Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283828 times)

Si

Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #2150 on: 06 October, 2015, 01:52:28 pm »
Twas much better.  Apart from the sonic glasses.  What next? Sonic hearing aids?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

hillbilly

« Reply #2152 on: 06 October, 2015, 07:21:18 pm »
Someone has pointed out that Capaldi's costume is the regeneration one.  If you want his "regular" one, you need to buy Lego Dimensions.  I don't think I'll go that far but, yessir, this combines two of my big child likes (Who and Lego).  Already decided I am getting two: one for building and one for hoarding.

:-[

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2153 on: 10 October, 2015, 09:54:40 pm »
And a demonstration tonight of why time travel doesn't work... Nice brain twisting to start with.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2154 on: 12 October, 2015, 01:49:45 pm »
Limping Chicken has an interview with Sophie Stone about the recent episode...

http://limpingchicken.com/2015/10/09/chicken-chat-sophie-stone-tells-the-chicken-about-her-starring-role-in-dr-who/

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2155 on: 12 October, 2015, 10:56:14 pm »
Vikings with horns arrgghh come on at least this once get it right.

Oh yes this last episode, nice spooky cuts etc just like horror and other scary things should be. But sadly it never really gripped me. I know he survives in every episode, but other episodes got me there where I have the feeling that this really could be the end of Who and people of earth. This season just lack this last bit.

Drums fingers and await the next side kick to come and kick some Doctor butt and hopefully one who can act and the writers can dig thier teeth into and get this going again, I want my pillow back again.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2156 on: 12 October, 2015, 11:09:44 pm »
Oh yes this last episode, nice spooky cuts etc just like horror and other scary things should be. But sadly it never really gripped me. I know he survives in every episode, but other episodes got me there where I have the feeling that this really could be the end of Who and people of earth.

The episode started with a lecture about the bootstrap paradox:  The suspense wasn't whether he was going to die, but how he was going to live.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2157 on: 12 October, 2015, 11:16:35 pm »
Or maybe it is you who has grown less sensitised and more critical of the acting and scripts with age? Looking back with rose tinted glasses at the stories that were great - but how would they appear now? I think there have been two truly great Dr Who episodes in the modern era.
Blink, and The Empty Child.

All the rest are also ran ore rerun derivative.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2158 on: 12 October, 2015, 11:26:45 pm »
I have re watched the first five years at least twice in the new run. That feeling has been there more than once and I still have that childishly giddy feeling when I sat down to re-watch one.

And I agree with you Blink and the Empty Child are epic, stroke of genius. Just say "are you my mommy?" or "don't Blink" in our house hold sends shivers. That said it is not just the spooky behind the sofa , I like the silliness, links to other things, Si-Fi etc that makes a good Doctor Who.

Just felt that this season has just lacked the little bit extra, I have enjoyed them, mind.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #2159 on: 14 October, 2015, 05:11:07 am »
Anyone else think the corporate drone in the first of the two parts was a direct rip-off from Aliens?
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #2160 on: 14 October, 2015, 09:11:37 am »
Anyone else think the corporate drone in the first of the two parts was a direct rip-off from Aliens?

Not really, unless the Aliens character was the very first to do it.  That particular character is quite the cliche, and seemed a little bit unnecessary, other than giving them a another different "standard" character to inhabit the environment.

I guess they needed a number of characters, whose primary function was to die, and move that part of the story along somewhat.
Actually, it is rocket science.

red marley

« Reply #2161 on: 17 October, 2015, 04:56:47 pm »
I thought the two flood episodes were rather good. The bootstrap paradox talk and the electric guitar Beethoven / Dr Who theme (Judas!) set the tone nicely. This was the first time I can remember a bit of 4th wall shattering, but it seems it has precedents.

And are they consciously reverting to slightly cheap looking studio sets in reference to older episodes? Makes a change from overly CGId green screen performances.

« Reply #2162 on: 18 October, 2015, 10:31:31 am »
Hmm, interesting.  I'm not sure how much I liked that episode, but it'll be interesting to see where it goes with the next episode.

(click to show/hide)

hillbilly

« Reply #2163 on: 18 October, 2015, 03:27:20 pm »
I was a bit bored by the first half, which felt a bit generic and lacked any threat or urgency, but the second half had some great moments.  The closing shot, with Miss Williams standing as time passed, was one of the best I can remember in Doctor Who.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2164 on: 18 October, 2015, 09:10:27 pm »
I loved the Doctor's definition of immortality (though I think it's been used before).

Also,
(click to show/hide)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

hillbilly

« Reply #2165 on: 18 October, 2015, 09:47:57 pm »
That speech reminded me of Highlander.  Although Capaldi sounded more Scottish than Christopher wot sit.  Mind you, so did Spanish Sean Connery.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2166 on: 18 October, 2015, 10:03:16 pm »
Spanish Egyptian.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

hillbilly

« Reply #2167 on: 18 October, 2015, 10:16:55 pm »
Yesh, sho he wash.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2168 on: 19 October, 2015, 07:45:12 pm »
Horns! I enjoyed it clever link back to how he looks and nice hints into the future. Horns!. I enjoyed the robot soldiers. But HORNS!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2169 on: 19 October, 2015, 08:18:13 pm »
I heard something about a space helmet for a cow...

Si

« Reply #2170 on: 21 October, 2015, 05:25:12 pm »
Horns! I enjoyed it clever link back to how he looks and nice hints into the future. Horns!. I enjoyed the robot soldiers. But HORNS!

I was assuming that this was going to be a clever plot twist with him realising that it wasn't really reality due t the horns.....and the lecky eels.

But maybe they just used whatever was in the costume dept box.

Anyway it was more historically accurate than that tat about the Celts with Neil long haired Scottish bloke and the nice lady from the Lapworth.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2171 on: 24 October, 2015, 07:28:51 pm »

Not really, unless the Aliens character was the very first to do it.  That particular character is quite the cliche, and seemed a little bit unnecessary, other than giving them a another different "standard" character to inhabit the environment.

I guess they needed a number of characters, whose primary function was to die, and move that part of the story along somewhat.
I'd call him _completely_ unnecessary. His death just padded the time out (something we get a lot of with the double episodes). I don't know every work of SF written before Aliens,  but I'm not aware of them stealing the idea - lets say I wouldnt be surprised if Aliens was the first usage (certainly in a mainstream work). Either way, Dr Who stole it!
I think Moffat has been quite shameless in stealing from other SF. Perhaps not surprising given his total lack of experience writing anything genre-ish. (was this a Moffat episode?? ) See also: the sliding wall scene this week  :facepalm:

Other than that, not a bad couple of shows!   (slightly marred for us by watching the late night repeat - which of course has signing. Very confusing!  :P  )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #2172 on: 16 November, 2015, 02:25:41 am »
That accent. I assume it was meant to be Geordie. It wasn't, and it hurt my ears.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #2173 on: 16 November, 2015, 10:04:52 am »
That accent. I assume it was meant to be Geordie. It wasn't, and it hurt my ears.

Is that what is was supposed to be?  She just kept on saying "pet" which I would have thought would be very odd for an officer to say, regardless of her origins.  Presumably in the intervening centuries, "pet" has become a normal turn of phrase, acceptable for an officer to use when referring to members of her squad?!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2174 on: 16 November, 2015, 10:18:36 am »
Verbal anomalies aside, I thought it was the best episode of this series so far, by some way.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."