Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283809 times)

Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #1575 on: 02 October, 2012, 02:32:12 pm »
I'd forgotten about that.  At the time, I thought it bore some significance, so going back and checking on it was worth doing.

A quick Google doesn't throw up anything obvious as regards Rolls Royce FD 12, but I'm not an expert on such.  Is there a Rolls Royce enthusiast in the house?

As you said, they did seem to deliberately pause on the image of that plate, as though it will have some significance.
I've seen a thousand plates almost identical to this. They tend to be attached to large item of RN stores (and presumably RAF and Army too). Granted I've seen them with Rolls Royce & Associates (the nuclear arm of the business) rather than Motors.

Nato Stock No is the number by which you order the kit from the Stores Accountants, and I'm almost glad they've left it blank, otherwise the Logistics Branch would be grinding to a halt right now!
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1576 on: 02 October, 2012, 03:03:45 pm »
That's interesting.

I wonder if the fact that it's blank is anything to do with him going around the universe wiping out records of his existence, as per River Song's comment.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1577 on: 02 October, 2012, 07:29:58 pm »
Why is Amy going to die at 87 while Rory died at 82?

What's going to happen to the extra 5 years that she will be in the doom hotel ( they went to school together, I think, and I'm assuming they are the same age)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1578 on: 02 October, 2012, 08:17:26 pm »
Do we know how old they both are? If Amy's 5 years older than Rory, they might die together. If they are the sameish age, then she just lives longer than him, alone in the doom hotel after he dies before her.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1579 on: 02 October, 2012, 09:08:06 pm »
I thought Rory was 2000 years older than Amy, as he'd waited for her.

« Reply #1580 on: 02 October, 2012, 10:44:09 pm »
... Nato Stock No is the number by which you order the kit from the Stores Accountants, and I'm almost glad they've left it blank, otherwise the Logistics Branch would be grinding to a halt right now!

Oh gods, don't mention NATO Stock Numbers.  The microfiche with that on used to be the bane of my life.  Managing to find something on it was always a major achievement, the descriptions of some items was spectacularly bizarre.  I presume all the microfiche has been replaced by some tortuously complex and cumbersome computer system, with a completely useless search facility.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1581 on: 03 October, 2012, 09:38:25 am »
... Nato Stock No is the number by which you order the kit from the Stores Accountants, and I'm almost glad they've left it blank, otherwise the Logistics Branch would be grinding to a halt right now!

Oh gods, don't mention NATO Stock Numbers.  The microfiche with that on used to be the bane of my life.  Managing to find something on it was always a major achievement, the descriptions of some items was spectacularly bizarre.  I presume all the microfiche has been replaced by some tortuously complex and cumbersome computer system, with a completely useless search facility.
Yes. Yes it has. BRd 320+. Same stores descriptions, 350 options for machine screw with no further elaboration in the text.
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #1582 on: 03 October, 2012, 11:57:06 am »
Do we know how old they both are? If Amy's 5 years older than Rory, they might die together. If they are the sameish age, then she just lives longer than him, alone in the doom hotel after he dies before her.

I thought that the doom hotel had been destroyed, and the Angel had just sent them back in the usual way (see Blink) to feed off the time energy. So they would have lived out normal lives, just that the doctor couldn't get to them.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1583 on: 03 October, 2012, 12:07:21 pm »
We have a little gargoyle statue that, since the weekend, has been moving around the garden :o

I think it's my wife trying to mess with my head  ???

« Reply #1584 on: 03 October, 2012, 07:46:20 pm »
We have a little gargoyle statue that, since the weekend, has been moving around the garden :o

A while back, MFWHTBAB and I were in a local hardware/garden shop and in the garden ornament sections there was a range of owls - each is a large cobble/pebble, with the base cut flat, and a face carved into it, with glass eyes set in. One alone would be kind of fun.  Twenty or so, in sizes ranging from a foot tall down to a couple of inches, was a bit freaky. We both looked at them said "Don't blink!"

Since then, we've seen them in a couple of other shops as far afield as Leicester, so nowhere is safe.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1585 on: 31 October, 2012, 06:52:45 pm »
http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2012/10/doctor-whos-ten-most-horrifying-moments/

Gah! The Robots of Death! They terrified me so much when I was little I couldn't even read the book! I couldn't even look at the cover of the book; I had to put it face down where I couldn't see it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1586 on: 18 November, 2012, 10:50:58 am »
The Wikipedia entry for "Asylum of the Daleks" says:

... Whether Coleman's later character is the same as Oswin has yet to be confirmed. ...

