Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1252205 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #6800 on: 10 September, 2018, 09:27:35 pm »
More muscle, less visceral fat.

All good.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #6801 on: 12 September, 2018, 10:14:30 am »
Still plodding away on the 5:2. No repeat of the water fasting as yet, can't quite face it...

Weight is going in the right direction, but slower than I'd like. However if it keeps up this progress I could be back where I was in late May/early June within a short space of time. Getting below 78kg is the barrier at the moment: haven't managed that all year. If I can achieve that then there's a chance I might make my target weight by the year end. We shall see.

I have a daily exercise regime so I'm definitely feeling fitter than I was a. month ago. Will keep that up too.
Embrace your inner Fred.

py

« Reply #6802 on: 12 September, 2018, 10:27:00 am »
Back off holidays with ~2Kg extra in weight. Back on the bike commuting in addition to trying to finish out the Zwift academy before the 30th September deadline. Diet has cleaned back up after a bit of indulgence away.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6803 on: 12 September, 2018, 03:10:13 pm »
I have little idea what my weight is.

I am still wearing my Size 12 trousers, which are snug on the bum and very roomy on the tum.

My belly is well below my hip bones when I lie flat.

I think that's OK.

« Reply #6804 on: 13 September, 2018, 06:51:58 pm »
I thought I'd look at the beginning of this thread to see what I was saying back then.
Oo look, there are links to all the tracker threads. I wonder what I was like on the first one, 2008?

:-[ trying to lose weight and lighter than I am now. Oh well.
And I've been doing so well this year.

So I have reduced my target to the weight I was back then (and don't have any real expectation of getting down to my then target).
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6805 on: 13 September, 2018, 07:12:58 pm »
In 2008, I was around 70kg and didn't bother weighing myself. My weight and size were pretty steady.
In 2009, I went to France and picked up a croissant habit.
At the end of 2011, I had a fall and my partner complained about my weight.
I started 2012 at 74kg and finished it much lighter losing a bit more weight over the next couple of years.

I've stopped bothering now. I'd guess my weight is around 65kg, which is still significantly less than 2008.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6806 on: 24 September, 2018, 06:51:01 pm »
When I was in the doctor's surgery a week or two ago I noticed a notice (!) about a weight loss clinic. I made an appointment with a nurse last week and I have been put in touch with an organisation called "ACE Lifestyle", who run the weight management programme. The council are paying for me to see a personal health trainer and also for 12 weeks' membership of "Slimming World". I have booked an appointment to see the trainer on Wednesday next week for an hour, and he will give me a voucher to spend on 12 weeks' membership of SW. I have discovered that there is a group that meets each Thursday evening at the school I taught at between 1981 and 1986, so I can indulge in a little nostalgia as well.

I have no idea where councils get the budgets to finance this sort of stuff. It can't be cheap. SW is a little over £4 a week for old buggers, so that is £50 straight away, and the 1:1 sessions must be very much more expensive. I don't know how many of them I will be entitled to but the woman I spoke to today said that people very often do both for quite some time. The trainer sessions will be approximately monthly.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #6807 on: 24 September, 2018, 06:58:45 pm »
I have no idea where councils get the budgets to finance this sort of stuff. It can't be cheap. SW is a little over £4 a week for old buggers, so that is £50 straight away, and the 1:1 sessions must be very much more expensive. I don't know how many of them I will be entitled to but the woman I spoke to today said that people very often do both for quite some time. The trainer sessions will be approximately monthly.

The idea is that £x00 spent now could save the NHS £x000+ in the future.

Plus they wouldn't be paying list price for everything as a reduced bulk contract would have been negotiated.

Actual funding for it just means the Government accruing a bit more debt, and then not accruing as much debt n+ years in the future.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #6808 on: 24 September, 2018, 09:28:34 pm »

The idea is that £x00 spent now could save the NHS £x000+ in the future.

Plus they wouldn't be paying list price for everything as a reduced bulk contract would have been negotiated.

Actual funding for it just means the Government accruing a bit more debt, and then not accruing as much debt n+ years in the future.

Well, yes, that makes sense in normal circumstances, but we know this government doesn't think like that - see education cuts passim. In these times of austerity, everything that can't be nailed down is cut to the bone. I have a suspicion that it's money for tory councils and the rest can bugger off. However, we are straying dangerously close to POBI here so I'll stop at this point.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6809 on: 25 September, 2018, 10:17:56 am »
Really need to get started with my weight loss.

Same here. Can't carry on as I have been doing, I feel really unfit and unhealthy...

Still up at 96kg after injury setbacks and days off gone due to parenting during the summer holidays. I'll be back on the bike from September and running again late September.

Still aiming for under 80kg by April 2019.

253 days until London Marathon which is 36 weeks, so 18kg at 0.5kg/week but hoping to push that to 0.6kg/week if I can to get down to under 75kg.

I weighed myself this morning at 81kg, which isn't as bad as I thought - was expecting it to be >85kg. However, biggest problem is not my weight but my waistline - having been down to 75cm a few years ago, it's now heading towards three figures. This is not good. Mostly booze-related, I expect.

