Author Topic: etrex LegendHCx v VistaHCx  (Read 4306 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
etrex LegendHCx v VistaHCx
« on: 09 August, 2008, 01:06:56 pm »
I've been using an etrex Legend and it's fine .... but I'm thinking of upgrading to a USB connected etrex as the USB/Serial is a bit flakey for transferring routes.

Looking at the etrex range it seems a choice between the 2 in the Subject line above - the only discernible differences seem to be that the Vista has a compass and barometric altimeter ..... or am I missing something.

Also - any recommendations for a supplier (I've looked at GPSonline and GPS Warehouse - anybody else ??)

Thanks

Rob

Re: etrex LegendHCx v VistaHCx
« Reply #1 on: 09 August, 2008, 01:48:03 pm »
Yes, those are the only differences:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=145&compare=compare&compareProduct=8701&compareProduct=8703

Worth a little extra to have those IMO.

I bought mine from gpsonline - very helpful and good service.

I didn't want to go for the cheapest option which is via US sellers on Ebay.

« Reply #2 on: 09 August, 2008, 02:33:13 pm »
I wouldn't totally dismiss Ebay as buying from the USA can save you a packet. I bought the Legend HCx which came with Metroguide Europe, UK Topo mapping on CDs and a 1GB microcard all for (IIRC) about £150.

eBay UK Shop - BestBuy-Electronics: Navigation GPS Units

I agonised over the perceived risks of buying abroad but finally decided that the savings made any risks acceptable. I have to say that I needn't have worried as the transaction was hassle free, the package arrived quickly and I was not hit with customs surcharges etc. It did appear that there was some kind of agreement between the supplier and Fedx who were the couriers.

My only doubts is that perhaps the mapping is not 100% kosher as it came loaded on CDs with little identifying features, having said that the mapping has been faultless, working with Garmin Mapsource with no keycode issues etc and the unit has been successfully registered with Garmin. I also upgraded  Metroguide with the excellent Metrogold so I also have the benefit of auto routing which can come in handy on occasions.

I guess it's a case of pay your money and take your chances but it's worked very well for me and I'm grateful of the savings I made. :) 

« Reply #3 on: 09 August, 2008, 03:38:32 pm »
Another satisfied US eBay customer on my 60csx - a better unit IMO - only 45gms heavier w/larger screen and no vibration shut-off problems.

robgul

« Reply #4 on: 09 August, 2008, 03:58:34 pm »
Thanks for the thoughts so far .... it's really the comparison between the 2 models that interests me before the where-to-buy decision.

As Sgt Pluck suggests - it's a few extra quid for the compass and altimeter ... seems worth it.

IIRC I bought my current Legend from GPSonline - instant delivery at good price.

Rob

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #5 on: 09 August, 2008, 04:07:05 pm »
I have 2 Etrex Vistas (Cx and HCx)
I find that I never use the compass function - even when walking, you just need to move a few meters to know your direction. I usually switch it off to conserve battery power.
The Altimeter, on the other hand is, I think, worth it especially if you do hilly rides or live amongst the hills as I do. If I calibrate the altimeter at switch on, the alitmeter functions are accurate and useful. Otherwise, it is necessary to leave the device running for a good 1/2 hour for the autocalibrate function to find the correct altitude and results are a little less predictable.

bikebagg

« Reply #6 on: 09 August, 2008, 05:33:41 pm »
Also - any recommendations for a supplier (I've looked at GPSonline and GPS Warehouse - anybody else ??)

I got mine from GlobalGizmos.  Arrived next day, good service.

Opted for the Legend HCx because the compass is only worth it if you are standing still; whilst walking they is no difference, assuming you have calibrated the Vista correctly otherwise it is worse.

From my research it was suggested that the altitude readings from both units are somewhat suspect and therefore rough guidance only.

robgul

« Reply #7 on: 09 August, 2008, 06:04:04 pm »

I got mine from GlobalGizmos.  Arrived next day, good service.

Opted for the Legend HCx because the compass is only worth it if you are standing still; whilst walking they is no difference, assuming you have calibrated the Vista correctly otherwise it is worse.

From my research it was suggested that the altitude readings from both units are somewhat suspect and therefore rough guidance only.

I used to have a Summit with compass .... not much use, a nuisance to calibrate and consumed batteries at a great rate when switched on .... not sure about usefulness of an altimeter ... on a bike you know if you've gone up or down a hill  ;D

Rob

« Reply #8 on: 09 August, 2008, 06:44:23 pm »
With the Legend you effectively haven't got a compass. "I am currently moving N" isn't really the same thing. Having said that, a compass is mainly useful for walking rather than cycling.

The altimeter is pretty good provided you give it time to auto-calibrate when you turn it on - 4 or 5 minutes, before setting off. It's just a matter of getting used to turning the GPS on first, before attaching it to the bike, checking your tyres or doing any other faffing.
You will get reasonably accurate figures for amount of climbing or gradient from the altimeter, which you frequently won't using pure GPS altitudes.

I paid the extra (for 60CSx rather than 60Cx).

« Reply #9 on: 09 August, 2008, 07:33:59 pm »
I used to have a Summit with compass .... not much use, a nuisance to calibrate and consumed batteries at a great rate when switched on .... not sure about usefulness of an altimeter ... on a bike you know if you've gone up or down a hill  ;D

You'd think so, wouldn't you? But funnily enough, particularly at night, I sometimes find it difficult. I think I'm going downhill so I change up and then wonder why I'm not getting anywhere. The altimeter confirms I'm climbing rather than suffering from binding brakes.  :-)
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #10 on: 12 August, 2008, 08:29:37 am »
I got my Vista HCx from the US as well.  I bought from these guys: http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/wackysdeals_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ

I was in the US in May and wanted to buy from a shop.  I couldn't find what I wanted so bought on eBay and had the unit delivered to my hotel.  When I got back I couldn't get hold of a copy of Mapsource City Navigator NT 2008 on CD so got Wacky deals to ship me a copy.  I great service both times and saved a packet.

