Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283822 times)

onb

• Between jobs at present
Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #475 on: 01 January, 2010, 10:04:56 pm »
Ah. You see, being ginger myself, I took his comment to be negative. Can't think why.

You were not alone ,although I am becoming more white these days.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #476 on: 02 January, 2010, 01:23:06 am »
I liked it better than the first half, but still felt there were too many longueurs and not enough plot. But some clever touches, and a nicely poignant ending.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

border-rider

« Reply #477 on: 02 January, 2010, 09:35:04 am »
I think the Christmas shows are always a bit more showy and a bit thinner on plot - maybe they're aimed a slightly different/wider audience.  Or the same audience after half a bottle of port :)

citoyen

« Reply #478 on: 02 January, 2010, 02:17:19 pm »
You could be right, but then again I thought the Titanic one with Kylie had a great story.

And it had Kylie...

d.

border-rider

« Reply #479 on: 02 January, 2010, 02:50:17 pm »
You could be right, but then again I thought the Titanic one with Kylie had a great story.

Aye, but compared to Blink or the John Smith episode...

And it had Kylie...

A good point, well made.

citoyen

« Reply #480 on: 02 January, 2010, 03:06:55 pm »
Aye, but compared to Blink or the John Smith episode...

Blink is possibly the best Doctor Who story EVER. It's good to know that the show is in safe hands now RTD has left.

I thought Family Of Blood (the John Smith one) was also Steven Moffat but according to Wikipedia it was by Paul Cornell, who also wrote the superb Father's Day episode, when Rose goes back to her parent's wedding and the church is attacked by giant demonic bat-like creatures.

Steven Moffat did write The Empty Child ("Are you my mummy?") and The Girl In The Fireplace (clockwork robots in 18th century France), both of which were pretty terrifying.

I hope the show continues more in that vein now RTD has left. And I hope there are more Mark Gatiss episodes too - The Idiot's Lantern (Maureen Lipman in the telly) was great, as was the other one he did. And I hope the new Doctor is more like Christopher Eccleston than David Tennant - I loved Eccleston's slightly sinister, eccentric-with-a-hint-of-malevolence shtick.

Not that I'm knocking RTD - he was responsible for some superb episodes - eg New Earth (the cat hospital) and Tooth And Claw (werewolves & Queen Victoria). I even enjoyed the Peter Kay one.

d.

border-rider

« Reply #481 on: 02 January, 2010, 03:14:33 pm »
And I hope the new Doctor is more like Christopher Eccleston than David Tennant - I loved Eccleston's slightly sinister, eccentric-with-a-hint-of-malevolence shtick.

Yes - agreed

Tennant was good but he wasn't really edgy enough, and his mockney gurning used to irritate me no end

I may be biased because Eccleston has the same accent as I do :)

citoyen

« Reply #482 on: 02 January, 2010, 03:24:50 pm »
Just been reminding myself of a few more old episodes on Wikipedia...

Gridlock was another excellent RTD episode - the one with the underground traffic jam and Ardal O'Hanlon as a catperson. And last year's Christmas special with David Morrissey as "The Next Doctor".

The Lazarus Experiment is the other one that I thought was written by Mark Gatiss, but it wasn't, though he was in it. He did write the excellent Charles Dickens episode though.

And of course Steven Moffat wrote the one with the hungry shadows in the library. He does seem to have a thing about baddies without faces.

d.

« Reply #483 on: 02 January, 2010, 03:30:55 pm »
I quite enjoyed the Christmas episodes.  It was good fun, though it's hard to see how much more they can up the ante for next Christmas.  One of the things I like most about the new Dr Who is that they get good actors in, who clearly relish their roles.  John Sim was gleefully mad as the Master, and Timothy Dalton made an impressive megalomaniac.  And Bernard Cribbins was brilliant as a cuddly old duffer.

The only problems I had with it were that the eventual confrontation between the Dr and the Timelords was quite an anticlimax, and the last half hour last night was very self-indulgent.  

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #484 on: 02 January, 2010, 03:32:26 pm »
Ah. You see, being ginger myself, I took his comment to be negative. Can't think why.

You were not alone ,although I am becoming more white these days.

