitter and a giggler.

Lizzie

• Quite harmless
« Reply #6 on: 22 May, 2008, 01:00:50 pm »

Don't forget to give it a pint or so of urine every fortnight.

:sick: What will the neighbours say...and what happens if I inadvertantly fall in!

Thanks everone.  My mix is more or less what you suggest, wowbagger, I wonder if I should be stirring it more, as Nutty says.

At the moment, I don't think any worms could get in if they wanted to, not unless they had a sharp pair of scissors to cut through the webbing mat underneath  :-[

I will have a look at the websites suggested and maybe get some brandlings from the wiggly site - I just don't want to harm them.

Hill Slug

« Reply #7 on: 22 May, 2008, 01:46:09 pm »

At the moment, I don't think any worms could get in if they wanted to, not unless they had a sharp pair of scissors to cut through the webbing mat underneath  :-[

There's your first task then!   Stick the fork through the webbing a few times to give access holes.

Fi

« Reply #8 on: 22 May, 2008, 02:05:35 pm »

Lizzie

• Quite harmless
« Reply #9 on: 22 May, 2008, 02:14:17 pm »
Brilliant  :D

Thanks everyone  :thumbsup:
Hill Slug

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #10 on: 22 May, 2008, 03:54:13 pm »
You don't actually have to piss directly into the compost heap. You can always reserve a receptacle, go in the normal place, and transport it to the heap later.

Your heap needs access to the soil.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 22 May, 2008, 04:51:41 pm »
Nonono!  Needs to be genuine man-wee!
Getting there...

Lizzie

• Quite harmless
« Reply #12 on: 22 May, 2008, 05:09:56 pm »

But I'm a gurl  :-\ I can't do man-wee
Hill Slug

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #13 on: 22 May, 2008, 05:12:03 pm »
I think gurl-wee will work just as well.

It's just that Clarion has been making money from any source possible. He's got a job now so he doesn't need to sell his bodily fluids any more.

Lizzie

• Quite harmless
« Reply #14 on: 22 May, 2008, 05:12:38 pm »
Stop Press:

I have moved the 'heap', given it access to the soil and taken out all the grass goo...I now have great hope for my heap (and a set of filthy clothes)

Thanks to all (apart from Clarion and his wee, of course  ;))
Hill Slug

Lizzie

• Quite harmless
« Reply #15 on: 22 May, 2008, 05:13:19 pm »
I think gurl-wee will work just as well.

;D
Hill Slug

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #16 on: 22 May, 2008, 05:27:54 pm »
I'm not kidding!

I'm pretty certain Geoff Hamilton was particular about this point, too, although, tbh, it seems that the consensus is now with Wowbagger.
Getting there...

Lizzie

• Quite harmless
« Reply #17 on: 22 May, 2008, 05:42:38 pm »
I always thought Geoff Hamilton would be a really nice dad. (slightly off-topic  :))

I miss him  :(
Hill Slug

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #18 on: 22 May, 2008, 06:06:39 pm »
Getting there...

Fi

« Reply #19 on: 22 May, 2008, 09:30:29 pm »
Due to a minor cock up, our compost bins are on paving.  We still get wormies in them and they rot down fine.  Grass goo needs to be mixed with something carbony. Old newspapers will do (nothing with glossy paper tho'), or cardboard, or shreddings from hedge cutting and the like or leaves.

Ladies' wee is fine on the heap, but ladies lack the directional equipment so it becomes a palava with buckets to water the heap properly.  I'd have thought if you have too much grass, you wouldn't need wee an accelorater

Geoff Hamilton was the best tv gardener ever, much better than the crew that came after, although Monty's a bit of a hunk.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #20 on: 22 May, 2008, 10:33:35 pm »

But I'm a gurl  :-\ I can't do man-wee

There is no significant difference between gurl-wee and man-wee.

« Reply #21 on: 22 May, 2008, 11:24:39 pm »
Keep it well aerated and not over moist.  For the last few years mine has been worm-tastic, but it all went a bit anaerobic and the worms all rose to the top and tried to esacepe death..., they failed... and they stank.
Now I miss my wormy mates.

A cautionary tale with acknowledgement to Wowbagger of this parish.

Lizzie

• Quite harmless
« Reply #22 on: 23 May, 2008, 07:44:43 am »
I've clearly been adding too much grass, so I took most of the clumps of evil smelling primoridal goo out when I moved it and turned it all yesterday.

How do I keep it aerated, though, as it's in a big black plastic container - do I need to get a nice long spike thingy to stir it?

Hill Slug

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #23 on: 23 May, 2008, 07:47:29 am »
Too much grass with nothing else does tend to make things sour.

If you mix the grass with old tissues / kitchen towel / loo roll tubes / other vegetation, it should not present too much of a problem. If you have lots of lawn mower clippings, you might like to leave them in a pile near the compost bin and add them little and often.

Lizzie

• Quite harmless
« Reply #24 on: 23 May, 2008, 07:50:23 am »
Too much grass with nothing else does tend to make things sour.

Yes, it was horrid.   :sick:

I clearly need to give my heap much more loving attention - I'm shredding Wednesday's Guardian as we speak  :D
Hill Slug