It's good to have a fixed target. Mine is PBP. Target is to get to "race weight" (~70kg) by the end of August - ie lose 11kg over the next 11 months. Should be achievable but will take a lot more self-discipline than I have been capable of over the last couple of years.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #6810 on: 05 October, 2018, 08:34:27 am »
A year of doing hardly anything, not monitoring anything, drinking a little bit, working too hard. Gained 7kg. Jeans still say 30", but proper trousers say 32". Need to sort it out.

simonp

« Reply #6811 on: 05 October, 2018, 11:26:37 am »
A year of doing hardly anything, not monitoring anything, drinking a little bit, working too hard. Gained 7kg. Jeans still say 30", but proper trousers say 32". Need to sort it out.

You've done it before, far more successfully than most.

On Wednesday someone asked me if I'd stopped training due to the weight gain. Bah.

I'd like to point out that we won 14 rowing races in our crew this year.  >:(

Do need to shift a bit of flab, though. I was injured for 4 months, starting about 12 months ago, and missed the whole autumn and some of the winter training season. Touch-wood, I'll be good this time, and can shift a bit of the flab.

34" jeans are very loose on me, but doubt I could do 32" now.

Real measurement is 36".  :o

Chris S

« Reply #6812 on: 05 October, 2018, 11:36:09 am »
There's a few of us with a busy winter training/fat loss schedule ahead  ::-).

I did a 2x5x30s HIIT session on the turbo this morning and was depressed to see I was doing 80W less on the efforts than I was in February. Sigh...

simonp

« Reply #6813 on: 05 October, 2018, 12:11:44 pm »
I prefer the comment I had just now "rowing has changed your body shape".

I suspect it has, but sadly there is still extra flab.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6814 on: 05 October, 2018, 12:32:34 pm »
A year of doing nothing.
Have not weighed myself for months.
Have not measured myself for months.
Still in Size 12 trousers.
Hip bones and ribs are still WAY above my tummy when I lie on a flat surface.
Posterior hips are very well-padded.

Suspect my weight is pretty steady.
Don't think I have much visceral fat, which is 'healthy'.
Allegedly.

Apathetic, of Edgware.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #6815 on: 11 October, 2018, 08:09:32 am »
A measurement at hospital recently gave me 21.5% body fat. Not as bad as I expected, even better it enables me to work out how much I need to lose to get to 10%. So here starts another diet, I have found the only diet that works for me is counting calories in and out, otherwise I snack terribly. So far 11 days in and an average 1000 kcal/day deficit has resulted in 1.5kg loss, as usual bang on target. Just need to keep this up for anothet4 months to get to racing wright...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #6816 on: 11 October, 2018, 02:17:18 pm »
Tonight will be my second weigh-in since joining Slimming World last week. I think I have been sticking to the guidelines since Monday - but I had a weekend's celebrating my brother's 50th wedding anniversary last weekend so that has probably put the kybosh on any weight loss.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #6817 on: 11 October, 2018, 10:29:56 pm »
7lb 8oz registered as my weight loss for the week.

Last week, without thinking about it, I got onto the scales in my shoes and fleece. Today, I took them off. That, I guess, accounts for about 50% of the weight I lost. Still, a good week.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6818 on: 11 October, 2018, 11:05:23 pm »
Excellent, Wowbagger!

This rate is obviously not sustainable and it's possible you might even record a gain next week.

Make friends with a tape measure or belt to sustain your morale...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #6819 on: 12 October, 2018, 12:24:39 am »
Indeed it's not, but the incredible thing about this regime is the vast range of foods of which one is permitted to consume unlimited amounts. So if I feel hungry, I just go and raid the fridge or the fruit bowl. Lean meat is allowed in unlimited quantities. I think our Waitrose ham bill is likely to be rising...

« Reply #6820 on: 12 October, 2018, 10:48:38 am »
I'm avoiding chocolate and eating carrots instead. I'm also trying to consciously avoid eating through boredom. Other than that, I've not made much of a change - I'm hoping that will be enough to allow me to drop a few kg and still build my ftp.
I've lost about a kilo in a month, but my scales are strange in that they read to the tenth of a kg, but they don't seem to actually measure that - I've never seen a move of 0.1kg. The fat and water measurements also seem to vary wildly while the weight remains the same - consecutive days can see the same weight, but 18% fat to 22.5% fat (same time of day and stuff). Both of these things are irritating me!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6821 on: 04 November, 2018, 11:49:32 am »
Wobbled onto the scales for the first time since May, last night, twice, cos I'm very wobbly.
Had the same reading both times.

I seem to be 2kg lighter, with a BMI of 22.3.

I weigh the same as I weighed for most of 2016, within experimental error.

Which I reckon is OK.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #6822 on: 05 November, 2018, 10:29:51 pm »
According to the Official Records, I have lost 15lb in 4 weeks at Slimming World. On Thursday, I was voted in as Mr. Sleek 2018. I find this very baffling.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6823 on: 05 November, 2018, 11:29:07 pm »
It's all relative, innit?

You are certainly more sleek than before but we'd all agree you still have some way to go yet.

Well done so far!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #6824 on: 07 November, 2018, 12:03:51 am »
I seem to be very fortunate that, in the first instance, my weight does seem to disappear from my belly. A couple of years ago I bought two otherwise similar shirts form Go Outdoors. One was XXXL, the other XXL (they only had one of the larger size). I have seldom worn the smaller shirt because it was too tight around my belly. Now my belly is no problem, but it is too tight around my shoulders/manly chest.