Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283821 times)

Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #1550 on: 15 September, 2012, 10:02:12 pm »
Don't like the way he broke one of his rules about killing people (ie don't) though.
Tonights was good but again a solution arrived at by allowing death( suicide in this case)
The moral compass is awry I feel. (And so do my kids)

« Reply #1551 on: 15 September, 2012, 10:14:19 pm »
(click to show/hide)
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1552 on: 17 September, 2012, 03:37:22 pm »
Dr Who has turned into a panto.  >:(
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1553 on: 17 September, 2012, 03:43:54 pm »
Dr Who has turned into a panto.  >:(

Oh no it hasn't. ;D

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1554 on: 22 September, 2012, 11:50:52 pm »
Over three hours and not a comment. The cubes were interesting but the story was a bit meh. There must be an awful lot of extra dimensions out there to hold all the ships orbiting the earth.

ANyway, weeping angels, River Song, and more next week.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1555 on: 23 September, 2012, 07:50:39 am »
OK then - great episode. Plot was far from brilliant, but it was just a background to hang all the jokes and banter off.
(click to show/hide)

The usual mine of classic SF "homages". One that i wasn't sure about was Amy's voiceover introduction, ending in summat like "This is what happened when The Doctor came to stay." It rang a lot of bells, possibly from a kids book I consumed decades ago ...  :-\

The new Lethbridge-Stewart was good, too.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1556 on: 23 September, 2012, 09:51:03 am »
I thought it was very funny, and next week's looks awesome, but I'll be hiding behind my hands because the weeping angels are scary.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #1557 on: 23 September, 2012, 09:58:39 am »
When Dr Who was revived with Ecclestone as the doctor, I thought it showed promise. It had matured from the series I remember as a kid with Ecclestone as the doctor, it was quite dark and more adult.

It has for me now turned into a kids programme with all hope lost :( the fact I can't stand the knobber who plays the doctor doesn't help it any. I was unfortunate enough to watch the entire episode this week, very poor!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #1558 on: 23 September, 2012, 10:48:53 am »
My daughter (13, and so probably the right target audience) was very disappointed with the ending.

(click to show/hide)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #1559 on: 23 September, 2012, 10:59:10 am »
My daughter (13, and so probably the right target audience) was very disappointed with the ending.

(click to show/hide)

Yes - that was a crap ending to the best episode so far of this (admittedly lacklustre) series.

I thought it was very funny, and next week's looks awesome, but I'll be hiding behind my hands because the weeping angels are scary.

Oh yes, ms TC (now a graduate) spent a long time coming to terms with graveyards after the original "Blink"

the fact I can't stand the knobber who plays the doctor doesn't help it any. I was unfortunate enough to watch the entire episode this week, very poor!

I don't dislike him - but he is by far the weakest of the three modern Dr's. He is completely unable to render the Dr's "tortured soul" persona, that Tennant handled with a touch of genius.

« Reply #1560 on: 23 September, 2012, 12:52:15 pm »
That's true, the current Doctor is very good at humour, but can't bring across Tortured Soul at all well, it just doesn't really seem to suit the character.

As others have said, the story was really just a mechanism to hang some mysterious waiting, various nice ideas, and a variety of bad jokes off of.

I particularly liked that one of cubes played the Birdie Song on a loop, clearly intended to torture people. ;D

I guess part of the problem with the current series, is that the stories can potentially be long and complicated enough to require more than one forty five minute show, so requires either a split across two episodes (which I personally find irritating), a longer Christmas Special (or similar), or end up being a bit abbreviated in places.

For this one, they basically removed a lot of the explanation of what was going on, in favour of a very rapid ending, which sort of tidied up many loose ends, although a bit inadequately to my mind.  The Shakri may yet return, in a more concrete form, they seem to be a suitable not actually evil, but powerful race to get up to all sorts of cunning and mysterious things.

Even the title, the Power of Three, seemed a bit contrived, with not much basis in the end.  Not as clever as some of the earlier titles.  Using the Sonic Screwdriver to so trivially solve things was a bit of an over simplistic solution.  The Sonic Screwdriver is a tool with not enough limitations, which is why you generally don't have stuff like that in Science Fiction, because it's too powerful and you're often left asking why it wasn't used this time.  It's limitation against wood is a good example of how they provide a humorous limitation, which has been used to good joke effect in some episodes.  In older series of Doctor Who, they have discontinued the sonic screwdrivers use altogether, because of this plot problem.  Is there a term for this type of plot device?  It's not really a Deus ex Machina, but it has similarities.

It's never really explained why the Shakri used such a half arsed approach, when even we can think of many much easier approaches to solve that particular problem.  It may be novel, and a bit inexplicable, but that alone isn't the basis for a good plot device, it needs some internal consistency and logic.

Still, some good light-hearted moments, and as others have said, the return of a Lethbridge-Stewart, with a good line in banter.  Hopefully she'll also be back (and I'd be surprised if she isn't because this story was clearly partly a way to introduce her to us).

