Author Topic: New September Audaxes from Hertfordshire  (Read 5379 times)

Phil W

New September Audaxes from Hertfordshire
« on: 17 August, 2018, 01:15:14 pm »
A couple of new audaxes in Hertfordshire, running on Sat 22nd September. Easy to get to by train on the East Coast main line from Kings Cross or via junction 7/8 the A1.  Free parking at start. Pub and cafe finishes respectively.

The Four Minute Mile 200

A new event. An outing to the Iffley stadium, Oxford where the four minute mile was broken by Roger Bannister in 1954. Double crossing of Chilterns, rolling and scenic ridgeline through Vale of Aylesbury.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-265/
https://hertsaudax.uk/the-four-minute-mile-200/

Hertfordshire Greenways 100

A new event. An outing to explore The Cole Green Way, Alban Way, Nickey Line, and Ayot Greenway. All disused railways that have been turned into greenways.

Approx 45km of the route is on the greenways / gravel sections. Mix of paved and gravel sections suitable for a road bike. A couple of easy gravel sections in addition to the greenways. Cafe at half way point. An x rated event that uses commercial controls.  Nice relaxed time limit to allow you to enjoy the greenways and / or have a picnic along the way,

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-268/
https://hertsaudax.uk/hertfordshire-greenways-100/

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
Re: New September Audaxes from Hertfordshire
« Reply #1 on: 17 August, 2018, 01:38:27 pm »
Looks very tempting, thanks Phil.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2 on: 17 August, 2018, 01:39:00 pm »
it's a great idea and an inspiring website... I'm sure you will have plenty of takers. I'll think about it, although I suspect I have ran out of brownie points and I can't even use the excuse that I need this ride for an award...  ;D

You might want to amend the site... it is Missenden

« Reply #3 on: 17 August, 2018, 01:45:25 pm »

Indeed. Are you thinking of ECEing the Greenways?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Phil W

« Reply #4 on: 17 August, 2018, 01:45:57 pm »
You might want to amend the site... it is Missenden

Whoops, corrected, and best check spelling on route sheet as well.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5 on: 17 August, 2018, 02:04:13 pm »

Do we know where the start is located, looking like a 70km one way for me. Subject to how I feel after the dutch trip.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #6 on: 17 August, 2018, 02:18:57 pm »

Do we know where the start is located, looking like a 70km one way for me. Subject to how I feel after the dutch trip.

Fairlands Valley, Stevenage

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #7 on: 17 August, 2018, 02:24:49 pm »

SG2 0BL, Fairlands Valley Park.

ECEing The Greenway would be good. Bit too flat for you though Psyclist. I suppose the journey to the Tour Divide must start somewhere though, in your case Stevenage!

I don't think I'll have the weekend free for this, unfortunately.

Phil W

« Reply #8 on: 17 August, 2018, 02:28:41 pm »
The 100 has 1000m of climbing so not entirely flat by Essex standards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #9 on: 17 August, 2018, 03:31:24 pm »
The lowest I can get this down to is 64k with some A road bashing to Sawbridgeworth - 8AM start however means brevet o'clock is quite early  :o  Route back would be longer to avoid the A roads, so probably a 135k round trip

Also the day after some birthday celebrations... so a lot stacking against it unfortunately though I will be riding some of the Greenways in a weeks time on my way SW so looking forward to them.

Should be a grand event  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #10 on: 17 August, 2018, 03:44:27 pm »
I'm DIYing my way over there tomorrow to ride the 100 with Phil. I think I'm about 90k out and some more coming back but I'm sticking with a 200km DIY and 100 odd just for a bike ride.

I ECE'ed one of the other Stevenage rides when I was still in Tiptree and it made for a really nice 300.

Phil W

« Reply #11 on: 17 August, 2018, 05:46:45 pm »
The lowest I can get this down to is 64k with some A road bashing to Sawbridgeworth - 8AM start however means brevet o'clock is quite early  :o  Route back would be longer to avoid the A roads, so probably a 135k round trip

Also the day after some birthday celebrations... so a lot stacking against it unfortunately though I will be riding some of the Greenways in a weeks time on my way SW so looking forward to them.

If you turn up I will align my tyre logos especially for you.  How about that for an incentive!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #12 on: 17 August, 2018, 06:34:40 pm »

If you turn up I will align my tyre logos especially for you.  How about that for an incentive!

