Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283843 times)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #1525 on: 06 September, 2012, 04:50:35 pm »
Two things: firstly, the setting for the next episode looks remarkably like somewhere I put up on 'Guess the Place'. the cliffs by Dunraven. The little I caught of them on the trailer certainly looks like that stretch of coast.

Secondly, human(ish) servants wrapped in leather harnesses. Why exactly, apart from kinkiness, did the female one have such high heels on?
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

red marley

« Reply #1526 on: 06 September, 2012, 04:57:41 pm »
After 40 years of being an avid Dr Who fan* I've finally come to the realisation that it's a little bit boring and formulaic.

*I remember when I was about 9 sometime in the Jon Pertwee/Tom Baker era, thinking I'm glad my birthday is in the summer otherwise I'd miss Dr Who if I had a Saturday birthday party

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1527 on: 06 September, 2012, 05:44:31 pm »
Was all the "new companion" publicity back in the summer just a big con? Amy is in the trailer for Ep2 that I've heard, and the Doc still hasn't recruited a new one.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1528 on: 06 September, 2012, 05:55:46 pm »
Was all the "new companion" publicity back in the summer just a big con? Amy is in the trailer for Ep2 that I've heard, and the Doc still hasn't recruited a new one.

The new companion isn't supposed to appear until the Christmas special, although no one has quite worked out the relevance, or not, of the actress who will be playing her, appearing in last weeks episode even though it was explicitly stated that she wouldn't appear before the Christmas special. ???
Actually, it is rocket science.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1529 on: 06 September, 2012, 06:10:36 pm »
Ah, thanks. That'll learn me for not reading the small print.

[Actually I tend to glaze over whenever Christmas Specials are mentioned ... ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1530 on: 06 September, 2012, 08:57:04 pm »
I tend to glaze over whenever Christmas Specials are mentioned

Ah yes but the evenings are getting slightly lighter by then....

« Reply #1531 on: 09 September, 2012, 11:52:54 am »
It took me ages to work out who the two robots were! Actually I didn't, my 14yo did in an instant.
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

« Reply #1532 on: 09 September, 2012, 03:51:29 pm »
It took me ages to work out who the two robots were! Actually I didn't, my 14yo did in an instant.

I though the Mitchell and Webb robots were one of the better parts of the episode!

(click to show/hide)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1533 on: 09 September, 2012, 04:55:23 pm »
I though the Mitchell and Webb robots were one of the better parts of the episode!

Definitely
(click to show/hide)
Excellent episode. Nice self-contained story (much of it ripped off from H2G2, but that's no crime ... ), with lots of good gags.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #1534 on: 09 September, 2012, 06:06:38 pm »

Definitely
(click to show/hide)
Excellent episode. Nice self-contained story (much of it ripped off from H2G2, but that's no crime ... ), with lots of good gags.

And a few hefty 2001 references too.  Jolly good fun!
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #1535 on: 09 September, 2012, 07:19:42 pm »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #1536 on: 09 September, 2012, 07:48:24 pm »
Entertainingly silly stuff!

(click to show/hide)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1537 on: 09 September, 2012, 07:53:36 pm »
I was surprised to see Mr Weasley in a TARDIS, although I suppose he has lost his flying Ford Anglia.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1538 on: 09 September, 2012, 09:31:53 pm »
(click to show/hide)
It did seem a bit too much like more traditional stories, where the baddies get knocked off by the goodies.  The Doctor traditionally seems to find more appropriate, and original solutions, which generally don't involve just killing the baddies.

(click to show/hide)
That's also true, although with any dark episode, a certain amount of light relief is essential, but as you say it was a little incongruous.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #1539 on: 10 September, 2012, 01:22:58 pm »
We didn't watch it  :(

Why not?  Because the Windows media player download option ain't available anymore. The only computer we can move to plug a decent screen into couldn't handle playing the HD BBC iPlayer download (which seems incredibly bloated).

anyone have any suggestions?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1540 on: 10 September, 2012, 02:31:16 pm »
Are you sure that's still the case?  Over the weekend, I had problems downloading the normal resolution version using get_iplayer, and had to resort to downloading flashvhigh3, which would play on my netbook, unlike flashvhigh1 which would only playback whilst stuttering a lot (flashvhigh3 is 832×468, which is more tolerable on a netbook than the 1280×720 of flashhigh1.  flashstd (standard) is only 640×360).

They seem to have sorted this out now, and I can download the normal quality version using get_iplayer, so I would imagine it may well work with whatever you're using.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1541 on: 10 September, 2012, 02:50:27 pm »
There are often repeats on BBC3.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1542 on: 10 September, 2012, 02:51:45 pm »
Drop me a PM MrC, if you want a SD copy of it, I have it recorded on my Myth box and could make it accessible to you.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1543 on: 10 September, 2012, 02:53:34 pm »
It's suddenly appeared as available on mobile iplayer, so if all else fails we can play via my phone.

I'll be back in touch if that doesn't work.
ta, chaps
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1544 on: 10 September, 2012, 03:23:44 pm »
I'm pretty sure someone screwed up the upload at the weekend, and presumably the tech support guys who knew how to reconfigure things properly weren't around until this morning.  I've seen similar things happen in the past, and they normally get cleared up fairly rapidly on the morning of the first weekday after they went wrong.

« Reply #1545 on: 11 September, 2012, 10:42:56 am »
Download/PC version still wasn't working last night. Let us download then started complaining about DRM.

So we streamed it using my phone and MHL connection. Wasn't super quality, but not bad at all really, considering it was:
A) streamed
B) same resolution as my screen (but on a 24" TFT)

Smartphones are freaking amazing
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1546 on: 11 September, 2012, 08:48:09 pm »
That's odd, I've managed to watch it "live" on a PC, Sony Bluray player and Xbox, as well as download an mp4 (transcoded from an flv) using get_iplayer, which will then happily play in VLC (and similar).

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1547 on: 15 September, 2012, 08:35:12 pm »
Hmmm...
(click to show/hide)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1548 on: 15 September, 2012, 08:40:28 pm »
I liked the robots. Not being familiar with Mitchell and Webb I thought they were very much tweedledum and tweedledee.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1549 on: 15 September, 2012, 09:39:57 pm »
I quite enjoyed tonight's.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.