I am well chuffed with my Vista HCx.  Battery life with the altimeter and compass running has been fine for our purposes.  I always have a couple of spare AA batteries handy just in case.  I find having a compass and altimeter is quite useful so wouldn't want to switch them off.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 12 August, 2008, 08:48:56 am »
I got the Legend when I was in New York a few months ago.  I paid $250 and then when I got home, spent a few evenings downloading City Navigator Europe 2008 from Rapidshare.  It's fiddly to defeat the Garmin protection, but quite possible - even for a numpty like me.

My reasoning on not paying the extra $50 for the Vista was that I wear a compass on my watch when I'm riding anyway and the compass and altimeter function is known to use more battery power.  The Legend will tell you if you're climbing or descending, based on GPS signals, but it won't be as accurate as the barometric altimeter.

My Legend has been BRILLIANT.  It's maiden voyage was on the Dun Run and thanks to an expertly put together route, it performed flawlessly.  Since then, I've mainly used the postcode auto-routing and it's been really great.  I don't miss a compass, because as soon as you're rolling, if you're going the wrong way down the road, it soon becomes obvious.  Before I set off, I just check my old fashioned compass if I'm not sure.  Pay the extra for a Vista if you like, but if you buy a Legend, you won't really miss any of the fun  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

robgul

« Reply #12 on: 12 August, 2008, 09:23:01 am »
I got the Legend when I was in New York a few months ago.  I paid $250 and then when I got home, spent a few evenings downloading City Navigator Europe 2008 from Rapidshare.  It's fiddly to defeat the Garmin protection, but quite possible - even for a numpty like me.

My reasoning on not paying the extra $50 for the Vista was that I wear a compass on my watch when I'm riding anyway and the compass and altimeter function is known to use more battery power.  The Legend will tell you if you're climbing or descending, based on GPS signals, but it won't be as accurate as the barometric altimeter.

My Legend has been BRILLIANT.  It's maiden voyage was on the Dun Run and thanks to an expertly put together route, it performed flawlessly.  Since then, I've mainly used the postcode auto-routing and it's been really great.  I don't miss a compass, because as soon as you're rolling, if you're going the wrong way down the road, it soon becomes obvious.  Before I set off, I just check my old fashioned compass if I'm not sure.  Pay the extra for a Vista if you like, but if you buy a Legend, you won't really miss any of the fun  :)

I hope you told the nice customs man .........

Thanks for the views - I think the Legend HCx looks like the answer.   The sun/time gives me a good feel for direction and as for altitude ... I avoid hills if I can!

As my original post suggested, one of the main reasons to upgrade from my serial connected Legend (basic) is to get the USB connection ... I presume this has worked OK and not been flaky like serial ports have a habit of being?

Thanks

Rob

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: 12 August, 2008, 10:23:41 am »
Seems fine to me.  Mind you, it's only been plugged in a handful of times thus far.  No reason to doubt it.

Oh - and another thing:  I dumped my GPS off the bars during the Mersey Roads and it bounced down the road.  The mount is crap, but the unit itself didn't even turn off or loose satellite lock!  It's got a bit of road rash now, but I'm seriously impressed with how rugged it is.  Moral of the story - use a safety loop round the bars, so if it does come off, it's only dangling on the wrist cord...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

robgul

« Reply #14 on: 13 August, 2008, 12:31:32 am »
Just ordered the Legend HCx ... best deal was Amazon* with a package including a microSD card - all in about £16 less than GlobalGizmos (for just the GPS) who seem to operate Ryanair-type add-ons for carriage and then using a credit card  >:(

... and the "safety cord" is a good idea :thumbsup:  ... I have a loop of thin polyprop cord threaded through the lanyard hole that then hooks over the bars (although, so far, the bar mount seems to hold the thing OK .... but then I just tootle along  .....  O:-) )

Thanks for the advice.

Rob

* and aggro-proof if there's a problem with anything.

richie_b

« Reply #15 on: 19 August, 2008, 12:32:18 am »
Just ordered the Legend HCx ... best deal was Amazon* with a package including a microSD card - all in about £16 less than GlobalGizmos (for just the GPS) who seem to operate Ryanair-type add-ons for carriage and then using a credit card  >:(

... and the "safety cord" is a good idea :thumbsup:  ... I have a loop of thin polyprop cord threaded through the lanyard hole that then hooks over the bars (although, so far, the bar mount seems to hold the thing OK .... but then I just tootle along  .....  O:-) )

Thanks for the advice.

Rob

A bit late replying, but my Legend HCx has been fine with it's USB connection.  It replaced a Legend & the USB connection has never been any bother (once the right drivers are loaded, which can take time)

The HCx is far better at getting on with PCs IME. Enjoy your new toy!

robgul

« Reply #16 on: 19 August, 2008, 07:54:09 am »

Thanks for the advice.

Rob

A bit late replying, but my Legend HCx has been fine with it's USB connection.  It replaced a Legend & the USB connection has never been any bother (once the right drivers are loaded, which can take time)

The HCx is far better at getting on with PCs IME. Enjoy your new toy!

That's exactly what I found with the USB - in fact the first route I transferred from MemMap I went back and did again because I didn't believe it had happened so quickly!  Use the HCx for one ride ... excellent, with the bleep warnings etc.

Rob

« Reply #17 on: 26 November, 2008, 08:36:35 pm »
Am I right in thinking that GPSonline has ceased trading?