Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283994 times)

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #1500 on: 01 September, 2012, 08:40:06 pm »
Frankly I spent most of that episode being bored. I appreciate the ideas (such as 'I Am Legend' esque-thing going on) but I am sick to death with bloody Daleks.

Great cast for next weeks episode  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1501 on: 01 September, 2012, 09:39:55 pm »
I had my suspicions that something like that was going to happen, ...

(click to show/hide)
Actually, it is rocket science.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #1502 on: 01 September, 2012, 09:43:16 pm »
Isn't Soufflé girl the new companion ?
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #1503 on: 01 September, 2012, 09:46:36 pm »
I reckon they go back for her. They wouldn't let her die...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #1504 on: 01 September, 2012, 09:51:21 pm »
Isn't Soufflé girl the new companion ?

Hmm, she does appear to be, having just done a quick Google on the New Companion.

I wonder how that's going to come about?  They've had companions (and similar) appearing on the show in the past, but have gotten around it with various trickery.

Eve Myles (Gwen in Torchwood) appeared as one of her ancestors in a much earlier Cardiff, and Freema Agyeman played Martha Jones cousin in an early Episode (based around Torchwood London funnily enough!)

I think plausibly bringing her back, is going to require a novel bit of writing.

« Reply #1505 on: 01 September, 2012, 09:53:40 pm »

... but keep her as what?

(click to show/hide)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1506 on: 01 September, 2012, 09:55:47 pm »
(click to show/hide)
It wasn't
(click to show/hide)
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1507 on: 01 September, 2012, 10:00:30 pm »
(click to show/hide)
It wasn't
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #1508 on: 02 September, 2012, 02:14:46 pm »
The trailer for Episode 2, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, is up now, although it looks very similar to the bit at the end of Episode 1.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kWdKU752rK4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/kWdKU752rK4&rel=1</a>

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #1509 on: 02 September, 2012, 08:13:07 pm »
If we're going to have dinosaurs on a spaceship, can we please have a guest appearance by Samuel L?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/amYzBQMT4VI&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/amYzBQMT4VI&rel=1</a>
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
« Reply #1510 on: 02 September, 2012, 09:32:07 pm »

(click to show/hide)

My guess is that the Doctor will take the Tardis back to just after the crash of the 'Alaska' and extract her before she becomes infested with Dalek nanobots.

Genius level assistants (such as souffle girl seems to be) have always posed a scripting problem however  - the main role of assistants are to ask the Doctor clueless questions so he can explain to viewers whats going on / what he's going to do / why he's doing something (OH! and to scream a lot, and to give older male viewers something to oggle). As genius assistants don't need to ask clueless questions, the script has been problematic and hence they've  have been written out pretty fast in the past.

It'll be interesting to see what transpires this time. 

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1511 on: 02 September, 2012, 09:36:10 pm »

(click to show/hide)

My guess is that the Doctor will take the Tardis back to just after the crash of the 'Alaska' and extract her before she becomes infested with Dalek nanobots.

Genius level assistants (such as souffle girl seems to be) have always posed a scripting problem however  - the main role of assistants are to ask the Doctor clueless questions so he can explain to viewers whats going on / what he's going to do / why he's doing something (OH! and to scream a lot, and to give older male viewers something to oggle). As genius assistants don't need to ask clueless questions, the script has been problematic and hence they've  have been written out pretty fast in the past.

It'll be interesting to see what transpires this time. 

That's what they keep Rory for isn't it (except for the oggling bit). It wouldn't be the first time they've written someone out after one episode though.

Oh and TimO. I think, having just watched the Pond Life videos and the first episode back to back, the PL videos might actually run 2,3,4,5,1 :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1512 on: 02 September, 2012, 10:08:32 pm »
I think we should all remember that timey-wimey is all wibbly-wobbly and therefore things might not be as they seem.

