Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283772 times)

Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #2025 on: 07 September, 2014, 10:56:12 am »
I found this weekend's episode to be a bit "meh".  It was OK, but the whole robots in a spacecraft, who whilst advanced enough to walk around fighting and so forth, couldn't work out that their whole scheme was going to end badly.  That was a pretty bad storyline issue.  In general they didn't really explain much, and what was explained was excessively implausible.  The Robin Hood bit was however quite amusing, if a little strained at time.

I like Capaldi as the Doctor, we've gone away from the sexy Doctor, and a stream of "will they, or won't they?" concerning him and his female companions, towards some more interesting questions about who the Doctor is, and how he thinks.  So far it's not been brilliant, but there is always a bit of a slow start with a new Doctor, and not every episode can be outstanding.  I'm happy enough with the series so far.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2026 on: 07 September, 2014, 11:30:57 am »
I think all the episodes so far have been gash. Peter Capaldi is great, but they're giving him crap material.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #2027 on: 07 September, 2014, 12:04:30 pm »
I only saw the second half last night, but I found it just a little bit too demanding of my powers of suspending disbelief! It's surely difficult to devise a science-fiction comedy drama plot that doesn't have huge holes in it, but I'm sure they can do better than that one! I love the pseudo-historical episodes, but please, please give a half-way credible enemy.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #2028 on: 07 September, 2014, 12:52:30 pm »
It was mildly amusing at times, but mainly dreck.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Si

« Reply #2029 on: 07 September, 2014, 05:43:02 pm »
I think all the episodes so far have been gash. Peter Capaldi is great, but they're giving him crap material.

Yup, it's all going a bit Sylvester McCoy....expecting to see the Bertie Bassett monster back soon.

« Reply #2030 on: 07 September, 2014, 09:34:34 pm »
... It's surely difficult to devise a science-fiction comedy drama plot that doesn't have huge holes in it, but I'm sure they can do better than that one! ...

That was the big issue with the episode.  Admittedly, in the short time available it can be difficult to flesh out the entire story, but the baddies in this one were vague and excessively stupid to the point of ridiculousness.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2031 on: 08 September, 2014, 07:43:51 pm »
It was all about Robin Hood!!! The robots were totally 2ry.

Can't we just have some whimsical pseudohistoric tomfoolery -with a grumpy Doc and a swooning Clara - without people banging on about
CONVINCING time-travel and aliens based story-lines :facepalm:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2032 on: 08 September, 2014, 07:56:37 pm »
I don't care about convincing. I just want the stories not to be shit.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #2033 on: 08 September, 2014, 08:04:11 pm »
After the last  idiot doctor, I was hoping things would improve. I like Capaldi so was expecting a better series.

I watched him in the first episode acting like the previous cock doctor, after less than a minute I turned it off. I won't be watching it again, it's shite.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #2034 on: 09 September, 2014, 11:00:14 am »
 :thumbsup:
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2035 on: 09 September, 2014, 11:19:32 am »
more interesting questions about who the Doctor is, and how he thinks.

I find all the existential angst stuff rather dull, tbh, although admittedly not as dull as the will-they-won't-they nonsense. I'd rather they just concentrated on the stories - that's when Doctor Who is at its best. And make the stories more standalone rather than have them be part of some end-of-the-universe gubbins. I've found lots to enjoy in the current series so far, and I think Capaldi is a great Doctor, but I find myself not giving a toss who "Missy" might be (just as long as she doesn't turn out to be River Song).

I don't care about convincing. I just want the stories not to be shit.

This.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #2036 on: 14 September, 2014, 01:44:16 pm »
I'm spending my Sunday afternoon watching Earthshock on Watch. Nice to be reminded of when Doctor Who was good. Rudimentary costumes and effects but a proper story.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2037 on: 15 September, 2014, 03:48:40 am »
Now that was a great episode. Plenty of suspense and even the doctor was scared. Had a good flow all the way through the thing.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

citoyen

« Reply #2038 on: 15 September, 2014, 08:58:59 am »
The ending spoiled it for me. The Doctor's childhood is an uninteresting irrelevance.

