Author Topic: Tour of Britain 2013 route  (Read 4956 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: Tour of Britain 2013 route
« Reply #25 on: 18 September, 2013, 08:02:48 pm »
Fabulous finish! And how did Pelucchi stay on after Von Hoff sideswiped him on the line? Amazing bike handling! Great stage. Garmin will take it to Sky tomorrow...

LEE

« Reply #26 on: 19 September, 2013, 09:00:01 am »
Great work by Cav, it was great watching him switching leadouts in the final 500m.  He's very distinctive head-on, so low down, it's easy to spot him as he selects the best person to slipstream at any given moment.  Impressive at 70km/hr in a packed bunch sprint like that.

I've only ever done that descent in the dark (and rain mostly).  Maybe I should try a bit hard to get to Pen-Y-Pass in daylight so I can enjoy the descent to Llanberis a bit more.  Still, nice to say "I've done that" for once since the D'Huez, Galibier and Tourmalet are still on my bucket list.

« Reply #27 on: 19 September, 2013, 10:19:53 am »
Fabulous finish! And how did Pelucchi stay on after Von Hoff sideswiped him on the line? Amazing bike handling! Great stage. Garmin will take it to Sky tomorrow...

I think you'll find that was Pelucchi swiping Von Hofff after careering across the finish line. I'm surprised he didn't get a ticking off for coming off his line.
Reine de la Fauche

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #28 on: 19 September, 2013, 10:21:19 am »
Yes, you're right! I transposed finishing positions without re-checking the video. Doh!

« Reply #29 on: 19 September, 2013, 03:17:22 pm »
I've only ever done that descent in the dark (and rain mostly).  Maybe I should try a bit hard to get to Pen-Y-Pass in daylight so I can enjoy the descent to Llanberis a bit more.  Still, nice to say "I've done that" for once since the D'Huez, Galibier and Tourmalet are still on my bucket list.

Did you, or any BCM/Irish Mail/MC1K veterans come to that, think that the distance from the the turn by the pub the to the summit was a lot longer yesterday for the pros than it is for us randonneurs?

Also odd for riders from Beddgelert to think that the KoM only started at that turn.

I've done the descent in daylight.  It's good but I think it looks even better from a helicopter.  And who knew the lake by Llanberis was quite that big?

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #30 on: 19 September, 2013, 05:45:29 pm »
It's not really a climb though from Capel Curig. Along the valley it isn't flat, but it only ramps up after the Pen y Gwryd hotel. I always think of it as quite short - at least it pales in comparison to coming the other way.

I'm just back from Mynydd Caerffili again - thousands there, and thousands more down in the town. The Dragons raised the bar with their fancy dress this year - watch the highlights!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #31 on: 19 September, 2013, 10:00:55 pm »
I thought it was a rather timid climb that way, it is just the short bit up and round from the hotel that is of note. The climb up from Beddgelert is more substantial.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #32 on: 20 September, 2013, 03:37:41 pm »

LEE

« Reply #33 on: 21 September, 2013, 06:12:51 pm »
I thought it was a rather timid climb that way, it is just the short bit up and round from the hotel that is of note. The climb up from Beddgelert is more substantial.

Pen-y-Pass Youth Hostel is at about 359m.

Beddgelert is about 50m

Capel Curig is about 190m

So yes, the Beddgellery ascent (The BCM600 route), while being quite a long road (12km to the Hotel turn), gains around 300m

The hotel turn, for the final climb is about 276m.

That final climb is 1.6km, from 276m to 359m.

I started to get cramp in the "Glutes" just as I approached the turning, I'm just not used to long, relentless uphills like that, even if they aren't incredibly steep.

« Reply #34 on: 22 September, 2013, 04:35:01 pm »
Blimey, are Hugh P and Brian S on a retainer from BoJo to promote cycling in London? Nice to be informed but not every 3rd sentence.
Working my way up to inferior.