Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283875 times)

Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #2100 on: 09 November, 2014, 07:06:37 pm »
Was it just me or where the "tributes" to Gerry and Sylvia Anderson a nice feature?

« Reply #2101 on: 09 November, 2014, 07:41:30 pm »
....... and they owe me a new keyboard for the "Mary Poppins " descent!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2102 on: 09 November, 2014, 10:24:01 pm »
I can't tell you what I thought of it because I didn't have a clue what was going on. My wife bailed out after ten minutes, saying "I'm too old for this." I stuck with it to the end but I don't really know why. Maybe in a vain bid to prove I'm not too old for this.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2103 on: 09 November, 2014, 10:51:31 pm »
I thought it was one of the more straightforward plots.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #2104 on: 10 November, 2014, 08:41:35 pm »
After all the build up, I found it rather dull, not sure if I would be watching it again.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #2105 on: 12 November, 2014, 02:55:36 am »
I think Michelle Gomez made that one. Her lunacy was a delight, especially when, on being asked about the logic of her plot, she just raised her eyebrows and said "Bananas!"
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2106 on: 12 November, 2014, 06:59:23 am »
Worth watching for Gomez alone. Plus a lot of good gags-n-references from various characters. PC is still solid, but not amazing; he could easily improve as he gets into it.

Storyline? Pffft. None of the recent writers understand SF or thrillers, so we get these bizarre kids stories pretending to be something grander, and they never really fit together at al well.

But that's not important, it's still very good fun most weeks.  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2107 on: 12 November, 2014, 07:39:06 am »
Missy aka Gomez was/is one of the best villains we have had in a long time, a right old nutter. She is brilliant at that, laughed much at her character in Green Wing. I hope the writers find a way to bring her back. PC is a good as a doctor, but need a much better side kick and better story lines. The last two doctors first season had episodes I wanted to re-watch right away, this season is lacking, but I will probably watch them again at a later stage.

I wonder how Nick Frost will do as Mister HoHoHo.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2108 on: 15 November, 2014, 01:24:52 pm »
ooohh Missy will be back in season 9 :)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2109 on: 26 December, 2014, 09:37:45 am »
Spiffing.

The best Xmas special I can remember,  and the best episode in quite a long time generally!

(And I have no idea why so many people are accusing Moffat of stealing all the ideas, oh no sirree ... )

The Wrong Mans was pretty good too - i think they may be able to keep that going for a few years yet.  /OT
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2110 on: 26 December, 2014, 11:06:08 am »
I enjoyed that a lot. Nick Frost was good. Some nice lines - especially for the elves. I really don't care if some of the ideas were, ahem, borrowed from elsewhere - originality is overrated anyway.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2111 on: 26 December, 2014, 11:20:05 am »
Originality is practically impossible.

We all liked it here.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2112 on: 26 December, 2014, 01:28:18 pm »
(click to show/hide)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2113 on: 26 December, 2014, 04:57:33 pm »
Jolly good show, I liked that they kudos'ed the movie they copied. The odd funny joke. Nick is good.  But the sad news is that we have to endure her in the next season. Can't they write her out like they hinted in a few episodes in the season just gone.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2114 on: 26 December, 2014, 05:12:23 pm »
(click to show/hide)
Like the spinning top in Inception.. Or was it just a tangerine that nobody liked at Christmas. (I like tangerines. But I am from the weird side fo the tracks that liked school, eats vegetables and thinks maths is fun)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2115 on: 26 December, 2014, 05:14:03 pm »
Jolly good show, I liked that they kudos'ed the movie they copied. The odd funny joke. Nick is good.  But the sad news is that we have to endure her in the next season. Can't they write her out like they hinted in a few episodes in the season just gone.
I imagine they were just keeping their options open during contract negotiations. Now the money has been sorted out, you're stuck with her for another year!

I really don't find Coleman any worse than your average companion/assistant. But I do think they have all had too big  a role in the"story arcs" in recent years. But then I do not like story arcs much anyway! I blame the X-files - sf was proper SF before then ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #2116 on: 26 December, 2014, 08:21:52 pm »
Danish television keeps improving. I've just enjoyed the Christmas episode.
I reminded me of a Dr Who version of
(click to show/hide)
but  liked it.

Earlier today the broadcasted the very first episode "An Unearthly Child" from 1963.
I must admit it have improved quite a bit since  :thumbsup:

spindrift

« Reply #2117 on: 26 December, 2014, 10:39:55 pm »

Did anyone else spot the Doctor Who reference in BBC One’s ‘The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm’?

http://doctorwho247.tumblr.com/post/106084252179/imagine-that-a-police-box-that-you-could-travel

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2118 on: 26 December, 2014, 11:00:07 pm »
As references go, it made Inspector Spacetime look subtle.

« Reply #2119 on: 27 December, 2014, 01:00:09 pm »
As references go, it made Inspector Spacetime look subtle.

Yes, they really didn't need the sound effects and imagery, but I guess it was a programme targeted at children even more than Dr Who, so subtlety possibly wasn't entirely appropriate.

I liked this Christmas episode.  The story wasn't up to much, but the comedy elves and Santa more than made up for that. :)
Actually, it is rocket science.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2120 on: 30 December, 2014, 08:51:56 pm »
Just watched it. Thought it was a load of old toss.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #2121 on: 01 January, 2015, 05:17:41 pm »
Just watched it. Thought it was a load of old toss.

At least it is not just me that thought this.

hillbilly

« Reply #2122 on: 18 January, 2015, 10:34:55 pm »
I'm currently exploring the Eighth Doctor's audio timeline.  Big Audio have season 1 for download at £2.99 a pop.

They are great.  Paul McGann nails the role and the stories are properly engaging.  The tone isn't out of place with the post-2005 show.

(The audio range also allows Colin Baker to shine.  He is a top actor, and highkights what a waste of promise his 80s tenure was).

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2123 on: 10 July, 2015, 08:49:14 pm »
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

hillbilly

« Reply #2124 on: 14 July, 2015, 11:26:06 am »
Trying to remain reasonably spoiler free, within reason. I was a bit disappointed last year when the Dark Water reveal showed a certain silver nemesis as the bad guy.

But the countdown to season 2 of capaldi's tenure is definitely on.  This should be his best season, as most character development should happen in this one.  Fingers crossed.

(Currently dipping in and out of Peter Davison's time in the TARDIS.  There are some very good serials in that run.  Watching the visitation at the moment.  Whilst the low budget pokes through on occasion, it is one where they begged borrowed and stole costumes and props from the historical drama units.  So is quite well presented)