I'd say something like 6½ out of 10.  Not brilliant, not bad, and has some nice features.  The return of the Weeping Angels next week could be very good, but lets hope they don't get too overused, we've had them in several episodes now, and good baddies should be kept to a minimum, least they become a bit of a cliché, and predictable.  Blink was by far the best episode that they've been in, although The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone wasn't half bad.  An appearance by River Song is also rather good, since she always has good lines. :thumbsup:

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #1561 on: 26 September, 2012, 04:01:39 am »
I'm not enjoying this season much :( I'll still watch it of course but it hasn't been anywhere near good enough to keep my attention 100% like the last few seasons.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #1562 on: 29 September, 2012, 08:21:04 pm »
Hmm, I'm not sure that the Angels in this episode worked as well as in their previous occurrences.

The story felt a little contrived, to give them a mechanism to remove Amy and Rory from the storyline permanently, which I guess it has.  Apparently Karen Gillan wanted to be written out for ever, so that there was no risk of bringing her back, and reducing the impact of this episode.

I don't think this will necessarily be an episode that will be remembered as a classic, on the scale of many previous recent episodes (Blink being one of those).  It was OK, but as with last weeks episode, it seemed to have many holes in the plot which weren't explored to any depth.

Oh well, that's it until Christmas, and the new companion.  Over to Dave for a few weeks, to see how the new Red Dwarf turns out.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1563 on: 29 September, 2012, 08:24:37 pm »
I find the weeping angels terrifying, no matter what. And I was crying a bit during that. I love River Song.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1564 on: 29 September, 2012, 08:55:31 pm »
Fittingly, we all watched this after time shifting. Fabulous, really. Just the right level of confusion/understanding to make us all shocked at the finality of it all.

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #1565 on: 29 September, 2012, 09:24:45 pm »
Finally - a happy ending  ;D
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1566 on: 29 September, 2012, 10:10:04 pm »
The suicide pact was quite stunning. But the angels did get them in the end.  River Song - always a classic.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #1567 on: 29 September, 2012, 11:36:52 pm »
I find tat I am over-analysing these series now.

After the Bad Wolf and Saxon "Spoilers" I am looking for hints, clues and plot lines.

For instance when Dr Who preens himself in the polished brass plate before meeting River Song, there is a deliberate and unmistakeable focus on the plate and the writing:

Does it have any relevance.. probably not, but then again ?

« Reply #1568 on: 29 September, 2012, 11:52:14 pm »
I'd forgotten about that.  At the time, I thought it bore some significance, so going back and checking on it was worth doing.

A quick Google doesn't throw up anything obvious as regards Rolls Royce FD 12, but I'm not an expert on such.  Is there a Rolls Royce enthusiast in the house?

As you said, they did seem to deliberately pause on the image of that plate, as though it will have some significance.

Hillbilly

« Reply #1569 on: 30 September, 2012, 06:40:44 am »
Like the rest of the series, I found it had a smack of knowing the destination but not how to get there.  Disappointed. And the  over reliance on US locations smacked of the  Beeb  trying too hard to increase audience  amongst  the armitage  shanks.

« Reply #1570 on: 30 September, 2012, 11:43:08 am »

A quick Google doesn't throw up anything obvious as regards Rolls Royce FD 12, but I'm not an expert on such.  Is there a Rolls Royce enthusiast in the house?

..... someone as sad as me!

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1571 on: 01 October, 2012, 08:51:58 am »
Well, I loved it! I don't really care about gaps in the story or other howlers - although, with 15 minutes to go I was wondering if it was going to be a two-parter as I couldn't see how they were going to get to the end. The double suicide had me in tears, I have to say. Stupid old sod.

« Reply #1572 on: 01 October, 2012, 11:23:56 am »
Didn't watch it until last night.

I liked it; at last, an dilemma that isn't solved by the doctor waving his bloody screwdriver about. Fitting way for Amy to bow out - Rory guessing the solution, Amy to make the hard choice, then again at the end.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1573 on: 01 October, 2012, 03:15:17 pm »
I've increasingly felt that Rory & Amy have been getting in the way - a bit like Rose Tyler did in the end. It's all been getting a bit soapy for my liking. So in that sense, I'm glad they're gone, and that there's no way back for them (although they did find a way to bring Rose back, of course). But it was a good story and a good send-off. Better than the last Weeping Angels story, I reckon, though obviously not in the same league as Blink.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1574 on: 01 October, 2012, 04:40:44 pm »
... I'm glad they're gone, and that there's no way back for them (although they did find a way to bring Rose back, of course). ...

As far as I can see, it would have been trivial to bring them back, although the implication of the afterword that Amy wrote, is that they didn't (so presumably that's intended to close down any possible storyline escape methods).

As I understand it, the Doctor couldn't take the Tardis back to New York in that era, because of the mess that the paradox made etc, but there's presumably nothing to stop him going back to that era in some other part of the world, and using rather more traditional forms of transport to get to New York.