Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283819 times)

Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #1775 on: 05 May, 2013, 09:10:57 am »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

... Although it will be interesting to see how the Cybermen weave into next weeks plot, they are becoming a bit over egged.....

Presumably because there are a lot of Cybermen in the universe, like the Daleks, they get absolutely everywhere.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1776 on: 05 May, 2013, 09:42:36 am »
... It hadn't occurred to me, that Jenny in her catsuit, which we've seen before in A Good Man Goes to War, was a nod to Diana Rigg and The Avengers, ...

Well, I got that wrong.  In A Good Man Goes to War she was wearing clothing apparently from the period of her presumed origin, albeit trousers that I imagine a woman of that era wouldn't be expected to be wearing in public.

However, she does wear the catsuit (or something very similar) in The Snowmen.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1777 on: 05 May, 2013, 10:47:07 am »
I think the Doctor alludes to Tegan Jovanka, when he talks about getting a gobby Australian to Heathrow Airport, although her appearances were mostly before my time, and I don't really recognise her.
Yes, I thought that was her and I thought it was a nice touch, although I didn't particularly like Tegan.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1778 on: 05 May, 2013, 11:11:11 am »
After a quick Google around, interestingly Mark Gatiss appeared at one of the BFI's Dr Who 50th Anniversary events with Janet Fielding (aka Tegan Jovanka).

BFI hosts Doctor Who at 50 event

« Reply #1779 on: 05 May, 2013, 01:00:32 pm »
A fantastic episode! I think Sweetville was clearly based on Saltaire. Look at the names, for example: Mr Sweet vs Titus Salt. And Titus Salt had a daughter called Ada (he named the streets of Saltaire after his eleven children).

I'm sure there are other clues linking the two which I've not yet spotted.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1780 on: 05 May, 2013, 01:08:04 pm »
We had to replay the "Tomas Tomas" bit again cause the rest of the household didn't get it at the same time as me and therefore couldn't hear* the next bit.

*) been told that my laughter is a wee bit loud at times :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #1781 on: 05 May, 2013, 02:09:58 pm »
... Mr Sweet vs Titus Salt. And Titus Salt had a daughter called Ada ...

Doh, why didn't I see the Salt vs Sweet bit.

I can't say I know much about Titus Salt, aside from him building Saltaire, so wasn't aware that he had a daughter Ada.  I still think that it was also partially a tip to Ada Lovelace and the Analytical Machine, but obviously combined with Ada Salt.

« Reply #1782 on: 05 May, 2013, 02:12:30 pm »
You're probably right, Tim.

We very recently walked along Ada Street (and Fanny Street, and Caroline Street...) as we were considering buying a place in Saltaire.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1783 on: 05 May, 2013, 06:05:23 pm »
Our PVR missed the first seconds of the show ... so it seemed that the Doctor took 14mins to appear.

If so, this must be a record. Can anyone confirm?

I thought last nights episode was quite enjoyable!

(click to show/hide)

That sums it up for me too.

It wasn't a classic - but had tons of good stuff in it. There was something ... missing from the plot/pacing, it didn't really grab me, and the 'de-redding' was irritating. Minor quibbles, probably the best so far this series  :thumbsup:

[I admit I didn't spot the Tom joke.]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1784 on: 05 May, 2013, 06:08:56 pm »
Yup He was not seen for a long while, except in a photograph of the victim eyes.

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1785 on: 05 May, 2013, 08:22:25 pm »
How long was it before he 'appeared' in Blink?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #1786 on: 05 May, 2013, 08:26:39 pm »
I have finally got the Thomas Thomas gag  :facepalm:  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #1787 on: 05 May, 2013, 08:36:26 pm »
Vastra, Jenny and Strax need a spin-off series.  Pleasepleaseplease with scissor grenades on top.

I still can't get over Diana Rigg cackling "Do you know what these are, Doctor? The wrong hands!"

And Mr Sweet is going to be the darling of the cosplay circuit.  :)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
« Reply #1788 on: 05 May, 2013, 10:51:07 pm »
Vastra, Jenny and Strax need a spin-off series.  Pleasepleaseplease with scissor grenades on top.

Intriguing thought! But maybe too steampunk niche for the Beeb?

I still can't get over Diana Rigg cackling "Do you know what these are, Doctor? The wrong hands!"

I expected it to lead to a wrong trousers visual or script reference - but maybe the all-rivetted rocket was the conection to Wallace?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1789 on: 06 May, 2013, 07:24:25 am »

Oh wow, I forgot that - top line! (and it's one of those jokes that has you wondering - how come noone's said that before???)

