Author Topic: Time Triallist's Tools  (Read 2356 times)

Maladict

Time Triallist's Tools
« on: 23 April, 2008, 11:57:39 am »
What do you carry?  Pump?  Multitool?  I guess if you have a mechanical on a 10, your time's shot anyway.  But it'd be nice to be able to get back to the start line?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Time Triallist's Tools
« Reply #1 on: 23 April, 2008, 12:17:44 pm »
For the bike section of short triathlons (which are the same sort of thing) I take a little pack with a tube and gas, but it's really just so I don't DNF.

For oly tri (25 miles, ish), it's a tube, two gas and some insty-patches.  A flat would spoil my time but not my whole day.

Multitool and tyre levers always go with me; I don't bother with the more audaxy stuff like chain tools :)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2008, 12:47:25 pm »
Nothing on a 5 or 10.
Longest walk will be 5 miles max. Or someone will come and collect.
Chance of a mechanical is slim.
Puncture and you may as well stop anyhow.

Saw someone finish the local 10 once on 1 pedal.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #3 on: 23 April, 2008, 05:08:01 pm »
Mobile phone and a light multitool with allen keys and screwdriver - for any niggles before the start really, such as shoe plates loose or limit screws on gear mechs.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Maladict

« Reply #4 on: 23 April, 2008, 05:11:47 pm »
Well, given I'll be riding to the start tomorrow, the worst-case walk home is ~9.5 miles so I reckon a mini pump, multitool, spare inner and phone would be about right.

gonzo

« Reply #5 on: 23 April, 2008, 05:13:20 pm »
Nothing; another rider will see you and likely send for help when they get back to the HQ.

Domestique

« Reply #6 on: 23 April, 2008, 05:32:15 pm »
A spare tube and a pump isnt going to slow me down that much. The thought of pushing my bike 5 miles makes me want to be :sick: