Author Topic: This is not a tour. Welsh rides in the spirit of Mike Hall - 2/3rd June 2018.  (Read 63841 times)

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
How self sufficient are people planning to go for the fast 400? I was wondering about carrying all my food and water from the start, but I think that might be difficult, based on doing that on a DIY 200 which I got around, but felt mightily hungry.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Carrying enough food for 24 hour would be problematic for me.  I'll carry something but will need to stock up on route.
Regards,

Joergen

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
I think the longest shop/café-free leg is about 110km, based on my understanding of the very-draft route, so packing a sandwich and a couple of large bidons should be enough, I'd've thought.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Will the route be fleshed out in detail, or is this a design-the-route-yourself-based-on-controls type of affair?

vistaed

• Everyday stories
Full route details will be available about 2 weeks before the event. But a number of people on this thread have worked out the route in good detail and its unlikely to change much from that. In the spirit of Mike, when he organised his valley cat events riders had little to no advance notice of the route and had to work out their route before setting off. As such two weeks advanced notice is generous and fairly typical for audax. My advice would be to plan for approx 100km of no supply after Dolgellau if your on the 400km. I've not figured out the 600km yet.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
I reckon leaving Dolgethlau on the 600 with a full bag of food and bottles would be wise. Don't want to wait for hopeful pub food. Caernarfon mostly shut after 10pm and I'll probably be there later. Could be ok for the quicks though. Bala co-op not open until 10 am. Need to do a proper check but the middle 200 entirely self sufficient through the night appeals.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

vistaed

• Everyday stories
As a 'volunteer' I'll be setting out to ride the 600km on the 19th May. Yes BC weekend. Initial scoping of open supply options between Dolgellau and Newton is returning a blank. Heck! That's going to be a long night section with very full pockets.

Smeth

Glad Im not the only one drawing blanks. Did 220k once on two big fat sarnies and fig rolls plus the odd gel and powder.
The search continues, then I'll look for taps.

Yes - water will be the main issue for me on such a long stretch I think. Guess i'll just have to carry more than usual.

Better start looking for churches on cemeteries: they might have taps ...

Initial scoping of open supply options between Dolgellau and Newton is returning a blank. Heck! That's going to be a long night section with very full pockets.

Ah "Newtown" (no wonder I couldn't find it). You mean the whole northern loop through Snowdonia and then back down?

As a 'volunteer' I'll be setting out to ride the 600km on the 19th May. Yes BC weekend. Initial scoping of open supply options between Dolgellau and Newton is returning a blank. Heck! That's going to be a long night section with very full pockets.

There's a 24-hour petrol station a short distance away from Llanberis:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Beran+Service+Station/@53.1526403,-4.1575546,13.58z/data=!4m8!1m2!2m1!1spetrol+station!3m4!1s0x0:0x73b28b39c69832cd!8m2!3d53.1589509!4d-4.1394813

The Shell in Betws-y-Coed is apparently 24-hour:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Shell/@53.0332702,-3.8535548,11.58z/data=!4m8!1m2!2m1!1spetrol+station!3m4!1s0x0:0x56d2f3cb7eb1027a!8m2!3d53.0851838!4d-3.7956476

Smeth

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Shell/@53.0332702,-3.8535548,11.58z/data=!4m8!1m2!2m1!1spetrol+station!3m4!1s0x0:0x56d2f3cb7eb1027a!8m2!3d53.0851838!4d-3.7956476

Just phoned the Betws one. Confirmed 24/7, locked door at night but shop goods available. Coffee machine...YES!  Nice one Zakalwe. Although I shall not totally rely.

:thumbsup: nice one - thanks !

Just phoned the Betws one. Confirmed 24/7, locked door at night but shop goods available. Coffee machine...YES!  Nice one Zakalwe. Although I shall not totally rely.

Excellent!  As far as I could see, no more 24/7 petrol stations between there and Newtown, so I might stop off at the one near Llanberis first, just in case.  Like you said, don't want to put all my eggs in one basket.

Excellent!  As far as I could see, no more 24/7 petrol stations between there and Newtown, so I might stop off at the one near Llanberis first, just in case.  Like you said, don't want to put all my eggs in one basket.

I used to live at the bottom of the hill that Beran garage is at the top of...it's approach to 24hr was not 100% reliable, though things may well have changed in the intervening years.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
Since posting yesterday I also found those two garage options. Not looking bleak now. So the 400km event may have the fewest night time options after Dolgellau. But that's what we had to deal with when riding the route last year, and apart from lots of rain, nothing adverse occurred.

So the 400km event may have the fewest night time options after Dolgellau.

I'm basing my 400km ride around the Newtown McDonalds (~315km?) that claims to be 24 hour. "13 cheeseburgers please" :thumbsup:

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
Could be more problematic for me as being veggie, McDonalds is not a viable option for me.  So I'll need to stock up in Dolgellau.  Being on the 400 populaire and planning on getting some sleep en-route, I may actually be in Newtown when some shops are actually open.  A good excuse for a lie-in then  ;D

vistaed

• Everyday stories
***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***
Some beer has been ordered for Sunday's refreshments.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
Any chance of posting the locations of the (info) controls soonish? I'm heading over to the UK this Thursday and will have no facilities after that to prepare (uploading gpx to my garmin etc).

vistaed

• Everyday stories
We are conducting final checks to assess winter damage to routes. As is normal for black sheep events, and has been explained a few times over the last few months, routes will be shared approximately 2 weeks ahead of the event. We have a lot checks to be made and want to ensure no mistakes are made. We want to get it right first time. I k ow this won't suite everyones needs.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Having been on both sides of this problem, I have sympathy for both parties!

Mr Zed: I won't be bringing anything really useful with me (like a laptop and garmin leads etc), but happy to do stuff like printout routesheets/rider-instructions and bring along spare copies for our Prestigious International Guests  :P PM me and if necessary we can exchange other details.

Ideally someone from the L'Wells area will popup with unlimited IT help available on the Friday. And the moon on a stick :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

vistaed

• Everyday stories
***UPDATE***
There are some more details regarding the Sunday afternoon and evening social plans over on the TINAT website. Note that TINAT riders will not be charged for food and drink. However, spectators will be charged £10 to cover costs. Any profits will be going to charity. http://tinat.cymru/the-social/

I'd like to join the Social but don't have Instagram, or Facebook, and I don't seem to be able to leave a comment on the page as requested.  :facepalm:

Will a request in this forum work instead?

vistaed

• Everyday stories
I'd like to join the Social but don't have Instagram, or Facebook, and I don't seem to be able to leave a comment on the page as requested.  :facepalm:

Will a request in this forum work instead?
Of course, just PM me your name and that will be fine. I'll look into the website comments.