Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283765 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #1725 on: 21 April, 2013, 12:32:30 am »
So, are we all just too completely awestruck with how brilliant that episode was to say anything?

It pretty much had everything. I was mostly terrified but also laughed out loud occasionally ("Ignorance is Carlisle"). Nice-clever-happy ending too. Superb.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1726 on: 21 April, 2013, 08:26:11 am »
Tell you after we've watched it tonight. Looking forward to it now!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1727 on: 21 April, 2013, 09:38:00 am »
Yup that was a real Doctor Who, just as you thought it was safe to crawl out from behind the sofa - boo! Spooky and funny at the same time, had Peli mum jumping a few times too. :-)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #1728 on: 21 April, 2013, 02:01:07 pm »
I thought it was a good episode, as Woolly says with both the horror and the funnies that a good episode often has.

There were definitely some good phrases used:

Prof: Doctor What?
 Doctor: If you like.

Doctor: Ignorance is Carlisle.

Clara: Sharks are quite eaty.

The whole spiel with the Tardis' Voice Visual Interface, especially her "Whooa" when she first see's "herself".  That almost makes up for referring to Whisky as the 11th most disgusting thing ever invented.  Heresy!

The colouring of the episode was interesting.  Clearly it often had to be dark, to allow for the mystery and occasionally spooky item in the background, but there was also often a very brown tinge to things, and with the background colouring, it all made for a very, possibly slightly clichéd (deliberately I imagine) seventies feel.  Neat.

I did have a few minor quibbles however.

(click to show/hide)

Still, aside from those minor points, it was very good and I enjoyed it immensely.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Flynn

• Fred Killah
« Reply #1729 on: 21 April, 2013, 02:16:08 pm »
I actually found it quite dull this week.
ap·a·thy  (p-th)
n.
1. Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.

« Reply #1730 on: 21 April, 2013, 02:22:00 pm »
It had monsters, spookiness, a complicated scientific explanation for an apparent parapsychological event, the Tardis doing stuff, various silly quotes, plausibly good special effects, and some (admittedly probably slight) implications for the whole Clara story.  What more could you ask for?

Flynn

• Fred Killah
« Reply #1731 on: 21 April, 2013, 03:14:29 pm »
Ghostly goings on in a large old house sorted out by the Doctor. Seen that several times since Dr Who returned to TV.
ap·a·thy  (p-th)
n.
1. Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1732 on: 21 April, 2013, 03:45:05 pm »
Tim you do know that this is only a TV program :) :) :)

LEE

« Reply #1733 on: 21 April, 2013, 05:01:15 pm »
Tim you do know that this is only a kids' TV program :) :) :)

FTFY

« Reply #1734 on: 21 April, 2013, 05:16:52 pm »
Ghostly goings on in a large old house sorted out by the Doctor. Seen that several times since Dr Who returned to TV.
I'm not sure that's true.  In "Tooth and Claw", "The Unicorn and the Wasp" and "The Lodger" it could be said they had some elements of that description, but it wasn't really fundamental to the story, and the basic storyline could have been placed in other locations as easily (actually that's mostly true of this storyline as well).  Arguably one of the few where it's more significant was "Blink", but that was also quite different from this one.  Inevitably old buildings as locations are necessary sometimes, as are spaceships, exotic modern looking buildings and many other locations.  I'd hardly say it was common in the returned series, or overused.  In fact, most of the episodes I just mentioned have had a very good reception.

Tim you do know that this is only a TV program :) :) :)
Yep, I did say they were minor quibbles, otherwise I would have supplied a detailed list of the issues. ;D

« Reply #1735 on: 21 April, 2013, 06:02:52 pm »
I think it was brilliant. But I think TimO's list of minor quibbles was even more brilliant.  ;D

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1736 on: 21 April, 2013, 10:29:47 pm »
It's so repetitive, isn't it? I do hope next week's doesn't involve aliens. Or time travel. Or peril...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LEE

« Reply #1737 on: 21 April, 2013, 11:28:16 pm »
It's so repetitive, isn't it? I do hope next week's doesn't involve aliens. Or time travel. Or peril...

I bet you any money there's a Police phone box and an eccentric "Doctor" in it.

Note.  It was recently pointed out that, originally, a Police Phone box was chosen as the Tardis because it would blend in, unnoticed, and that it would stand out like a sore....err...Tardis nowadays.

The obvious choice nowadays would be a Potalooo.

My family are tired of me saying "Oh look, Dr Who has crash-landed" every time we drive past a Portaloo (but now you will start saying it as well.....a meme I hope)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1738 on: 22 April, 2013, 12:00:06 am »
The obvious choice nowadays would be a Potalooo.

I'm fairly sure that the chameleon circuit was temporarily repaired at one point, and it indeed assumed that form.  I'm not a Doctor Who nerd though, so I couldn't tell you in what story.  Maybe it was an urban myth.  Or fanfic.

