Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283823 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #1375 on: 10 September, 2011, 10:02:54 pm »
I loved it. Completely gripped. Decent level of peril and clever story on theme of mortality. I felt it seemed more like proper sci-fi than the usual kids' adventure yarn. Maybe that's why I liked it.

And maybe why wife and son seemed ambivalent.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1376 on: 10 September, 2011, 10:09:04 pm »
I loved it. Completely gripped. Decent level of peril and clever story on theme of mortality. I felt it seemed more like proper sci-fi than the usual kids' adventure yarn. Maybe that's why I liked it.

And maybe why wife and son seemed ambivalent.

d.

+ 1. For me sometimes I feel like I have to get through 45 minutes of Dr Who. This was not like that. I thought that Karen Gillen was wonderful.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #1377 on: 10 September, 2011, 11:16:46 pm »
Yeah that was pretty good. The Guardian Guide mentioned something about the "casual surrealism" of The Prisoner or The Avengers, which had me intrigued. I liked the general idea of the plot but eventually gave up trying to follow the timey-wimey paradox and just went with the ride. Ending got a bit sentimental, but it was saved by a following hint of existential darkness. Or something.

« Reply #1378 on: 11 September, 2011, 11:16:28 pm »
meh.
(click to show/hide)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Billy Weir

« Reply #1379 on: 12 September, 2011, 07:23:31 am »
Agree that Karen gave a good performance.  But she can't do action scenes for toffee.  All the ninja skills of a 12 year old boy mucking around with wrapping paper tubes in his bedroom.

(click to show/hide)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #1380 on: 12 September, 2011, 09:25:57 am »
Agree that Karen gave a good performance.  But she can't do action scenes for toffee.  All the ninja skills of a 12 year old boy mucking around with wrapping paper tubes in his bedroom.

(click to show/hide)

The 'Predator' hair was a good touch.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1381 on: 12 September, 2011, 10:20:53 am »
really really good. OK, so time paradoxes are old-hat (and inherently a bit rubbish, really) , but this one had a new twist at least. And a not-quite-happy ending  :thumbsup:

Lots of good lines, visuals (i liked Rory carrying the comedy huge magnifying glass) and "casual surrealism"*.

"Well it's your marriage..."  :D

(click to show/hide)

*No idea what this is, but it sounds good
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1382 on: 12 September, 2011, 10:59:30 am »
(click to show/hide)

citoyen

« Reply #1383 on: 12 September, 2011, 11:03:58 am »
Good point.

Typical woman. So fickle.  ;)

d.

gonzo

« Reply #1384 on: 12 September, 2011, 05:55:52 pm »
I'm not sure that last one was that great, but I'm just enjoying the fact that Doctor Who has remembered that all the episodes don't need to be part of something bigger.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #1385 on: 12 September, 2011, 06:57:03 pm »
One sodding great hole in the plot: they are in two time lines, moving at different rates. But can talk to each other.

Sorry, spent too long reading real SF...
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

border-rider

« Reply #1386 on: 12 September, 2011, 07:03:40 pm »
Yeah.

Timey-wimey Deus ex machina through-a-glass-darkly tosh. See also Amy's ability to hack & handily reprogramme The Interface and the Tardis's ability to just "lock on" to her.

The plot was so thin it was threadbare.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1387 on: 12 September, 2011, 07:11:01 pm »
One sodding great hole in the plot: they are in two time lines, moving at different rates. But can talk to each other.

Sorry, spent too long reading real SF...
Bollox. "Real SF" ?!? All time travel plots are bollox. :)

What matters is the issues/incidents/dilemmas that the writers hang off them.

That's why Back To The Future is high quality bollox  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

border-rider

« Reply #1388 on: 12 September, 2011, 08:19:29 pm »
No, no, no. It must be self-consistent bollox

red marley

« Reply #1389 on: 12 September, 2011, 09:49:36 pm »
I can tolerate a few holes in the time travel stuff, but I wasn't convinced by Amy's 36 year wait (nor Rory's longer one). There was plenty of scope to imagine what it might really have been like to be alone for 36 years. Apart from losing her sanity, would she even remember much about Rory and the Doctor (I struggle to remember what my eight years old school friends looked like)? They seemed to put all the effort into her makeup instead.

A more convincing "long wait" with a narrative short cut via time travel was in Hitchhiker's Guide with Marvin's wait to the End of the Universe.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #1390 on: 12 September, 2011, 10:01:23 pm »
Yeah.

Timey-wimey Deus ex machina through-a-glass-darkly tosh. See also Amy's ability to hack & handily reprogramme The Interface and the Tardis's ability to just "lock on" to her.

The plot was so thin it was threadbare.

Well, she had 36years to play with; "hack" and "reprogramme' might just come down to 'asking the right questions', questions which simply might not have occurred/possible for intended population.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #1391 on: 12 September, 2011, 11:16:21 pm »
Can't you lot just enjoy it?
There's no vibrations, but wait.

border-rider

« Reply #1392 on: 13 September, 2011, 09:23:25 am »
Yes, and we can enjoy talking about it too  :)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1393 on: 13 September, 2011, 09:57:36 am »

I would agree that self-consistency is what helps the suspension of disbelief, and is generally a Good Thing in SF.

Unfortunately time-travel plots never stand upto any close scrutiny. Which is also one of the arguments against time travel ever working in the real world. e.g. why doesn't anyone invent another DeLorean in the future, come back, and mess up Marty's timeline again? Hmm? etc ...

[Bill and Ted sent all this up beautifully.]

So I choose the sit-back-and-enjoy-it option (mostly).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

border-rider

« Reply #1394 on: 13 September, 2011, 10:22:46 am »
Star Trek NG got this mostly right.  They had proper science consultants, and whilst there was of course plenty of made-up tech they did mostly stick within the laws of physics, respect causality and remain self-consistent.

There's very little else that has taken as intelligent an approach to the problem since.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1395 on: 13 September, 2011, 10:45:35 am »
Star Trek NG got this mostly right.  They had proper science consultants,
... who would insist on taking their vacations together, resulting in the Holodeck Episodes::-)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

citoyen

« Reply #1396 on: 13 September, 2011, 11:53:34 am »
I don't think the "science" is at all important. It doesn't matter that any of it is implausible, that's not what makes it good or bad. The story is everything.

For me, what makes good sci-fi is using that framework to explore the human condition or address moral dilemmas, stuff like that. In this case, facing up to mortality and whether or not you'd choose to sacrifice 36 years of experience to regain your youth.

OK, so having just a 40-minute single episode to work with, you're not going to get much chance to explore that theme in great depth, plus you have to also cram in a bit of being chased by scary robots, but I thought the episode was up there with the likes of The Girl In The Fireplace.

YMMV. I guess it depends what you're looking for.

d.

citoyen

« Reply #1397 on: 13 September, 2011, 11:57:06 am »

I thought this episode did well on that score. OK, so there was the usual rabbit-out-of-the-hat solution, but I thought the story worked well overall.

d.

« Reply #1398 on: 13 September, 2011, 01:17:15 pm »
Yes, and we can enjoy talking about it too  :)

Nicknack has a point though, it's like joining a literary club to better appreciate books only to find all the magic being ripped out  ;D

My yardsticks are the kids, if they've got big grins, or trouble sleeping, then it's a good un
Nuns, no sense of humour

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1399 on: 18 September, 2011, 02:34:17 pm »
Re the Hitler episode:
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

But
(click to show/hide)
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.