Author Topic: Tramp drinks reviewed  (Read 10435 times)

Re: Tramp drinks reviewed
« Reply #25 on: 04 October, 2012, 08:47:33 pm »
Scotsmac, very real, I remember being shouted at loudly by wvm (plus ca change) for drinking a bottle by the side of the road in Cardiff in the 1980s. Whisky mixed with wine (of some description) to give 75cl of special 20% belly warmness. I was quite excited a few weeks ago to see a bottle at an offie just 15min walk from here.

see also Clandew.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #26 on: 04 October, 2012, 08:56:09 pm »
Clan Dew, I remember that - took a swig and that was enough.

There was a cycling club I used to see around Scotland (Lanarkshire somewhere?) in the 90s called Buckfast Valley Wheelers, named after the favourite drink of the local Neds. I don't think they're going any more.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #27 on: 04 October, 2012, 09:11:04 pm »
Sweet and nasty though it may be, I think Thunderbird has achieved a kind of kitsch status shared with Babycham and Woodpecker Cider, also "beginner" drinks.  There's something of the Route 66, rock 'n' roll, road movie about it too.  And the bottle is (or was) a bit like 1950s obscure glass or a Pelikan celluloid pen, with those stripes.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #28 on: 04 October, 2012, 09:51:10 pm »
Anything from a Yates's Wine Lodge.
Including the clientele?

Most definitely.

« Reply #29 on: 04 October, 2012, 09:53:26 pm »
Scotsmac...        ...see also Clandew.

That's the bunny!

Some of these concoctions cause long-term memory loss...

« Reply #30 on: 04 October, 2012, 09:55:08 pm »
Sweet and nasty though it may be, I think Thunderbird has achieved a kind of kitsch status shared with Babycham and Woodpecker Cider, also "beginner" drinks.  There's something of the Route 66, rock 'n' roll, road movie about it too.  And the bottle is (or was) a bit like 1950s obscure glass or a Pelikan celluloid pen, with those stripes.

I was horrified to find a case of it in a friend's kitchen.

« Reply #31 on: 04 October, 2012, 10:13:50 pm »
Quote from: Ian Dury
Shall I mourn your decline with some Thunderbird wine and a black hankerchief...

Sweet Gene Vincent
"Il veut moins de riches, moi je veux moins de pauvres"

« Reply #32 on: 04 October, 2012, 11:59:51 pm »
I remember in my youf when the funds didn't stretch to a quarter bottle of Bushmills, there was a fortified wine by the name of Mundies which did the job. Not elegant, but effective.

I saw Scotmac (or noticed it) for the first time tonight in 15 years. A 'quality blend of fine Scotch Whisky and select British Wine'. Trading Standards, anyone?
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
« Reply #33 on: 05 October, 2012, 12:11:58 am »
Meths is foul.

Use IMS when practising fire breathing instead of the blue dyed stuff.

Aside: rhubarb wine has a very high methanol content; the hangover headaches are unusually unpleasant. DAHIKT