I really enjoyed watching Earthshock yesterday. It didn't make me cry like it did when I was nine, but I wouldn't say I was entirely unaffected by the ending either. What it proves is that there's plenty of scope for a personality driven story without being dull - it's all about the Doctor's relationship with Adric, but set within the framework of a proper adventure plot with a strong narrative structure. Ok, so the sets and costumes are cheap, and some of the dialogue is a bit ropey, but I can see why the 9yo me found it so gripping. Plus it has Beryl Reid in it. Beryl Reid! Aces.

Also, I don't think I realised as a 9yo quite how hot Janet Fielding is (was). But perhaps that's because they didn't keep banging on about it like they do with the lovely Jenna.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2039 on: 15 September, 2014, 01:07:22 pm »
Now that was a great episode. Plenty of suspense and even the doctor was scared. Had a good flow all the way through the thing.

Agreed.

The plot seems to have got jibbled about in editing, judging by the discrepancy between the audio and subtitles...

(click to show/hide)

The Doctor's childhood is uninteresting, but the idea that the whole thing might just be a timey-wimey self-fulfilling figment of his imagination is a reasonable idea, even if it's not particularly original.  They didn't need to dwell on it so much.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2040 on: 15 September, 2014, 06:03:59 pm »
You want an "original" time-travel storyline? good luck!

I've said it before; Marty and Doc covered pretty much all the permutations.
(And StarTrek TNG did them all to death. Repeatedly!)

Anyway, we loved this one. Proper, atmospheric, standalone story, with plenty of snappy quips from both sides.
:likes:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2041 on: 15 September, 2014, 06:09:25 pm »
You want an "original" time-travel storyline? good luck!

They may exist, but probably not on BBC 1.

I've no problem whatsoever with Doctor Who re-hashing old SF ideas.  They often make for good stories, and the target audience probably won't have read the originals.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2042 on: 15 September, 2014, 06:54:24 pm »
I've no problem whatsoever with Doctor Who re-hashing old SF ideas.  They often make for good stories, and the target audience probably won't have read the originals.
Yup - if a film reuses  a Shakespeare plot the critics all swoon!

It's about the way you tell 'em. The "ankle grab" moment was exquisite.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2043 on: 15 September, 2014, 08:04:27 pm »
Just caught up with "Listen" on iPlayer!

:thumbsup:

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #2044 on: 15 September, 2014, 09:24:09 pm »
Yup - if a film reuses  a Shakespeare plot the critics all swoon!

It's about the way you tell 'em. The "ankle grab" moment was exquisite.

Years ago, there was one of those "Tales from the Unknown" style programmes in which a young woman rented a room. Atmospheric creepiness was superb, especially with the understairs cupboard that she kept shutting and then finding open again, and the bit where she swings her legs off the floor and onto the bed just as something underneath grabs for her ankles...

Good creepiness in the Who, but there was no resolution. The ending of the old programme I describe was utter toss, and the resolution of the DW episode was, well, it wasn't a resolution. It was a series of well-done creepies put together with no credible explanation.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2045 on: 20 September, 2014, 04:43:50 pm »
The reviews are luke-warm , but tonight's show looks like looking good:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #2046 on: 21 September, 2014, 06:21:22 pm »
I quite enjoyed last nights show, more so than the previous one.  I thought it had some nice features, and was quite good fun, with little of the slightly odd back story that we're waiting to be resolved.

I actually quite liked the characters, and the storyline, and it actually surprised me in places. :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2047 on: 21 September, 2014, 06:27:41 pm »
I was disappointed that it lacked the line "You're only supposed to sonic the bloody doors off!"

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2048 on: 21 September, 2014, 09:00:28 pm »
I quite enjoyed last nights show, more so than the previous one.  I thought it had some nice features, and was quite good fun, with little of the slightly odd back story that we're waiting to be resolved.

I actually quite liked the characters, and the storyline, and it actually surprised me in places. :)

It was a good episode indeed!

(click to show/hide)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2049 on: 21 September, 2014, 09:10:36 pm »
That was a good episode, that Peter fella is becoming a good DocDoc.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit