Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283766 times)

Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #300 on: 07 July, 2008, 07:41:13 pm »
So, anyway, now that it's all over and done with...does that mean there is a new series of torchwood about to start?

Apparently not, looking around Wikipedia says this.

Quote from:
In a press release in June 2008 the BBC have confirmed that a third series has been commissioned.  This is to be a mini-series of five episodes to be shown over one week, with Peter Bennett as the producer, and Euros Lyn set to direct.  In an interview with Digital Spy, James Marsters hinted he would be back filming for Torchwood.  TV Guide confirms that John Barrowman has signed up for the new series, and it is set to air in spring 2009, with a possibility of more episodes.

Which is a bit of a disappointment. :(
Actually, it is rocket science.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #301 on: 07 July, 2008, 08:14:28 pm »
Spooks usually starts in September/October. That'll do me till Torchwood starts again.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #302 on: 07 July, 2008, 08:18:04 pm »
Spooks usually starts in September/October. That'll do me till Torchwood starts again.

Rapal (Gaelic youth music program), De a-nis? (Gaelic Blue Peter) and Eorpa (Gaelic Surrent Affairs) start again in the autumn.  ;D

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #303 on: 07 July, 2008, 10:50:42 pm »
btw, has anyone translated the German bits in the episode?  I suspect I understand what "Extermineran" means ;D, but what does the German Guardian of the Castle (Valda Aviks) say?  I'm guessing it's various things about not using the Osterhagen Key to destroy the world etc?

From the Beeb site:

DALEKS: Exterminieren! Exterminieren! Halt! Sonst werden wir Sie exterminieren! Sie sind jetzt ein Gefangener der Daleks! Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
Exterminate! Exterminate! Stop! Or you will be exterminated. You are a prisoner of the Daleks. Exterminate! Exterminate!
OLD WOMAN: Hier ist niemand. Was immer Sie wollen, gehen Sie fort. Lassen Sie mich in Ruhe.
There's no one here. Whatever you want, just go away. Leave me alone.

MARTHA: Ich heisse Martha Jones. Ich komme von UNIT. Agentin fuenf sechs sechs sieben eins, von der medizinishen Abteilung.
I'm called Martha Jones. I come from UNIT. Agent 5, 6, 6, 7, 1. Medical officer.

OLD WOMAN: Es hiess Sie kaemen vorbei.
They said you might come.

OLD WOMAN: Sie sind der Albtraum. Nicht die anderen, Sie! Ich sollte Sie umbringen, am besten gleich jetzt!
You are the nightmare. It's not them, it's you! I should kill you right now!

MARTHA: Then do it.
OLD WOMAN: Marta. Zur Hoelle mit Dir.
Martha. You're going straight to Hell.

I was so pleased to find I'd understood the last line correctly.  That German GCSE came in handy after all. :D

« Reply #304 on: 08 July, 2008, 08:45:41 am »
There's a BBC Dr Who website?! :o

Stupid of me, I only looked at IMDB and Wikipedia... :-\

Ta muchly Liz.  About all I understood from my schoolboy German was "Ich heisse Martha Jones. Ich komme von UNIT".

border-rider

« Reply #305 on: 24 July, 2008, 04:17:43 pm »
I half watched the Pompeii episode again this week

hre were some nice hooks into future events: "You have something on your back"

But did anyone else get the Tom Tom Club homage ?

« Reply #306 on: 24 July, 2008, 04:19:55 pm »
I half watched the Pompeii episode again this week

hre were some nice hooks into future events: "You have something on your back"

But did anyone else get the Tom Tom Club homage ?

Funnily enough I watched the previous series last week, and noticed the "something on your back", as well as some other references which I forget now.  Lots of "Bad Wolf" of course, but that's all old hat now!

I haven't a clue what you mean about Tom Tom Club though.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #307 on: 30 August, 2008, 01:00:18 am »
I'm just watching Dr Who from S1 as I've not seen S1, S2 or most of S3. Tis brilliant. Next to watch is Torchwood. I just watched the episode with the Daleks/Human and it was brilliant.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #308 on: 30 August, 2008, 08:44:34 am »
I'm just rewatching the first season of Torchwood.  I've realised that I never saw the first half of the first episode!  The box set was a bargain from Play for £18, but it's gone back up to £42 now.

