Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283766 times)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #1700 on: 14 April, 2013, 06:25:53 am »
I'm in the 'meh' camp.  Criminal underuse of David Warner (who would make an awesome Doctor Who - he's even got the right initials!)

This was a much more fun thing I saw recently with DW in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDCWEq4BZgo&feature=youtu.be

Flynn

• Fred Killah
« Reply #1701 on: 14 April, 2013, 07:51:13 am »
I enjoyed that. Haven't seen the Ice Warriors since my favourite Doctor, Patrick Troughton. That time they were in the tunnels of the London Underground. I wonder if this series will reintroduce the Great Intelligence and it's Yeti guardians?
ap·a·thy  (p-th)
n.
1. Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #1702 on: 14 April, 2013, 08:04:55 am »
I enjoyed that. Haven't seen the Ice Warriors since my favourite Doctor, Patrick Troughton. That time they were in the tunnels of the London Underground. I wonder if this series will reintroduce the Great Intelligence and it's Yeti guardians?

The Great Intelligence has already been referenced this series, last week I think (or the week before, can't remember as I watched them back to back on catch-up).

« Reply #1703 on: 14 April, 2013, 10:06:41 am »
The Great Intelligence has already been referenced this series, last week I think (or the week before, can't remember as I watched them back to back on catch-up).

The Great Intelligence was brought back in the Christmas Special, and then again the week before last, with the first episode of this half of the series, which is also the episode immediately following the Christmas Special.

Given that they've brought the Great Intelligence back, I'd be surprised if we don't see the Yetis at some point, although from the brief descriptions that we know of the remainder of this series, none of those episodes seem to obviously have Yetis in them (or the Great Intelligence either), but I guess we'll find this all out eventually.  They may just be planning a longer game, and these characters may not do anything significant to the longer term plotlines until the next series.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1704 on: 14 April, 2013, 10:35:32 am »
I was really bored during that episode.

The TARDIS's translation capabilities have been part of it forever. How else do you think the Doctor manages to talk to all the aliens? They don't all speak English. Plus, Rose had it explained to her about one episode after she joined the Doctor.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1705 on: 14 April, 2013, 03:30:01 pm »
I was really bored during that episode.

The TARDIS's translation capabilities have been part of it forever. How else do you think the Doctor manages to talk to all the aliens? They don't all speak English. Plus, Rose had it explained to her about one episode after she joined the Doctor.

Me too - I kept losing concentration which is a sure sign of boredom for me. The David Warner bits were fun, loved his performance in Hornblower

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1706 on: 14 April, 2013, 05:50:52 pm »
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1707 on: 14 April, 2013, 06:08:11 pm »
Awesome Bad Wolf theories about Rose and Clara http://who-lligan.tumblr.com/post/47304596201/the-bad-wolfed-clara-theory

Whilst that may explain some features, it doesn't explain why her final words are identical, just as she dies.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1708 on: 14 April, 2013, 10:25:12 pm »
Good episode. Quite a few original ideas
(click to show/hide)
REALLY pleased by the reduction in background music :) (But it was in a submarine - if you don't have quite a lot of silence in a sub movie you should be banned from making anything ever again.)

[Clara's best look yet - the buttoned up too big naval jacket. Sigh.]

I'm in the 'meh' camp.  Criminal underuse of David Warner (who would make an awesome Doctor Who - he's even got the right initials!)

This was a much more fun thing I saw recently with DW in:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kDCWEq4BZgo&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/kDCWEq4BZgo&rel=1</a>
That's a good vid, and Warner was great; but he was a supporting character, they could hardly have given him much more to do without him taking over (he was rather good!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1709 on: 15 April, 2013, 12:18:32 am »
REALLY pleased by the reduction in background music

Are you joking? For about the first five minutes, I couldn't make out a word they were saying. Had to have the subtitles on. It did quieten down noticeably after that though.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1710 on: 15 April, 2013, 01:18:40 am »
Least convincing submarine set since Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1711 on: 15 April, 2013, 01:20:15 am »
Are you joking? For about the first five minutes, I couldn't make out a word they were saying. Had to have the subtitles on. It did quieten down noticeably after that though.

