Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283764 times)

hillbilly

Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #1950 on: 25 November, 2013, 04:20:26 pm »
Star Wars is a children's film.  And Harry Potter is a children's book.

Lots of adults enjoy those.

The difficulty I have with Russell T Davis and Stephen Moffat is that they are writing for an audience they believe lack any attention span and simply want to be entertained rather than challenged.  It's in tune with the times in that regard.  British TV is a poor environment to develop big ideas over an extended period.  All the more so when the aim is to maximise audience share and worlwide reach.

The coming Who will be interesting.  I can't see teenage girls swooning over such a character.  And the dynamic with the companion will change (less romantic undertones in these days of Yew Tree).  And he is less likely to flap around the set like a loon. Although the reset means that the darker Who I was hoping for is less likely, as he won't be driven by remorse.

Anyhoo, it is only a TV show....

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1951 on: 25 November, 2013, 04:36:08 pm »
Star Wars is a children's film.  And Harry Potter is a children's book.

Lots of adults enjoy those.

<bites tongue>

I like Doctor Who. I think it's mostly great children's TV but I thought that particular episode was poor. There's nothing wrong with liking children's TV qua children's TV. I still think it should be on at teatime, not at what will actually be bedtime for a large part of its supposed target audience.

There's a kid's TV series called Yonderland currently showing at 6.30 on Sunday evenings on Sky1. Superb entertainment for kids of all ages, and on telly at an appropriate time. Listen and learn, Moffat.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hillbilly

« Reply #1952 on: 28 November, 2013, 03:20:38 pm »
Inspired by recent Doctor Who themed shenanigans, I've started to revisit parts of my childhood that have long been forgotten, if they were even memories in the first place.  I've started to watch pre-2005 episodes of the series (I used to watch occasionally when I was younger, in the early 80s, but wouldn't pretend to be particularly interested in it.  Yes, we used to pretend we were daleks, but didn't everyone at some point?)

First out of the box was "City of Death", which is the one where Number 4 (Tom, luvvy) and his companion, Romana (Tom's lover), run around Paris (adds nothing to the script, but allows them to show that they were actually there and not simply relying on stock footage) seeking to thwart a dastardly count ("o" importnant - this is a kid's show, apparently) plotting to pilfer the Mona Lisa as part of a more profound plan that is sprinkled throughout time (carefully avoiding spoilers???)  It has aged remarkably well, with a solid script (written by Douglas Adams), a satisfying sci-fi twist, and good pacing.

Next up: "The Talons of Weng Chiang".  Looks like Doctor Who as Holmes. 

Jelly baby?

citoyen

« Reply #1953 on: 28 November, 2013, 05:18:50 pm »
First out of the box was "City of Death", which is the one where Number 4 (Tom, luvvy) and his companion, Romana (Tom's lover), run around Paris (adds nothing to the script, but allows them to show that they were actually there and not simply relying on stock footage) seeking to thwart a dastardly count ("o" importnant - this is a kid's show, apparently) plotting to pilfer the Mona Lisa as part of a more profound plan that is sprinkled throughout time (carefully avoiding spoilers???)  It has aged remarkably well, with a solid script (written by Douglas Adams), a satisfying sci-fi twist, and good pacing.

I definitely remember that one - it gave me nightmares. (It is the one with the bloke with the slimy green seaweed head, isn't it?)

hillbilly

« Reply #1954 on: 28 November, 2013, 05:55:10 pm »
It is indeed.  Scaroth, last of the Jagaroth.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #1955 on: 28 November, 2013, 10:15:27 pm »
I really liked it, though yes it wasn't the perfect episode but then it's Dr Who init.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #1956 on: 01 December, 2013, 09:02:30 pm »
Hmm I don't know if I should mention this or not but since Sunday I have watched every episode of Dr Who since the reboot including some of the 50th specials docs.

Should I be concerned? That's over 100 hours :S
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1957 on: 01 December, 2013, 09:04:01 pm »
No not at all :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

hillbilly

« Reply #1958 on: 17 December, 2013, 04:12:32 pm »
Spoilered just in case anyone doesn't know what is lined up for the Xmas episode and is trying to avoid details.

(click to show/hide)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #1959 on: 21 December, 2013, 05:43:35 pm »
It's all about this:

http://youtu.be/q3bGYljQ5Uw

Support Equilibrium

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1960 on: 21 December, 2013, 05:46:01 pm »
And remember chaps it is Wednesday not Saturday, don't want you to miss out.

« Reply #1961 on: 25 December, 2013, 08:36:52 pm »
Not a classic...
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1962 on: 25 December, 2013, 08:51:46 pm »
Agreed - especially as it's a Christmas special.
(click to show/hide)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1963 on: 25 December, 2013, 09:39:59 pm »
What a load of shite.

All the important stuff covered in the first 90 seconds, and the rest didn't add anything.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1964 on: 25 December, 2013, 10:11:36 pm »
A piece of Stephen Moffat self indulgent stuff[1] that seemed to have no plot, no tension, and really left me wondering whether he had completely run out of ideas. I can't admit to giving it a decent appraisal as it was so boring I fell asleep.

[1] for want of a better word
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1965 on: 25 December, 2013, 10:14:44 pm »
It didn't so much tie up the loose ends as tug them into an irreversible tangle.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1966 on: 25 December, 2013, 10:28:35 pm »
Yup that was not impressive, prolly the worst I have seen in a long time, bit of a damp squib.  I was hoping for more with the new Doc.

« Reply #1967 on: 25 December, 2013, 10:59:33 pm »
mini ao,  'that was terrible'.  No so good, but at least the Matt Smith era has drawn to a close.  Just hope for some good single/two part story episode writing for the new Dr.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

hillbilly

« Reply #1968 on: 25 December, 2013, 11:25:09 pm »
Not what I was expecting. 

It started off promising enough, but soon after he arrived on the planet, the story shed the momentum it had built up over the series.  The second half felt increasingly awkward and confused.  It lacked a palpable sense of tension and menace.  This was meant to be him facing his fall, and the  mixed blessing of a regeneration into the Jocktor.  But it lacked the epic conclusion the story arc had suggested was in prospect (especially in the Name of the Doctor).  A fumble by the show runner, after a couple of strong episodes.

spindrift

« Reply #1969 on: 26 December, 2013, 12:38:12 am »
That was shit.

citoyen

« Reply #1970 on: 26 December, 2013, 01:44:47 pm »
Disappointing.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1971 on: 26 December, 2013, 02:37:03 pm »
Very disappointed at the end of the episode.
(click to show/hide)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #1972 on: 26 December, 2013, 04:40:42 pm »
You're all a bunch of miserable bastards, I thought it was great.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1973 on: 26 December, 2013, 04:49:06 pm »
A pile of pointless wibble. Only barely worth watching for the usual 2 decent minutes (i.e. Matt Smith's wonderous quips, and Clara's wonderous skirts).

Instead of trying to have the most epic episode ever - with every major baddie (even if they only got 50 seconds e.g. Weeping Angels), a parallel universe, knowing references to umpteen earlier episodes, pointless massive battles between creatures unable to shoot straight, yet-another uber-religion, and a not-very-interesting old flame - I'd have preferred an old-fashioned whimsical CHRISTMASSY special. With an actual non-epic story. That made some sense.

With perhaps 5-10 minutes of regeneration sad farewell stuff, just to tick the boxes.

Bah! And Humbug.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1974 on: 26 December, 2013, 07:04:30 pm »
I will say, Matt Smith was on good form, even if the plot wasn't.