Some people don't like Torchwood, but I've enjoyed most of the episodes immensely, it's a bit different from Dr Who, since it doesn't seem to rely on the Dr saving the world/universe from invading aliens every week.

« Reply #309 on: 30 August, 2008, 08:52:43 am »
Oh, and there's going to be a special radio edition of Torchwood on Radio 4 on Wednesday week (10th), this'll be part of the Big Bang, when CERN turns on the new Large Hadron Collider (LHC).

It should be interesting to listen to the Today programme, being broadcast live from the LHC control room, when the actual turn on occurs!  Baby Black Holes and The End Of The World As We Know It, anyone? ;D

alchemy

« Reply #310 on: 01 September, 2008, 11:16:45 am »
I've been watching Dr Who for the last few months on a Sunday night and, despite never being a fan in the past, have quite enjoyed it. David Tennant is very engaging and, considering how unbelievably irritating and unfunny she is as a "comedian", Catherine Tate is quite enjoyable as Donna.

But could someone please explain to me what the hell the double episode about the library, the swarm and the little girl was all about...................because I still don't have the faintest idea ??? ??? ???

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #311 on: 12 September, 2008, 05:34:59 am »
Right all done. As is Torchwood. I kinda miss it now :(
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #312 on: 12 September, 2008, 09:54:45 am »
Did you catch the Torchwood episode on Radio 4?  Probably on Listen Again...
Getting there...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #313 on: 12 September, 2008, 11:39:38 am »
Was it any good? I love radio sci-fi (well, mostly).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #314 on: 12 September, 2008, 11:42:09 am »
Damn, I forgot to listen to this when it was on.  It is on Listen Again, I'm listening to it now.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #315 on: 12 September, 2008, 11:44:04 am »
It was...OK.

All right, I'll be honest - someone came into my office with a biiig problem in the middle of it, so I missed a chunk.  But it was the usual exposition-heavy, stylised and slightly camp product you'll be familiar with from the TV.

And, re: sci fi on the radio, did you hear Blake's Seven on BBC7?  Top.  Oh - and the reruns of Earthsearch?  Haven't ever heard that repeated until now.
Getting there...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #316 on: 12 September, 2008, 11:49:52 am »
And, re: sci fi on the radio, did you hear Blake's Seven on BBC7?  Top.  
Yes! I thought it was much better on the radio - I completely forgot about the low-budget effects. Good British stuff.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #317 on: 12 September, 2008, 12:21:08 pm »
And, re: sci fi on the radio, did you hear Blake's Seven on BBC7?  Top.  Oh - and the reruns of Earthsearch?  Haven't ever heard that repeated until now.

Things I didn't know, No 85,621b:

James Follett, who wrote Earthsearch, had written episodes of Blake's Seven.

Interesting, eh?

No?  Well, it is for me...
Getting there...

« Reply #318 on: 12 September, 2008, 12:26:25 pm »
Hmm, the radio version seemed OK, although to be fair I wasn't exclusively listening to it, I was doing other things at the same time (like posting on yacf...)

If you're not in the UK, or keen to get a copy in perpetuity, it's out on CD in a few weeks time.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #319 on: 12 September, 2008, 12:38:11 pm »
Reminded by this, I've just been off on Wikipedia reading up about Blakes* 7.  I'd forgotten how brilliantly ground-breaking it was.

I was so completely a fan.

* No, there isn't an apostrophe.
Getting there...

« Reply #320 on: 12 September, 2008, 12:46:29 pm »
It's a shame that the last episode of Blakes 7 was so pants though...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #321 on: 12 September, 2008, 12:47:42 pm »
Bit cheesy, I'll admit...
Getting there...

« Reply #322 on: 12 September, 2008, 02:48:29 pm »
There was what looked like an outside broadcast unit setting up across from work as I cycled in this morning... As DrW and TW are both filmed round here, perhaps I should take my autograph album* with me when I cycle home.  ;D

* I don't actually have one - honest!  ::-)
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #323 on: 12 September, 2008, 02:50:13 pm »
I have to admit I enjoyed the Dr Who radio shows more than the TV shows, they were broadcast a couple of years ago (and IIRC had one of the Beans as Dr Who and whatserface from 2 pints of lager.. as the assistant)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #324 on: 12 September, 2008, 02:56:05 pm »
Wasn't it Paul McGann as the Dr?  He seems to get left out of listings... >:(
Getting there...