Besides, if he does that, then she's not there to help him when the Daleks fire him at the planet, so he and Amy and Rory all die in the asylum.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #1513 on: 02 September, 2012, 10:14:26 pm »
I have heard gossip elsewhere, on somewhat tenuous grounds, but food for thought that:

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #1514 on: 02 September, 2012, 10:28:05 pm »
Well, she'd need some serious plastic surgery along the way (although I guess a regeneration could solve that problem).

(click to show/hide)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1515 on: 03 September, 2012, 12:42:07 pm »
(click to show/hide)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1516 on: 03 September, 2012, 12:55:57 pm »
But, tbh, I find it doesn't pay to go looking too closely for plot holes because it only tends to spoil your enjoyment of it. I thought it was a cracking story and bits of it made me smile with glee
Amen! It's Dr Who (a kids programme with robot dogs and time travel), not flippin John Le Carré!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1517 on: 03 September, 2012, 01:25:01 pm »
Heah, some of the fun is in picking the plot holes to pieces!  If we just sat here and said how great it all was, the thread wouldn't have hit 103 pages!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1518 on: 03 September, 2012, 01:29:16 pm »
Fantastic line from the trailer for next week....

"Dinosaurs.....On a spaceship!"

Surely every young boy's dream Doctor Who episode tv program?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1519 on: 03 September, 2012, 01:35:29 pm »
Fantastic line from the trailer for next week....

"Dinosaurs.....On a spaceship!" ...

It's not just a line, it's the episode's title!

« Reply #1520 on: 03 September, 2012, 01:43:23 pm »
Interesting, there's another prequel to the first Episode, that only seems to have been shown in the US, not over this side of the pond for some reason.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q1r2dQkB1fY&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Q1r2dQkB1fY&rel=1</a>

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1521 on: 03 September, 2012, 02:05:06 pm »
Heah, some of the fun is in picking the plot holes to pieces!  If we just sat here and said how great it all was, the thread wouldn't have hit 103 pages!

Fair point! I just like letting myself get swept along by it though.

And I thought it was a really strong episode overall. I'm very pleased there's going to be no big story arc over this series - they've got a bit bogged down over the last few series with trying to make it bigger and better and even more cataclysmic. They need to get away from that and...

(click to show/hide)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1522 on: 03 September, 2012, 02:09:00 pm »
The Wikipedia entry for "Asylum of the Daleks" says:

... Whether Coleman's later character is the same as Oswin has yet to be confirmed. ...

But people have also pointed out that Moffat had denied that Jenna-Louise Coleman would appear before the Christmas Special, so Moffat, like the Doctor, lies. ;D

It would seem difficult to bring her in as a companion, but ignore her earlier appearance altogether.  Some have suggested that she could either appear as an ancestor of Souffle Girl, or possibly could appear from earlier in her own time line (albeit that then requires her to have forgotten about this somehow, before appearing on the Asylum Planet).

It'll be interesting to see what they do.  I suspect they'll be a bit more imaginative than any of those suggestions, both of which seem a little predictable.

Apparently there were around 25 different types of Dalek in that episode, being extracted from pretty much every previous appearance that they had made over all the preceding series!

« Reply #1523 on: 03 September, 2012, 02:18:16 pm »
Only three and a half minutes long, but worth watching. :thumbsup:

BBC Doctor Who website: Life Cycle of a Dalek

... if you want to experience what a Dalek is like, sit on an office chair and put a dustbin on your head for six hours, and then you've pretty much got it ... and obviously once you've been in there for hours and hours on end, the natural character of hating all of humanity just comes really naturally to you ...

;D

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1524 on: 03 September, 2012, 02:20:12 pm »
It would seem difficult to bring her in as a companion, but ignore her earlier appearance altogether.  Some have suggested that she could either appear as an ancestor of Souffle Girl, or possibly could appear from earlier in her own time line (albeit that then requires her to have forgotten about this somehow, before appearing on the Asylum Planet).

I can see that being easy to script.  In this episode the Doctor says the first thing that goes with the nanobots is the memory of love, and love itself....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State