Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283764 times)

Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #1650 on: 30 March, 2013, 11:53:15 pm »
If Clara had been explaining to a camouflaged hub where the organisation were located, and was uploaded before the Doctor got back, how did he know where they were?

I also wondered about that but assumed the jump cut just skipped the bit where he must have looked at the screen of the laptop to see what Clara had just been looking at.

... or, ...
(click to show/hide)

Here's another one: how did Clara's personality get downloaded back into her body at the end, given that the hub was back at the Shard by then?

They implied (possibly stated outright, but I can't recall), that they had a lot of hubs around, so presumably another one was near enough, or automatically moved to near that location when it was necessary.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1651 on: 31 March, 2013, 12:13:01 am »
My favourite line:

The Doctor: Human souls trapped like flies in the worldwide web... stuck forever... crying out for help...
Clara: Isn't that Twitter?

;D

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #1652 on: 31 March, 2013, 02:30:39 am »
I liked it. I'm also partial to music, it all adds to it. But then I'm not listening through tv speakers so that might play a part.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #1653 on: 31 March, 2013, 07:46:46 am »
Smallest magnoliette: 'the new assistant is very pretty, isn't she?'

Me: 'ummm, well, the doctor certainly seems to think so...'

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #1654 on: 31 March, 2013, 08:27:58 am »
"For the dads" is the term I think.

« Reply #1655 on: 31 March, 2013, 08:47:48 am »
She got the phone number from the women in the shop.
D'you think it'll be Rose who did that as part of the 50th anniversary, 3D, episode/special, with David Tennant and Billie Piper (should've got Chirstopher Ecclestone in to for a three Doctors remake) November 23?

« Reply #1656 on: 04 April, 2013, 10:23:16 pm »
One of the girls at work reckons thatthe "Great Intelligence" dates back 40 odd years to early Patrick Troughton episodes and a quick Google shows her to be right

If so then it is not only the Doctors appearing in this anniversary year!

LEE

« Reply #1657 on: 04 April, 2013, 11:32:10 pm »
Despite my strong feelings that Dr Who is a very good children's program, best watched by children, I watched it again, just to check.

Verdict: It's a very good children's program, best watched by children (in the same way that Harry Potter books/films are good children's books/films).

On that basis I wouldn't, as an adult, get too picky about technical "bloopers" and plot holes.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #1658 on: 05 April, 2013, 09:52:14 am »
I'm with you on that one as well big fella.

I also hear on R4 that Sue MacGregor in her programme Reunion, is reuniting certain people that appeared (or had dealings with) the first Dr Who programme in 1963.

I'm imagining an aged Dalek: "WELL, THAT TAKES ME BACK SUE!"
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #1659 on: 05 April, 2013, 10:24:59 am »
Watched the latest episode last night - enjoyed it.  Funny moments and surprises.  I prefer this kind of single/double episode with 'self contained' story; albeit with some continuing thread e.g. villain.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1660 on: 05 April, 2013, 12:33:10 pm »
I also hear on R4 that Sue MacGregor in her programme Reunion, is reuniting certain people that appeared (or had dealings with) the first Dr Who programme in 1963.

I'm imagining an aged Dalek: "WELL, THAT TAKES ME BACK SUE!"
;D

- "And I guess you're all good friends now, all these years on?"
- " EXTERMINATE THE DOCTORRRR "
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #1661 on: 06 April, 2013, 10:47:37 pm »
Well, it was pish this week. Started promisingly enough with the Mos Eisley Cantina setup, then there was too much singing, religious overtones and defeating of pumpkin-faced star-gods by shouting and a leaf. And the continuity in the space-moped scenes was at about the level of a primary school Christmas play.

LEE

« Reply #1662 on: 06 April, 2013, 10:54:58 pm »
Well, it was pish this week. Started promisingly enough with the Mos Eisley Cantina setup, then there was too much singing, religious overtones and defeating of pumpkin-faced star-gods by shouting and a leaf. And the continuity in the space-moped scenes was at about the level of a primary school Christmas play.

Remember....it's for kids, then it all makes sense.

