Author Topic: Camp coffee  (Read 9917 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Camp coffee
« Reply #25 on: 01 January, 2013, 03:41:15 pm »
Barley coffee is still around in Poland, where it doubtless enjoyed an enforced second popularity in the 80s but is now more often given to kids (it's caffeine-free).

I seem to remember it being imported from Poland, we always had some for Conservation Volunteers in the 1980s, as many 'Wove their own yoghurt'.
Interesting. In fact...
Camp can still be found in supermarkets. Barleycup is more the sort of thing you get in healthfood shops. A colleague of mine who can't drink tea or coffee (he'd like to, but any caffeine interferes with his medication to prevent him sleeping at all) drinks something called "Inka", which he describes as like Barleycup, but nice. He gets that from the healthfood shop he does deliveries for.

A few years back they redrew the label for Camp, so that the Sikh manservant now sits down for a cuppa with the officer he used to serve.
Inka is a Polish brand, so that seems to confirm it. I'm glad your colleague likes it. I don't!

OT but Sesame Snaps are also imported from Poland (I remember noticing this as a kid, then rediscovering them when I moved out there) in contrast to Inka they're very tasty (IMO) - I usually have one in my saddlebag as emergency energy rations!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Re: Camp coffee
« Reply #26 on: 01 January, 2013, 05:20:41 pm »
I'm glad your colleague likes it. I don't!

He does, but he'd rather be able to have real coffee! He's on some medication that makes sleep difficult anyway, and adding even decaff versions of tea or coffee makes sleep impossible. He can't eat chocolate either, which is a real shame at this time of year when people give us choccy bikkies or Quality Street as tips...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk