Author Topic: Not long until the Giro d'Italia!!!  (Read 11776 times)

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
Not long until the Giro d'Italia!!!
« on: 04 May, 2011, 04:27:44 pm »
I can't wait to see how this one plays out......what a great classics season so far.

Contador, Nibali, Menchov?

Who's your favorite for the overall win?

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
Re: Not long until the Giro!!!
« Reply #1 on: 05 May, 2011, 05:13:03 pm »
Start list announced.

Hard to bet against Contador, without any inconvenient Schlecks to deal with.  His team doesn't seem particularly strong, though.

Joaquin Rodriguez is bound to do well.
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

« Reply #2 on: 05 May, 2011, 05:21:32 pm »
Looking at the title, I thought this was a thread about being unemployed!

Though not likely in 'Racing' I grant you! :thumbsup:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 05 May, 2011, 06:13:10 pm »
How many are likely to bounced out by ongoing investigations?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Majorbloodnok

« Reply #4 on: 05 May, 2011, 09:24:54 pm »
Start list announced.

Hard to bet against Contador, without any inconvenient Schlecks to deal with.  His team doesn't seem particularly strong

My thoughts too. He only has Levi

Re: Not long until the Giro d'Italia!!!
« Reply #5 on: 06 May, 2011, 10:08:20 am »
To set the scene ....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/V8oh9gy7uvs&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/V8oh9gy7uvs&rel=1</a>

I just found this on youtube. Full length film.

"Considered by many to be the greatest film on cycle racing ever made" it says here.

rr

« Reply #6 on: 07 May, 2011, 10:48:42 am »
is it on TV?

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #7 on: 07 May, 2011, 11:01:18 am »
AFAIK, it's only available on Eurosport, which in the UK is only provided via subscription services.
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #8 on: 07 May, 2011, 01:38:30 pm »
There's variable amounts of coverage here

« Reply #9 on: 08 May, 2011, 12:55:46 am »
AFAIK, it's only available on Eurosport, which in the UK is only provided via subscription services.

I watch the Giro and the TDF online via the Eurosport Player, costs £4 a month and you can unsubcribe anytime.

« Reply #10 on: 08 May, 2011, 01:02:27 am »
I watch the Giro and the TDF online via the Eurosport Player, costs £4 a month and you can unsubcribe anytime.

Is that just online on via TV?

« Reply #11 on: 08 May, 2011, 01:11:02 am »

Is that just online on via TV?

Just online.

What is Eurosport Player?

Eurosport Player is the home of Eurosport TV online. Watch live streaming of Eurosport's channels on your computer.
Subscribing to Eurosport Player offers you unlimited access to Eurosport's channels within the territory you are connecting from.

Watch selected channels live online
    Watch videos on demand at a time that suits you.
    Access from 70 countries.

« Reply #12 on: 08 May, 2011, 01:13:15 am »

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #13 on: 08 May, 2011, 06:40:05 am »
We took out a TV subscription for the first time this year, (cable, Virgin).  After so many decades of being able to follow the big races (other than the Tour) only by still photos it's been fantastic to be able to watch them on telly.  The classics were amazing and I've enjoyed the armchair touring that the stage races have provided (eg. Paris Nice, Tirreno Adriatico, Tour of the Basque Country) but I'm really looking forward to the mountain stages of the Giro.  Some of the reconnaissance photos that have been posted on the internet in recent weeks have looked completely stunning. 

I'm also very much looking forward to - hopefully - a sprint finish to today's stage.
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #14 on: 08 May, 2011, 06:43:35 am »
Eurosport cycle race coverage is the only reason I keep my Sky subscription.   Last years Giro alone was worth the fee!  Reckon Mark Chavendish has a good chance today

Majorbloodnok

« Reply #15 on: 08 May, 2011, 10:57:49 am »
Eurosport cycle race coverage is the only reason I keep my Sky subscription.   Last years Giro alone was worth the fee!  Reckon Mark Chavendish has a good chance today

+1, though the little'uns watch the Kids channels but other than that I just watch the bike racing. I would watch more golf but not paying Sky for anymore (we get our landline, broadband and Sky+ for £41 a month - plenty!!)

« Reply #16 on: 08 May, 2011, 04:19:35 pm »
He'll be pissed about that one  ;D

« Reply #17 on: 08 May, 2011, 05:21:52 pm »
In the old days they'd never've overturned a result against an Itali... oh!!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #18 on: 11 May, 2011, 02:49:36 pm »
There seems to be too much rider-on-rider action today ::-)

gonzo

« Reply #19 on: 17 May, 2011, 05:54:31 pm »
I was really rooting for Scarponi. I became a fan of his back in 2002 and was hoping that he might amount to something this year.

Here's hoping for a top 3 finish!

« Reply #20 on: 17 May, 2011, 07:00:22 pm »

+1, though the little'uns watch the Kids channels but other than that I just watch the bike racing. I would watch more golf but not paying Sky for anymore (we get our landline, broadband and Sky+ for £41 a month - plenty!!)

I cancelled my Sky subscription a few months ago, but have simply paid the £3.99 for this month to watch Eurosport channels online so I can see the Giro. At the end of the 30 days I will just cancel it until I next feel the need to have this channel :)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #21 on: 17 May, 2011, 08:17:27 pm »
Feline, watch it live here here
for free.  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #22 on: 17 May, 2011, 08:33:22 pm »
for free.  :thumbsup:

Thanks, I was initially watching it there, until one day all the available streaming option were with foreign commentary. The Eurosport subscription has the advantage I can watch it at any one of about 4 showings a day, or the highlights, and in HD :)

Majorbloodnok

« Reply #23 on: 19 May, 2011, 07:40:26 am »
Hopefully when you call them to cancel they'll do the usual thing and give a few months free....just enough for the Tour!

« Reply #24 on: 21 May, 2011, 04:53:36 pm »
for free.  :thumbsup:

Thanks, I was initially watching it there, until one day all the available streaming option were with foreign commentary. The Eurosport subscription has the advantage I can watch it at any one of about 4 showings a day, or the highlights, and in HD :)

I took my laptop on a culture and eating holiday to Belgium last month (it became very cultured and quite overweight).

The Eurosport offering was completely different from the UK version, with not much cycling; the hotel TV wasn't showing it, even with about n channels (it's probably on Sporza, but it's a pay-channel); so I had to watch the Tour of Romandie daily on whatever Cyclingfans had to offer, after a good lunch, in either French or Dutch.

All those French holidays and a South African "D" in Afrikaans at the equivalent of O-level stood me in good stead.

The Giro was very exciting today.
The journey is always more important than the destination