« Reply #1663 on: 06 April, 2013, 11:47:59 pm »
mini ao (11) described it as a 'filler' episode.  Mark Gatiss story next week.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #1664 on: 07 April, 2013, 12:11:42 am »

That's how I've approached it over the last couple of years. 45 minutes of "don't think too hard" enjoyment. But still, this week's was poor. I'm a fan of Mark Gatiss, so I'm looking forward to next week.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1665 on: 07 April, 2013, 12:16:51 am »

That's how I've approached it over the last couple of years. 45 minutes of "don't think too hard" enjoyment. But still, this week's was poor. I'm a fan of Mark Gatiss, so I'm looking forward to next week.

I'm with you both there. Tonight's episode had so much promise but the happy-feely singing was too much (and I bloody love singing). Bring on Gatiss.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1666 on: 07 April, 2013, 08:01:50 am »
Really crap. Total waste of my licence fee :P.

It better pick up again next week ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

essexian

« Reply #1667 on: 07 April, 2013, 08:08:59 am »
........... And the continuity in the space-moped scenes....................

"Flash i love you but we only have 14 hours to save the Earth............"

Well I thought it was quite good. They spent a bit of SF although not much on the mopeds which were terrible!

« Reply #1668 on: 07 April, 2013, 08:56:41 am »
Yes, the episode was a bit "Meh", the nasty alien as a god is a very heavily used meme in SF, and they didn't even use it terribly originally or well.  The "solution" was vague and wishy washy, being more an excuse to let them throw in some stuff relating to Clara's childhood, and how much she loved her mother.  Bring back Donna Noble (who I really liked), and her irascible mother, who I didn't like much as a character, but was probably more realistic of many people's relationship with their parents.

It wasn't a bad episode, but it quite clearly wasn't up there at the top either.  Many of the characters were very flat, and lacked any attempt to flesh them out, probably because there were lots of relatively minor ones.  The Vigil had good potential as baddies, but defeated by the Doctor rather easily in the end.

6/10 I'd say.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1669 on: 07 April, 2013, 09:08:02 am »
Yup a bit weak episode. Saw it on a different and older TV where we really struggled to hear what was said. It made keeping up so very hard and if there was any good one liners we don't know.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #1670 on: 07 April, 2013, 09:13:50 am »
... and if there was any good one liners we don't know.

How about this one? ;D

Clara: Woof.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1671 on: 07 April, 2013, 09:26:50 am »
Oh yes that one. I wonder if that is the new Catwoman/Michelle Pfeiffer moment :-)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #1672 on: 07 April, 2013, 09:56:20 am »
It reminded me of the 2nd episode of series 1 'end of the world', when all manner of alien peoples gathered to watch the sun etc, except the one on Sat. wasn't as good IMO.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #1673 on: 07 April, 2013, 11:40:44 am »
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TalkingTheMonsterToDeath

Though I did like the idea of the Long Song and there were teases that the whole thing was acoustic tech to contain in, which never made it to fullness; they'd have given it a Lost Tech Ritual Purposes cleverness.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #1674 on: 07 April, 2013, 01:20:54 pm »
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TalkingTheMonsterToDeath

Though I did like the idea of the Long Song and there were teases that the whole thing was acoustic tech to contain in, which never made it to fullness; they'd have given it a Lost Tech Ritual Purposes cleverness.

Yes, good point.  I'm never any good at finding the TV Tropes, there are too many, and all too often they have clever names which makes them hard to find.

The apparent use of sonic weapons by the Vigil, and the opening of the door using a song, does led credibility to the argument that the Choristers are using some sort of acoustically based technology to control the Old God and Grandfather.

I had a hunt for a TV Trope relating to old technology being mistaken or forgotten about, and being viewed as a mystical magic or religion (pretty much the same thing, just with different names), but couldn't find one, although I'm sure it's there somewhere.

It would have made for a slightly more complete storyline, if they'd played that card, and it would only have taken a brief mention by the Doctor alluding to the technology to do it, so it's a shame they didn't, but some authors prefer the mystery of such actually being magic or religion, rather than rationalising it as lost science and technology.