Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 445165 times)

felstedrider

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #2475 on: 21 November, 2022, 04:51:58 pm »
Having built up to 10k last Winter and then getting injured I have been back at it since late Summer.

I was within 10s of my Parkrun PB a couple of weeks ago and am close to my 10k PB.   I completed my first 10 miler last weekend and have a Half Marathon this weekend.   I am still getting my fair share of aches and pains but switching from a lifetime of cycling was always going to be hard.   I can't see myself ever doing the same hours I can do on a bike.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2476 on: 21 November, 2022, 05:21:48 pm »
I’m currently 7 minutes away from my parkrun pb - but I was 10 years younger and 14kg lighter when I set that…
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2477 on: 25 November, 2022, 04:21:42 pm »
Well done Jasmine and Quisling.  Motivation for my next long run.  Hopefully will have a go at the Basingstoke Canal in the spring, probably just before the clocks go back when the mornings are getting light.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

P.P.

• Slowly, slowly, catchy monkey!
    • Paul's blog
« Reply #2478 on: 25 November, 2022, 10:27:01 pm »
Hopefully will have a go at the Basingstoke Canal in the spring, probably just before the clocks go back when the mornings are getting light.

It's a good run, with a few shops and plenty of bail out opportunities if you need it along the way.

I've run it as an ultra a couple of times and in my limited opinion, it's a more interesting route starting at the Woking end and heading towards Basingstoke, (it gets a bit built up at the woking end). But, there's more train stations and shops etc if you need them going the other way. There's also a water tap at the canal centre (Mychett?) Which is quite handy.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2479 on: 26 November, 2022, 06:14:40 am »
Hopefully will have a go at the Basingstoke Canal in the spring, probably just before the clocks go back when the mornings are getting light.

It's a good run, with a few shops and plenty of bail out opportunities if you need it along the way.

I've run it as an ultra a couple of times and in my limited opinion, it's a more interesting route starting at the Woking end and heading towards Basingstoke, (it gets a bit built up at the woking end). But, there's more train stations and shops etc if you need them going the other way. There's also a water tap at the canal centre (Mychett?) Which is quite handy.

That's the way I intend to run it, as it is running 'home'.  I'll get the train from Basingstoke to West Byfleet and then run back.  I will do the full course of the canal, ending up in Festival Place, which is where the original canal head was.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

felstedrider

« Reply #2480 on: 27 November, 2022, 02:41:56 pm »
1:50:54 at the Olympic Park Half this morning.  A bit wet and lots of people.  A really convoluted route took us into lots of places around the park that I hadn’t seen.  A mile of it was round the road circuit by the velodrome, which is not flat.

Pretty pleased with that.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2481 on: 17 December, 2022, 05:15:22 pm »
Ran my 17-mile test piece today, to take advantage of the last of the frozen ground, following a half-marathon down the Loddon valley the weekend before.  Definitely wasn't on a fast day but lumbered around 15-minutes slower than usual for 98th lifetime half-marathon distance.  There's a temptation to aim for numbers 99 and 100 before the year end but will play it by ear.

The nice bit was finding the path from Reeds Fm to Weston Corbett to add another trail section and eliminate the one bit of out-and-back on the route.

With PBP qualifying coming up, running will take a back seat soon, so if I am to have a go at the Basingstoke Canal it will have to be before Easter, perhaps if there is a cold snap in February to dry up the mud.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2482 on: 03 January, 2023, 05:04:09 pm »
Didn't get around to running over Christmas - got a few tidy cycle rides in instead.  Took the opportunity of a slow start and working at home courtesy of RMT to fit in a trail run in the fading light.  12.5km in the Loddon Valley, proper sloppy conditions with one section in the River Lyde rather than beside it.  Haven't had as much fun running in ages.  I think putting up 5kg overweight actually helped keep me upright.  Tackling the tail end of my working day with a big grin on my face.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2483 on: 11 January, 2023, 08:25:01 pm »
Took the opportunity of working away (in Huntingdon) to fit in a half-marathon before work this morning.  Plotted an easy to navigate out and back route (avoiding the temptation to run along the Great Ouse as, given recent rainfall that might have involved some running in the Great Ouse, and was blessed by a 2/3 waning moon that was bright enough to cast shadows.  One more to go to reach a 100 halves. 

