Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Pub / Re: BONG ..And Here is the Not News..BONG
« Last post by Regulator on Today at 03:37:43 pm »
I had to give my passport details to the Vatican Corpo della Gendarmeria earlier today.  I'll be travelling on my Irish passport rather than my British one.

Have you tried being polite?

I've never had a rider refuse to change a light from flashing to static.
My cycling club pushed back against my suggestion that solid lights were sufficient on group rides, club guidance is actually to use flashing lights :facepalm: FFS riding in the daytime in red jerseys is more than sufficient to be seen. But no, now we have blinking lights.
Ctrl-Alt-Del / Edge stopped since yesterday
« Last post by GdS on Today at 03:03:12 pm »
Edge applied an update yesterday am according to the folders on the C drive. It worked OK until this morning when the PC suddenly restarted. I now can't open it, it was monetarily flashing up a screen with the "Restore" to open all the tabs which it normally does if it's switched off unexpectedly but now nothing not even a Window. In Task Manager it flashes up momentarily with Suspended in the Status column when I click the Edge icon then disappears. I've tried closing all the other programs I can (best I can get is 3% CPU / 58% memory) and repairing using Windows I also opening as Administrator. My understanding is that Edge is part of the OS so cannot just be deleted and reinstalled.

I'm running the latest version of W10 and have 118GB free disk space.

Any else noticed this? and "use Chrome" is not an option as I have no browser! the PC shows the weather and news headlines plus receives email (Windows Live Mail) so it's definitely online

(I'm posting remotely via my work PC the only way I can get in)

That was the point of the resolution - ECE and DIY were excluded.  Group == calendar event.  Admittedly well strung out in some cases but also yo-yoing.

depends on the size of the field, I have ridden more than a few calendar events where I haven't seen another rider for several hours. When riding in a group I would always set to steady, but flash mode doubles the burn time of the light meaning it's much less likely to run out on me during the event. It's also more obvious to drivers who will be approaching at speed and not expecting to see a cyclist on the road at 1am.

(riding all night is mainly a problem for 400s, on 200s, 300s I would expect not much night time riding, and on 600s I would normally stop 2-3 hours after sunset and typically start again at dawn.)

If the event starts in the dark I would go with steady light, but after 250km the field is likely so strung out I would only expect to see other riders at controls, in which case maximum visibility trumps extremely unlikely discomfort to someone who probably won't be approaching from behind on another bike.
The Sporting Life / Re: County Cricket 2024
« Last post by Wowbagger on Today at 02:55:02 pm »
I’ve not followed the shenanigans closely but I think Dan Lawrence, Essex’s rising star batsman, has gone to Surrey. I gain the impression from the Simon Harmer quote in that piece that Essex is one of the richest counties, which is a very far cry from how it was when I first started attending matches. Their first ever trophy was in 1979 after 103 years in existence, but since then they have regularly been one of the strongest sides.

The only format that interests me is the multi-day game. One-day stuff is ok for a change, but has no lasting interest for me.
The Pub / Re: Super-Twat
« Last post by chrisbainbridge on Today at 02:53:50 pm »
Kit-kat are really good at doing specials.  We get them from Brazil where there are at least 2 different "brazilian" collections and a specific collection of flavours for Sao paulo.  The acai one is very purple and much nicer than the real fruit which is disgusting!
The Sporting Life / Re: County Cricket 2024
« Last post by CrazyEnglishTriathlete on Today at 02:49:34 pm »
Mrs CET and I were discussing this topic at lunch, having discovered that Jordan Cox, one of Kent's finest young cricketers is moving across the river to Essex.  It makes entire sense for an aspiring-to-be test cricketer.  At Kent, he is likely to deployed in a series of rearguard actions, which probably won't help get the attention of the England set-up.  Kent can't afford to be competitive across all formats, so for them it makes sense to place a bet on T20 - large home crowds and the possibility of a lucrative finals day.    And so if they have future test-cricketers they will probably thing the same, but if you lose your brightest and best, then you slide further down the pecking order.

I think, however, the possibility of a team gelling and doing a Leicester City is much higher in cricket than it is in football, and so I will entertain that faint possibility as we enter a new season.  At least they won't have to play a second XI when test cricket or the Hundred are on.
Online quizzes / Re: Squaredle
« Last post by Hot Flatus on Today at 02:32:07 pm »
I played https://squaredle.com 03/28:
53/53 words (+14 bonus words)
📖 In the top 9% by bonus words
🔥 Solve streak: 18
Rain, which became hail, which became heavy hail. I was glad I had taken my hat!
Same again, but I'm at home this time.
The Pub / Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Last post by T42 on Today at 02:21:01 pm »
I wrote a few matrix-based games back in pre-PC days, mostly based on the original Orb of Zot/Leather Goddesses of Phobos model.  I was trying to work out a combo of Cabell's Figures of Earth and HHGTTG but I dropped it when the first Sierra games came out and I realized the enormous amount of work, graphic in particular, that went into them. I played a few after that - Space Quest, Phantasmagoria & so forth - but lost interest after a while.  I'm too wary of worms, Trojans, etc. to get involved nowadays.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10