That's tempting, but I suspect brevet o'clock and a hangover might not mix :D
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #13 on: 18 August, 2018, 09:12:04 am »
Start is only just up the road from me (same place as the Stevenage Summertime/Emitremmus rides), so already in my diary :thumbsup:

« Reply #14 on: 18 August, 2018, 09:53:07 am »
Oh come on Phil, you're making my decision between this and the Humber 200 REALLY hard!

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

Phil W

« Reply #15 on: 18 August, 2018, 07:51:49 pm »
Hertfordshire Greenways 100 routesheet check done. Tippers came over to include it as part of a DIY 200. Thanks for the company. I will leave it to Tippers to comment on what he thought of the route. Photos from Alban Greenway and pub finish.

Phil W

« Reply #16 on: 18 August, 2018, 08:01:50 pm »
Oh come on Phil, you're making my decision between this and the Humber 200 REALLY hard!

I can't compete with the Humber bridge but my 200 route is scenic throughout and has no info controls.  ;D

« Reply #17 on: 19 August, 2018, 08:01:38 am »

I can't compete with the Humber bridge but my 200 route is scenic throughout and has no info controls.  ;D

Well that's good, I'd only forget a pencil anyway!

« Reply #18 on: 19 August, 2018, 08:43:20 am »
The greenaway looks interesting, and is definitely rideable to and from the prospective chez Thing. Hopefully by then it will actually *be* chez Thing which would simplify the logistics somewhat! It's also the same day as the harpenden beer festival, so we might need to incorporate a beer (or a hangover) into the mix.
California Dreaming

« Reply #19 on: 19 August, 2018, 09:17:52 am »
I rode over to Stevenage yesterday to ride the 100 Route Check with Phil and I'd have to say all those of you riding it (ECEing or not) are in for a treat.

Quiet lanes and traffic free Greenways are the order of the day. A lot of time spent riding through obviously very urban areas but because you are on the greenways there is no traffic and for the most part it is uninterrupted progress. Looking at the map this morning I am surprised at just how far into some of these towns we were, it never really felt like that.

There is a bit of rolling terrain around St Albans but as I was feeling in pretty poor shape yesterday I can't really say it was overly arduous and it really is quite concentrated.

The pub at the finish is lovely (and was VERY much needed for me yesterday)

Phil W

« Reply #20 on: 28 August, 2018, 03:04:50 pm »
There are no really steep hills on the Hertfordshire Greenways route.  The steepest / longest grades come after St Albans and before you get on the Nickey Line in Hemel Hempstead.  There is a long climb on the way up to Bedmond and a couple of longish climbs up to Bovingdon from Kings Langley.  The steepest gradient is around 12% in that area.  It probably feels stiff as it is after the gentle grades on the Alban Way.  Once on the Nickey Line the route returns to gentle gradients again.

I need to pop out and take some photos of the final stages of the Hertfordshire Greenways 100 and get them on the website. I have rerouted it at no extra distance to come by the Stevenage pub the Four Minute Mile 200 finishes at.  Thus later 100 finishers can mix with the faster 200 finishers.  If anything the finishing lanes of the 100 are even quieter than my original choice. Not that either are busy.

The steepest grade on the Four Minute Mile is 20% plus a few 13-15% hills later on.  The 20% hill is not for very long as I rerouted to avoid the full straight up climb that the original route had. Optionally you can still climb the full length of the 20% hill should you choose.

This is around some of the steeper lanes encountered in the Chilterns (on the Four Minute Mile 200).

If anyone would like to join me on the helpers ride / route check of the Four Minute Mile 200 on Sat Sept 15th and can sit in a pub late afternoon on Sat Sept 22nd waiting for riders; let me know.

Phil W

« Reply #21 on: 08 September, 2018, 10:15:05 am »
Just ordered the brevet cards for both events. Final route checks next weekend. Not long now.

Phil W

« Reply #22 on: 10 September, 2018, 12:45:35 pm »
Brevet cards are here. I have had a rush of entries since I placed the order. So if you are looking to enter please do it this week so I can order more cards next weekend if necessary. https://hertsaudax.uk/

Phil W

« Reply #23 on: 16 September, 2018, 02:42:01 pm »
The Hertfordshire Greenways 100 and Four Minute Mile 200 info, routesheets, and GPX have been emailed out to entrants in the last hour. Please check your inboxes.

I am now down to single figures for spare brevet cards (including the extra already ordered)  for both events. I will keep entries open but be aware if you leave it till the last minute you may end up with a photocopy of a brevet card.

Looking forward to welcoming you all to these first editions.

« Reply #24 on: 16 September, 2018, 06:39:54 pm »
Hm, nothing yet (four hours on). Should I be worried?