But people have also pointed out that Moffat had denied that Jenna-Louise Coleman would appear before the Christmas Special, so Moffat, like the Doctor, lies. ;D

It would seem difficult to bring her in as a companion, but ignore her earlier appearance altogether.  Some have suggested that she could either appear as an ancestor of Souffle Girl, or possibly could appear from earlier in her own time line (albeit that then requires her to have forgotten about this somehow, before appearing on the Asylum Planet).

It'll be interesting to see what they do.  I suspect they'll be a bit more imaginative than any of those suggestions, both of which seem a little predictable. ...!

The trailer for the Christmas special, appears to quite deliberately muddy the waters concerning exactly how the new companion and Soufflé Girl are related.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/L3KVpvEUTns&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/L3KVpvEUTns&rel=1</a>

It certainly looks like it could be a promising episode, some characters returning, and snowmen with teeth! :thumbsup:

This bit (a "minisode") is also quite amusing. ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/G17_B4uACgg&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/G17_B4uACgg&rel=1</a>

« Reply #1587 on: 18 November, 2012, 12:05:11 pm »

... Whether Coleman's later character is the same as Oswin has yet to be confirmed. ...

[/quote]

She is referred to as "Clara" not "Oswyn"

« Reply #1588 on: 18 November, 2012, 01:41:58 pm »
She is referred to as "Clara" not "Oswyn"

She was Oswin (aka Soufflé Girl) in her original appearance, Asylum of the Daleks.

Wether Clara is or is related to Oswin has yet to be made clear.  It may be some even more complex and original explanation.  Previous occurrences of companions, or Torchwood characters, in episodes of Dr Who, have been explained by them being relatives, but that would be a bit of a cop out for this one.

« Reply #1589 on: 18 November, 2012, 01:55:20 pm »

I have a large monk, several grotesques and Green Men around the garden.

Our gardener thinks I am a pagan, and even on Christmas cards refers t me as "the Husband". If I am at home when she comes round, she leaves!

!

« Reply #1590 on: 20 November, 2012, 10:18:09 am »
Thinking about it, wasn't Commander Strax dying in "A Good Man Goes to War" ?

"... It's strange.  I have often dreamed of dying in combat.  I'm not enjoying it as much as I hoped. ...".

... but he didn't actually die on camera, he just looked very ill.

That might make sense if the new episode was earlier in their timeline, but not the Doctor's.  Of course, then he wouldn't have met Madame Vastra and Jenny, so that doesn't work.

Presumably Strax is going to have turned out to have made a miraculous recovery.

« Reply #1591 on: 20 November, 2012, 08:25:58 pm »

Presumably Strax is going to have turned out to have made a miraculous recovery.

Physician, Heal thyself?

« Reply #1592 on: 20 November, 2012, 08:50:28 pm »
Physician, Heal thyself?

Arguably, he's not a physician, only a nurse.  However, a more lax definition of physician than generally used, could encompass a nurse.

I suspect this particular point may be glossed over when the episode airs.  On the scale of things to be resolved, this is probably relatively minor.

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
« Reply #1593 on: 06 December, 2012, 07:39:26 pm »
Jenna Louise Coleman, who plays Clara, the Doctor's new companion, graces the cover of the pre-Christmas Radio Times, and very pretty she looks too. The 3 page article on the Christmas Special is merely a marketing tease needless to say. The only thing that Ms.Coleman says concerning any connection between Oswin (aka Souffle Girl in this parish) and Clara is "the connection is that it's me playing both. I'm not Oswin: I'm a different person who looks and sounds like Oswin". Wait and watch the Christmas Special.

« Reply #1594 on: 12 December, 2012, 05:27:07 pm »
There's a new trailer.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vEJNzJqMtjg&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/vEJNzJqMtjg&rel=1</a>

... with Oswin / Clara snogging the Doctor. :o

« Reply #1595 on: 12 December, 2012, 05:52:13 pm »
She had better watch her step...... I would have thought that having River Song as a "rival" is not a healthy lifestyle choice!

« Reply #1596 on: 12 December, 2012, 05:53:27 pm »
Physician, Heal thyself?

Arguably, he's not a physician, only a nurse.  However, a more lax definition of physician than generally used, could encompass a nurse.

I suspect this particular point may be glossed over when the episode airs.  On the scale of things to be resolved, this is probably relatively minor.

I always saw his role as more like a "Combat Medic"

« Reply #1597 on: 25 December, 2012, 05:57:22 pm »
Oooh, new interior design... for the
(click to show/hide)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1598 on: 25 December, 2012, 07:10:58 pm »
Quite a good episode.
(click to show/hide)

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #1599 on: 26 December, 2012, 12:54:24 am »

(click to show/hide)
Not just me then.
There's no vibrations, but wait.