The subtitles set the tone quite well in the opening scene with "RADAR pings", I thought...   :facepalm:

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #1712 on: 15 April, 2013, 06:35:46 am »

Don't remember them being in the Tube. Yetis and cobwebs, yes...
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1713 on: 15 April, 2013, 11:38:25 am »

The subtitles set the tone quite well in the opening scene with "RADAR pings", I thought...   :facepalm:

"Metallic thrumming" was my favourite.  ;D
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1714 on: 15 April, 2013, 01:30:01 pm »

Apparently so, according to the Wikipedia entry on The Web of Fear, which was broadcast back when my age was barely single digit, so I don't have any memories of it.

Interestingly that was also one of the first episodes to have UNIT and Lethbridge-Stewart in it, both of which have recently also been reintroduced, albeit with the Brigadiers daughter, rather than him, since he died (both in the Dr Who universe, and the actor in the real universe).

« Reply #1715 on: 15 April, 2013, 05:20:17 pm »
I haven't managed to watch it yet. Was there a big red valve that the Doctor/Captain/XO shut to stop the water/steam/radiation? If so, it can't be that bad. All submarines are fitted with them!
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1716 on: 15 April, 2013, 05:33:41 pm »
REALLY pleased by the reduction in background music

Joking? How dare you! Excessive background music is a very serious business.

I had the same problem as you during the shouty-floody-we're-all-going-to-drown scene - but the music wasn't the issue then. And I think you exaggerate - the few minutes before that were fine too.

After the water+shouting scene it was fine. Your Hearing May Vary. :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #1717 on: 16 April, 2013, 02:25:00 am »

Apparently so, according to the Wikipedia entry on The Web of Fear, which was broadcast back when my age was barely single digit, so I don't have any memories of it.

Interestingly that was also one of the first episodes to have UNIT and Lethbridge-Stewart in it, both of which have recently also been reintroduced, albeit with the Brigadiers daughter, rather than him, since he died (both in the Dr Who universe, and the actor in the real universe).

I meant the Ice Warriors.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #1718 on: 16 April, 2013, 08:37:21 am »
Dr Who is fiction.

That said, it could serve as the perfect vehicle to prepare Earthlings for Disclosure.

« Reply #1719 on: 16 April, 2013, 08:41:22 am »
I haven't managed to watch it yet. Was there a big red valve that the Doctor/Captain/XO shut to stop the water/steam/radiation? If so, it can't be that bad. All submarines are fitted with them!
No lots of big wide open corridors. Two keys and a big red button.

« Reply #1720 on: 16 April, 2013, 09:09:22 am »
Also, big hollow walls that the alien could hide in.

I don't know anything about submarines, but I figure space is at too much of a premium to have hollow walls. On the plus side, Brutus from Rome was there.  :)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Flynn

• Fred Killah
« Reply #1721 on: 16 April, 2013, 09:33:39 am »

Possibly, it's been forty years or so, so my memory may be patchy.
ap·a·thy  (p-th)
n.
1. Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1722 on: 16 April, 2013, 09:50:11 am »

I don't know anything about submarines, but I figure space is at too much of a premium to have hollow walls.

Yes, that the the most spacious submarine I've ever seen.

On the plus side, Brutus from Rome was there.  :)

So that's where I recognised him from!
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1723 on: 16 April, 2013, 09:55:13 pm »

I don't know anything about submarines, but I figure space is at too much of a premium to have hollow walls. On the plus side, Brutus from Rome was there.  :)
If you had room for a hollow wall or a big empty deckhead to hide in, some bugger would have fitted lockers there! I did enjoy spotting the Bad Wolf references.
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1724 on: 20 April, 2013, 02:29:19 pm »
BEEP will you stop it !!! This week show is on at 1845 last week show was on at 1800, I don't fancy playing the lottery when watching the telly. (sorry this should be in the rant part of this forum)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit