Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283765 times)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #1600 on: 26 December, 2012, 09:12:29 am »

(click to show/hide)
Not just me then.

Indeed.  The mind boggles!   :o

« Reply #1601 on: 26 December, 2012, 09:36:17 am »
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #1602 on: 26 December, 2012, 11:01:16 am »
Just caught up. Strax and the Memory Worm = top stuff!  :thumbsup:

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1603 on: 26 December, 2012, 02:55:54 pm »
Classic old gags there - you could see it coming a mile off but the delivery was flawless.
Clara was a bit flirty though..
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
« Reply #1604 on: 26 December, 2012, 03:14:20 pm »
Clara (henceforth souffle girl II) came over rather well I thought - nicely assertive and inquisitive; promising companion material.

The thick plottens with souffle girl II as she asked if the Tardis had a kitchen 'cos she likes to make souffles, she had the same middle and family names as souffle girl I, and then the same final words as souffle girl I as well (her death was throughly unexpected in chez gears).

At the end the Doctor was rushing off somewhere / sometime, pursing souffle girl II / I, and we were left with a glimpse of a C21 Jena Louise Colman I (souffle girl III?) at the grave of souffle girl II.

Looking forwrd to so River Song style plot intricacies!

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #1605 on: 26 December, 2012, 08:31:13 pm »
It was quite good, but not as good as some of Steven Moffat's earlier writings.  Quite a few glaring plot holes though.  For instance when Clara fell off the roof, why didn't the Dr simply fire up the Tardis, zoom back in time 15 seconds and go and catch her?
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #1606 on: 27 December, 2012, 01:07:33 am »
I do hope they are not going to kill of soufflé girl in every episode.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1607 on: 27 December, 2012, 01:49:41 am »
It was quite good, but not as good as some of Steven Moffat's earlier writings.  Quite a few glaring plot holes though.  For instance when Clara fell off the roof, why didn't the Dr simply fire up the Tardis, zoom back in time 15 seconds and go and catch her?

Isn't it well established that the TARDIS isn't very good at that sort of thing?

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #1608 on: 27 December, 2012, 02:14:53 am »
The problem with Clara is/was that she completely upstaged the Dr like Mercutio did with Romeo. I had the nagging feeling she would die throughout the episode. Good episode though.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #1609 on: 27 December, 2012, 10:05:08 am »

"Oh my God, they killed soufflé girl!"  :)

« Reply #1610 on: 27 December, 2012, 10:57:27 am »

Clearly she's related to Rory...
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #1611 on: 27 December, 2012, 11:10:57 am »
She seems a little hotter than sidekicks of late. Do you think there might be more baby shenannigans to allow there to be future doctors after this 'last' one of legend?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1612 on: 27 December, 2012, 06:47:56 pm »

I think this is a brilliant idea!  ;D (and younger viewers won't have a clue where the idea was stolen from. Then again, nearly every DW idea is stolen from some ancient SF book/film, so what the heck ... ).

What would also be fun - perhaps just for Xmas Specials - is for each story to involve the Dr at some random time in his many-threaded lives. (A bit like Moorcock's time-and-multiverse-jumping characters.) This would remove the tedious need to tie things up 'properly' (when we all know time-travel cannot work 'properly' anyway), and would give all sorts of odd possibilities:
- Dr turns up with wife and kids,
- Dr turns up fleeing galactic coronation ceremony, having stolen his latest starship [idea may not be original]
- etc ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

a lower gear

« Reply #1613 on: 27 December, 2012, 07:44:15 pm »

I think this is a brilliant idea!  ;D (

A while into the future this thread may be discussing souffle girl XLVIII ... and how she's aged since nos. I to XII :demon:

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #1614 on: 27 December, 2012, 08:03:23 pm »

I think this is a brilliant idea!  ;D (and younger viewers won't have a clue where the idea was stolen from... )

They'll attribute it to South Park?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #1615 on: 27 December, 2012, 08:07:38 pm »
- Dr turns up fleeing galactic coronation ceremony, having stolen his latest starship [idea may not be original]
- etc ...
About time for the Three Doctors again? Eccleston, Tennant, and Smith all turn up and run about a bit!

« Reply #1616 on: 27 December, 2012, 09:52:57 pm »
Isn't it well established that the TARDIS isn't very good at that sort of thing?

Well, he did it a couple of times with River, once falling off a building, and once being shot out into space by an opening airlock.  That's the trouble with this sort of thing, if you use it, you eventually have to come up with a reason why you can't use it, or it becomes too powerful, and can solve every problem, so rather spoils plots!

Overall I think it was a good episode, albeit not as good, or quite as stand-alone as most of the last few Christmas Episodes have been, which is a shame, since that seems more appropriate for the Christmas special.

If they do keep on killing Soufflé Girl off, aside from the repetitiveness, are they going to produce an appropriate explanation, and I wonder what it will be?  Is she some form of lifeform that keeps on reincarnating ie not strictly speaking human, or will there be some more subtle explanation and long term story thread?
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1617 on: 31 December, 2012, 11:08:14 am »
After watching this again, a few thoughts occur.

(click to show/hide)

Of course, none of that is essential to the episode, which works pretty well, even ignoring these minor points.  It think it bodes well for the remainder of the series.

« Reply #1618 on: 31 December, 2012, 12:12:41 pm »
... oh and from the snippets after the episode, there an image of Madame Vastra and Jenny, so clearly they'll be back, and a Sontaran in more traditional Sontaran garb than Strax was wearing, but it could be him.

There's also one shot where's something is throttling a bloke with what looks like a very furry hand, which could be a Yeti, so it's possible that the Great Intelligence could be back in the near future (or possibly killer kittens).

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1619 on: 31 December, 2012, 12:31:12 pm »
I'd say killer kittens.  ;D
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

a lower gear

« Reply #1620 on: 31 December, 2012, 05:46:24 pm »
"Smaller on the inside".

Want to revisit that one?  :smug:

The soufflé reference is barely allowed, since the episode is set in 1892, which is just about the time that the usage of soufflé entered into the English language (sometimes quoted as being at the turn of the 19th century), although it would seem doubtful that a barmaid, regardless of how good her ability to act as a governess was, would be familiar with what would probably have been bleeding edge catering.  .

Interesting point!  ;)

« Reply #1621 on: 31 December, 2012, 08:11:27 pm »
"Smaller on the inside".
Want to revisit that one?  :smug:

Meh, close enough, you know what I meant, and I need to use up my annual allocation of typos.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1622 on: 01 January, 2013, 09:33:33 am »
The soufflé reference is barely allowed, since the episode is set in 1892, which is just about the time that the usage of soufflé entered into the English language (sometimes quoted as being at the turn of the 19th century), although it would seem doubtful that a barmaid, regardless of how good her ability to act as a governess was, would be familiar with what would probably have been bleeding edge catering.  .

Interesting point!  ;)
Who knew that YACF was the home of top-notch investigative journalism? This is a scandal.

The DG should step down immediately for allowing this on our screens.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1623 on: 01 January, 2013, 11:17:46 am »

Interesting point!  ;)
Who knew that YACF was the home of top-notch investigative journalism? This is a scandal.

The DG should step down immediately for allowing this on our screens.

Are you suggesting that the BBC failed to rise to the occasion?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1624 on: 01 January, 2013, 03:39:09 pm »
possibly: there is definitely someone with egg on their face.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------