[2nd confession - I didn't even recognise Madam Rigg. So of course the link to catsuits also went over my head ... must watch Mark Gatiss episodes sober in future ...  :facepalm: ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1790 on: 06 May, 2013, 02:43:01 pm »

Oh wow, I forgot that - top line! (and it's one of those jokes that has you wondering - how come noone's said that before???)

Yes, absolutely. Great line. It occurred to me that Mark Gatiss had let himself off the leash for this one and was writing it more like a League of Gentlemen episode than compared to his previous efforts on Doctor Who.

Beautifully delivered by Dame Diana. Such an amazingly charismatic actress. That part might have been a lot more cheesy in lesser hands.

I can't believe I didn't get the Salt/Sweet joke - though I recognised the obvious similarity to Saltaire. Tbh, I thought the name "Sweet" might be more of a hint at Bournville than Saltaire.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1791 on: 06 May, 2013, 06:25:06 pm »
I think it's referencing both.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1792 on: 06 May, 2013, 08:07:16 pm »
Yes, Sweet as an (almost) antonym of Salt, and as a adjective describing Bournville Chocolate makes for a double reference, similarly to Ada relating to both Ada Lovelace (and Mrs Gillyflower's "baby" Analytical Machine) and Ada Salt.

I think they made a deliberate effort to go all out on this episode, so lots of clever allusions, Diana Rigg, and the triplet of Vastra, Jenny and Strax, all of which were likely to make for a good episode, since it was apparently the one hundredth episode of the revived Doctor Who series.

I wonder what else we've missed, that may yet become apparent?

« Reply #1793 on: 07 May, 2013, 12:53:08 am »

[2nd confession - I didn't even recognise Madam Rigg. So of course the link to catsuits also went over my head ... must watch Mark Gatiss episodes sober in future ...  :facepalm: ]
My first thought was that it was Pete Postlethwaite in drag (until I quickly realised it couldn't be!)
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1794 on: 07 May, 2013, 12:57:01 am »
That was a delightfully silly episode, marred only by the lack of comments on the rocket science in this thread.   ;D

« Reply #1795 on: 07 May, 2013, 09:24:44 am »
That was a delightfully silly episode, marred only by the lack of comments on the rocket science in this thread.   ;D

Well, there's not a lot you can say about that.  The technology of that era wouldn't have allowed them to build such a boilerplate vehicle that actually worked, but I assumed that it was either based on information from Mr Sweet (is he sentient, or is that just Mrs Gillyflower's fancy?) or Mrs Gillyflower's genius.

The only point you can really argue is whether you'd survive the vehicle actually going up the "chimney" whilst standing on that staircase, and with anything remotely like our current technological development, I'd say not.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1796 on: 07 May, 2013, 12:01:55 pm »
Turns out Thomas Thomas was played by my colleague's little brother. That's a very cool little brother.

Apparently, there was a good gag about eating horses that was cut from the final edit.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Flynn

• Fred Killah
« Reply #1797 on: 07 May, 2013, 12:32:51 pm »

Well, there's not a lot you can say about that.  The technology of that era wouldn't have allowed them to build such a boilerplate vehicle that actually worked, but I assumed that it was either based on information from Mr Sweet (is he sentient, or is that just Mrs Gillyflower's fancy?) or Mrs Gillyflower's genius.

The only point you can really argue is whether you'd survive the vehicle actually going up the "chimney" whilst standing on that staircase, and with anything remotely like our current technological development, I'd say not.

It's Dr Who. Not a documentary.
ap·a·thy  (p-th)
n.
1. Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1798 on: 07 May, 2013, 12:57:27 pm »
It's Dr Who. Not a documentary.

Well yes, but I like a *bit* of science in my science fiction.  I can accept that some alien technology or sufficiently clever engineering could just about make rocket designed to explode at altitude with Victorian materials, but not that the exhaust wouldn't be deadly at close range.

It's about consistency.  They debunked and then handwaved optography earlier in the episode.  The preservation processes were left to unexplained alien tech - that's allowed.  That you can quickly and usefully jibble pretty much any technology at a ridiculously low level with a sonic screwdriver is canon.  If the red goo had had some sort of antigravity property that they'd used to power the rocket, that would have been fine.  But the rocket was clearly Jules Verne style engineering, with a hot and probably toxic exhaust - at least a bit of duck & cover seems justified.

« Reply #1799 on: 07 May, 2013, 02:18:05 pm »
Only saw this last night and I found it delightful from the word go. With all the references flying around I was faintly disappointed not to faintly hear the shade of Kenneth Williams calling out 'Frying tonight' as the bodies were lowered into the red gloop.