I've never understood the thing about being ginger. Maybe its because I'm black.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #485 on: 02 January, 2010, 03:34:21 pm »
Bernard Cribbins was just fantastic. I liked the last half hour. I can see why people think it was self-indulgent, but they were all characters who were so important during the previous 4 series and people have a lot of affection for them, and I liked seeing that they were ok and knowing what they were doing - it won't matter if the new doctor never sees them again so much now.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #486 on: 02 January, 2010, 03:35:15 pm »
And I hope the new Doctor is more like Christopher Eccleston than David Tennant - I loved Eccleston's slightly sinister, eccentric-with-a-hint-of-malevolence shtick.

Yes - agreed

Tennant was good but he wasn't really edgy enough, and his mockney gurning used to irritate me no end

I think it's time Dr Who hailed from the North East of England. Jimmy Nail perhaps or Anthony McPartlin.

« Reply #487 on: 02 January, 2010, 03:37:07 pm »
Jeff Stelling.

border-rider

« Reply #488 on: 02 January, 2010, 03:39:47 pm »
Bernard Cribbins was just fantastic. I liked the last half hour. I can see why people think it was self-indulgent, but they were all characters who were so important during the previous 4 series and people have a lot of affection for them, and I liked seeing that they were ok and knowing what they were doing - it won't matter if the new doctor never sees them again so much now.

It was self-indulgent, for sure, but I think it was also making a point about the state-of-mind of the Doctor that reflects back to the darker episodes a few weeks ago

He'd been through the meglomanic phase, seen time fucked-backwards at the whim of the Timelords and decided that he was just going to get his last bit of happiness by bending the rules a bit in ways that were not going to affect things overall.

(tho' it was an interesting contrast to the Church episode that Smudge mentions above, where Rose's saving of her dad invokes the time-phage things to the damaged timeline)

border-rider

« Reply #489 on: 02 January, 2010, 03:40:54 pm »

Yes - agreed

I think it's time Dr Who hailed from the North East of England. Jimmy Nail perhaps or Anthony McPartlin.

:)

James Bolam ?

« Reply #490 on: 02 January, 2010, 03:42:11 pm »
Bob Mortimer ?

border-rider

« Reply #491 on: 02 January, 2010, 03:42:35 pm »
Oh yes - now you're talking

Perhaps we could have a Scottish one...oh, sorry, as you were.

Or Welsh: Ruth Jones would be bril.

« Reply #492 on: 02 January, 2010, 03:46:19 pm »
Oh yes - now you're talking

Perhaps we could have a Scottish one...oh, sorry, as you were.

Or Welsh: Ruth Jones would be bril.
Rob Bryden

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #493 on: 02 January, 2010, 03:49:25 pm »
How about the Chuckle Brothers as a timelord and sidekick ensemble?

« Reply #494 on: 02 January, 2010, 05:54:50 pm »
How about the Chuckle Brothers as a timelord and sidekick ensemble?

With the one sonic-screwdriver between them. "to me, to you"
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #495 on: 02 January, 2010, 05:59:30 pm »

The Doctor traditionally runs from new adversaries and then works out a scheme in how to defeat them.

You can't have the Doctor instantly wading into the bad guys and kicking the ever loving shit straight out of them.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #496 on: 03 January, 2010, 03:25:11 am »
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #497 on: 03 January, 2010, 01:21:08 pm »
<sigh>

Well, it had a few good bits, but overall I wish I hadn't watched. It's come to something when John Prescott can upstage David Tennent on NYDay tv.

Still, some of you seemed to love it, so I'll file it with mushrooms, and accept I just never "got" the RTD era.

I'm still optimstic about the Moffat era.

[What The F was that "Nuclear Bolt" nonsense about? Couldn't they have just killed him off 'normally'. <exits stage left tutting ... > ]

p.s. is noone going to mention all the Star Wars pastiche stuff?!?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #498 on: 03 January, 2010, 02:45:34 pm »
p.s. is noone going to mention all the Star Wars pastiche stuff?!?

Kirst made a start:-

I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed the cactus woman running from side to side while the set tilted.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #499 on: 03 January, 2010, 03:14:09 pm »
That was more Star Trek than Star Wars to be honest. It still makes me giggle.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.