My family are tired of me saying "Oh look, Dr Who has crash-landed" every time we drive past a Portaloo (but now you will start saying it as well.....a meme I hope)

I occasionally see http://www.tardishire.co.uk/ lorries driving portaloos around.  I'm glad that somebody formed that company, so I don't have to.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #1739 on: 22 April, 2013, 04:12:54 pm »
The bit with Clara going on about "The entire life cycle of Earth ... and you're OK with that? ...  We're all ghosts to you, we must be nothing ..."

Hmm, so the doctor pops into the Tardis to go and take some photos, and comes back in a couple of minutes with a collection taken at points across a billion years.

Here's a question. How long had he been away, subjectively, from the Doctor's view point. Well, even if he had known exactly when and wher eto go to get the photos the process and travelling and running in and out of the tardis, setting up the photos, etc. would have taken a couple of hours. But maybe it took him a couple of weeks, a couple of months or years even. Maybe he went off and did a whole load of other things, watched galaxies be born and die, etc, and just kept clara bubbling away as a sort of long term project to return to when he CBA. Maybe he's got a whole bunch of Claras on the go. Not too difficult when you've got a Tardis. He's a Timelord, after all...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1740 on: 22 April, 2013, 05:06:24 pm »
Yeah doing that episode he was very accurate with time and location to gather all these photographs. Normally he is slightly off with time and location, just look at Pond he was around 20 years off with her. 

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1741 on: 27 April, 2013, 10:15:59 pm »
I can't decide if tonight's was really good or a horrible mishmash.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1742 on: 27 April, 2013, 11:12:42 pm »
Yeah doing that episode he was very accurate with time and location to gather all these photographs. Normally he is slightly off with time and location, just look at Pond he was around 20 years off with her.
I can barely forgive him for getting his timing wrong in The Girl in the Fireplace. Sophia Myles would have made a brilliant companion. And a bonus 'for the Dads' ...
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1743 on: 28 April, 2013, 02:10:30 am »
I can't decide if tonight's was really good or a horrible mishmash.

I'm thinking 'both'

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1744 on: 28 April, 2013, 07:28:34 am »
A horrible mish-mash of really good bits. About 30 mins of 'wow', then an increasing sense that nothing really had any point ... frustrating.

[I vote for the 'android brother' business as the Most Pointless Subplot. But there are a few candidates :( ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1745 on: 28 April, 2013, 10:05:26 am »
It is a bit annoying how on multiple occasions the Doctor does seem to be able to arrive with a sub-second accuracy, and then on others, barely able to get the century correct.  When he caught River using the Tardis' swimming pool in "Day of the Moon" he needed to arrive on time, and River was probably being overly optimistic that he'd get it right, especially given he low opinion of his ability to drive the Tardis!

On the other hand, in "The Doctor's Wife", we have the following brief exchange:

Doctor: ... I just want to say, you know you have never been very reliable.
 Idris/Tardis: And you have?
 Doctor: You didn't always take me where I wanted to go.
 Idris/Tardis: No, but I always took you where you needed to go.
 Doctor: You did.

Which implies that on at least some of these occasions, it's not the Doctor's poor steering, it's the Tardis deliberately taking him to the "correct" place, presumably because it (she?) can see loosely enough into the future to know where to go.  Maybe it has "defocused temporal perception", like Douglas Adams' lifts, it's certainly insane eccentric enough. ;D

I'm also a bit unsure about tonight's episode.  I found some of the subplot elements about the brothers a little irritating, and could have done without it, and I'm not sure about the zombies, and how reasonable that seems within the context of the excuse for their existence.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1746 on: 29 April, 2013, 08:47:14 pm »
Yup a "don't think too much episode" but some nice running down the corridors, somewhat spooky but lacking the laughter.

Hillbilly

« Reply #1747 on: 29 April, 2013, 09:50:40 pm »
And rubber suited men running around pretending to be monsters.  Very old school.

It was the first episode on iPlayer that I didn't skip some of, which makes it not so much a good episode as just not infuriatingly tedious.  This series has been pish so far  :'(

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
« Reply #1748 on: 29 April, 2013, 10:00:02 pm »
It had some good ideas and some well-executed parts. My carp is why the monsters, which were the part-melted / burning-up future versions of the protagonists were so desperate to kill their own selves from slightly in their past? Maybe an exposition of why this was so was one of the bits that was lost in poor editing. I know its only a childrens' series but such a major plot facet as why the monsters were hell-bent on killing their past selves must have been thought through.

Some good bits from Clara though and intriguing discussion on the 'cliff edge' that presumably will be reflected later in the series as her relationship to souffle girl and the governess/barmaid incarnations will be revealed.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #1749 on: 29 April, 2013, 10:24:24 pm »
Some good bits from Clara though and intriguing discussion on the 'cliff edge' that presumably will be reflected later in the series as her relationship to souffle girl and the governess/barmaid incarnations will be revealed.

Yes, I'm wondering about next weeks episode. As they all saw her die when she was the governess, what will they say to her?