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2484 on: 18 January, 2023, 09:46:16 am »
Thought I would take advantage of frozen ground for a trail run today, but it turned out that the most saturated parts of the trails were only half-frozen, making it hard work (and always the risk of getting ice-scrapes from putting a foot on an icy puddle which doesn't hold my weight.  Changed my route part-way round to try to find better trails.  Was still better off than cycling though, lots of icy patches on untreated roads.  Hopefully 8.5 miles today will keep the running fitness going for when it gets lighter and the ground is more trustworthy.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2485 on: 29 January, 2023, 06:00:10 pm »
Set off down the Loddon Valley today battling gloopy ground.  Tried out the trail from Daneshill School to Heckfield.  It didn't look like it got much traffic, but the route was clear all the way, so that opens up a new area for exploration.  Was running out of time for a full exploration, so took a short cut on the way back.  Still came to 15 miles, so that's the 100th half-marathon+ distance run.  :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug:

« Reply #2486 on: 29 January, 2023, 06:52:41 pm »
very steady 11 miles here.  Still using run / walk, but up to 8:2 which gives loads of time to recover.  I got to 90 minutes with no issues, comfortably in zone 2 as per the plan, but then something went awry and my heart rate shot up by 20 and the last half an hour was pretty tough.

It might have been dehydration?  I had jelly babies which I was scoffing a couple of every 'walk', but had no liquid to go with them.  I dont think I've been for a pee in the 7 hours since I got back either...  I'll be shopping for a camelback tonight!

Just being able to go out and do the distance seems nuts - my legs are a bit tired nothing actually hurts... I've only been running again about 5 months and was struggling to do 20 minutes, half run half walk.  Makes the August ironman plan feel a bit more achievable.

« Reply #2487 on: 31 January, 2023, 04:46:48 pm »
Sounds like you've all been busy, and well done CET on getting to 100 half-marathons.  I'm probably nowhere near that but gave up counting a while ago.  I did a nice nearly 20 mile route through Kingsclere, Watership Down, Burghclere and looping home over the weekend.  Averaging about 33 miles per week at the moment, getting ready for my first 50k through the Chilterns in March.  Looking forward to that.

« Reply #2488 on: 06 February, 2023, 04:00:21 pm »
So about a month back a newish friend casually asked if id like to do one of those charity 24 challenges. This one being 100km in 24 hours

Whilst I haven't committed yet it has taken my interest and motivated me to start running again in the dark evenings (I'm not expecting to run the whole thing) I had been running during the deep dark days of lockdown 1 and have run on and off over the years.

Really pleased how it's come back to me. Did 14km on Saturday at around 5:30 km splits and felt really good

Mid weeks fairly limited by running in dark but planning a shorter midweek and then longer runs on Saturdays although will mean like last time trained for a charity ride early starts so as not to impact on family life too much

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2489 on: 10 February, 2023, 09:10:28 am »
Repeated my Huntingdon run this morning - substantially faster (a) no navigation errors, (b) a lot drier, (c) nicely frozen ground with a good crunch to it, (d) motivated by going faster and aimed for a time - so the last 4k were the fastest 4k of the route.  Starts off a second century of halfs.

« Reply #2490 on: 11 February, 2023, 11:54:45 am »
Insominic run today as lots to do. Out the door before 0630 for a slow run as very much building distance over speed. Mild but grey unlike yesterday's beautiful sunrise. Walking an slight incline a few km in and got over taken by another runner who annoyingly was just a bit slower then me once I'd started running again so eventually had to pass and thankfully they went a different way as I headed off into the country lanes which were blissfully quiet, I'd actually clipped on a rear light but probably didn't need it.

Surprised by how muddy the tow path I went on was as been fairly dry so that slowed me to a walk for a fair bit as too slippy to run much but emerged from that and turned for home with a quick stop to dig some artichokes for other allotment holders to help themselves to as far too many for us to get through

The last 5km from the allotment felt hard as had cooled slightly but ended up with pretty much bang on a half marathon (wasn't planned had aimed for 20km) in 2:15

Still home by 9am to start trying to get family moving

« Reply #2491 on: 11 February, 2023, 12:52:55 pm »
Insominic run today as lots to do. Out the door before 0630 for a slow run as very much building distance over speed. Mild but grey unlike yesterday's beautiful sunrise. Walking an slight incline a few km in and got over taken by another runner who annoyingly was just a bit slower then me once I'd started running again so eventually had to pass and thankfully they went a different way as I headed off into the country lanes which were blissfully quiet, I'd actually clipped on a rear light but probably didn't need it.

Surprised by how muddy the tow path I went on was as been fairly dry so that slowed me to a walk for a fair bit as too slippy to run much but emerged from that and turned for home with a quick stop to dig some artichokes for other allotment holders to help themselves to as far too many for us to get through

The last 5km from the allotment felt hard as had cooled slightly but ended up with pretty much bang on a half marathon (wasn't planned had aimed for 20km) in 2:15

Still home by 9am to start trying to get family moving

Always good to stop at the allotment on a run - ours are only 1/4 mile away which helps.

As for artichokes (Jerusalem) - I have far too many and, while they have only the conventional effect on my metabolism - Sue finds they give her quite nasty stomach cramps. Consequently, we eat far fewer than we grow. And, as many will know, once they’re in they tend to come back year after year whether you want them or not!

Sounds like a nice morning out

« Reply #2492 on: 16 February, 2023, 06:47:50 am »
Another 10km last night, had gone out expecting it to have cooled off as had previous evenings this week but didn't so was blooming warm. Seem to have settled into a pace of around 5:40 per km which I know isn't fast but seems to be one I settle into and can just trot along at which as training for a big run is what I need.

Did have another moment of a quick dash with phone in hand as stopped to walk last bit and was on 9.89km so had to make up to the 10. Reckon can add a few other estates but starting to reach the limit of distance I can actually fit in by doing a lap of my town

« Reply #2493 on: 18 February, 2023, 03:26:57 pm »
A mostly cross country 20ish km this morning. Was really mild but windy which did make some parts a slog. Found it hard and felt like walked more but was actually faster then last week over 20km despite having stopped for a few photos.

Best bit was finishing at my mums where kids had been for a sleepover so got fed breakfast, although the youngest donned my running backpack leaving me her overnight bag rucksack and decided we would run home which was just what my stiff legs wanted

« Reply #2494 on: 13 March, 2023, 02:57:09 pm »
The trails have certainly got very wet over the last week.

Went out Friday evening for a solo half-marathon the road, but the light of my headtorch.  Started quick to warm up as it was just about 0C, and then kept going.  Smashed my personal best HM time by over 6 minutes so now down to 1:46:07.  Not quite the 1:45 I'd like but substantial improvement on my previous >1:52.  It was a stupid think to do as I have a 50k trail race next Sat and the legs are feeling it a bit, but should be recovered.  Looks like it's going to be a slippy race next weekend.

« Reply #2495 on: 13 March, 2023, 04:18:57 pm »
Well I've kept up the running. Bit over 100km in February and already at 70 for March. Slightly peeved as  when got home found out was 20 seconds over an 2 hour half although really just building distance for a 100km run/jog/walk/crawl in June

Getting a bit bored with route plans especially now off road is wet making it harder to find safe routes without repeating a lot of roads. Have planned one for around 30km Saturday with just a few bits off off road to bypass country lanes which are unfortunately driven on too fast.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2496 on: 19 March, 2023, 09:23:03 am »
Canal towpaths today - Woking to the Thames and back for a tidy half.  Quicker than any half since this time last year, on a similar route.

« Reply #2497 on: 21 March, 2023, 10:43:38 am »
Sounds like everyone is progressing well and having some decent runs  :thumbsup:

I completed the Hundred Hills 50k in the Chilterns on Saturday in 6hrs 50 which was top end of (realistic) expectations given the 4000' of ascent and spectacularly muddy and slippery.  By comparison I was 5hr 55 on the Round Reading ultra last July on a flattish course with a good deal of tarmac or decent trails.  Given the course anything under 7 hours would have been okay for me.  It was a great race and Centurion are a great race organiser.  Recommended.
Next race, South Downs Way 50 miles on Easter weekend (insert nervous grimace emoji here....)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2498 on: 07 April, 2023, 08:23:59 pm »
Good luck Quisling.  I've got PBP qualifiers coming out of my ears so running will be on the back foot so to speak for the next few months.  Will probably aim for the Beachy Head Marathon again, but will need to see when my autumn term study weekends are before making a commitment.

« Reply #2499 on: 19 April, 2023, 07:55:19 am »
So I've been getting out for training whenever can but April's mad for my family with Easter, holidays, birthdays a d anniversary so slipped a bit. However took day off yesterday and planned a longer run along the flitch way, a old railway track that's now a bridleway.

Ended up doing 43 40 km in just under 5 hours which was very pleased with as a big step up in distance and parts of the path were very muddy.

Legs also aren't too bad this morning