Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283814 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #650 on: 15 April, 2010, 05:30:58 pm »

Why hasn't anyone photoshopped a narwhal-tusk to a screengrab of the star whale?

Like this?

Your wish etc.  ::-)

« Reply #651 on: 15 April, 2010, 05:33:41 pm »
Like this?
Narwhal nor arsewhal! You've put it on backwards. :facepalm:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #653 on: 15 April, 2010, 05:43:07 pm »
Like this?
Narwhal nor arsewhal! You've put it on backwards. :facepalm:

Doh!

You try telling the arse from the elbow of one of those things. No wonder they went extinct :)

Any better?

« Reply #654 on: 15 April, 2010, 06:39:25 pm »
This is brilliant (but kind of spoilerish if you don't want some big clues as to how the series is likely to develop, so be warned):
The Great Doctor Who Conspiracy Of The Fifth Season   Bleeding Cool Comic Book News and Rumors

It does answer a couple of questions I've had so far, the main one being when the hell the first episode was supposed to be set, which has been really bugging me. Can't believe I didn't spot the clues.

I'm not sure that convinces me of the date.  The cellphones and laptops put Amy+12 at now within ±2 years.

The hospital identity card conflicts with this since it was issued in 1990, and can't be more than a few years old.  Since we are also assuming Rory isn't that old (say he is around the actors age, 28).  At that age the latest that Amy+12 could be is 2000 (assuming he got the badge at age 18, and it's now 10 years later).

That's a ten year gap, which can't easily be explained away.

On the other hand, the identity card also say "Emergency Unit", but Rory doesn't seem to work there, he works in the ward with the Coma patients in it, which I would have assumed had little to do with emergencies.

Hence, I'm inclined to think that the identity card is a badly selected prop, and that the date based on the technology level (ie now for Amy+12) is more likely to be correct, and not the date based on the identity card.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #655 on: 15 April, 2010, 09:46:18 pm »
Ah but Peter Cushing was the film version, so doesn't count, and Paul McGann just doesn't count due to his totally wooden performance.... so is ackshully 10 :)

Ackshully the PAul McGann has been included on several occasions.

In Episode 1, there is a point where the medley of Doctors is shown it includes McGann:

« Reply #656 on: 15 April, 2010, 09:55:33 pm »
In Episode 1, there is a point where the medley of Doctors is shown it includes McGann:

It includes all ten previous Doctors, in chronological order.  We talked about this two pages back. ;D

« Reply #657 on: 15 April, 2010, 10:15:20 pm »
This is brilliant (but kind of spoilerish if you don't want some big clues as to how the series is likely to develop, so be warned):
The Great Doctor Who Conspiracy Of The Fifth Season   Bleeding Cool Comic Book News and Rumors

It does answer a couple of questions I've had so far, the main one being when the hell the first episode was supposed to be set, which has been really bugging me. Can't believe I didn't spot the clues.

I'm not sure that convinces me of the date.  The cellphones and laptops put Amy+12 at now within ±2 years.

The hospital identity card conflicts with this since it was issued in 1990, and can't be more than a few years old.  Since we are also assuming Rory isn't that old (say he is around the actors age, 28).  At that age the latest that Amy+12 could be is 2000 (assuming he got the badge at age 18, and it's now 10 years later).

That's a ten year gap, which can't easily be explained away.

On the other hand, the identity card also say "Emergency Unit", but Rory doesn't seem to work there, he works in the ward with the Coma patients in it, which I would have assumed had little to do with emergencies.

Hence, I'm inclined to think that the identity card is a badly selected prop, and that the date based on the technology level (ie now for Amy+12) is more likely to be correct, and not the date based on the identity card.

That guy is just wrong.  His other main piece of evidence to support his hypothesis is that all the cars were 1990's models.  Except the screenshot he uses has a current model Nissan Micra (came out in 2002 according to Wikipedia)  ::-)  It like it if it were true, but it appears he's wrong.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #658 on: 15 April, 2010, 10:25:49 pm »
I suppose a technologically advanced alternate reality could have come up with the Nissan Micrs ten years earlier. ;D

d. 
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #659 on: 16 April, 2010, 06:44:24 am »

It includes all ten previous Doctors, in chronological order.  We talked about this two pages back. ;D

..... but it was also raised on this page as well?

« Reply #660 on: 16 April, 2010, 10:00:16 am »
I'm not necessarily convinced by the age-of-the-cars thing, and I can't
decide whether the date-on-the-badge is deliberate or a mistake.

However, I did think that seven-year-old-Amelia was in a kitchen which
looked remarkably old-fashioned for 1996(ish) (fourteen years ago). I
thought it looked far more like a 1980s or even a mid 1970s kitchen -
especially since it contained fish fingers (ver' popular in those
decades). When could custard be bought in that sort of carton?
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #661 on: 16 April, 2010, 10:15:45 am »
... When could custard be bought in that sort of carton?

I'm fairly sure you could buy it like that in the mid-80s, but I don't know if it existed earlier.

The kitchen design doesn't mean a lot, people often stick with a kitchen for decades, often far after it looks really dated.  I know my parents did!

« Reply #662 on: 16 April, 2010, 11:55:51 am »
If that kitchen was a twenty-year-old one, then it was awfully pristine. The BBC Props department are usually better than that.

Oh - another thing I noticed: Amelia made dolls of the "Raggedy Doctor"* and played with them. A child growing up in the mid-nineties would have had a TV, a Nintendo, etc. Playing with home-made puppets is the sort of thing that a kid in the late-seventies/mid eighties would have done.

And the garden: didn't it have vegetable plots and such? Very fashionable now, very normal in the seventies/eighties, but I don't think I know anyone who had one in the 1990s. Of course, I spent the 1990s in suburbia, so that may be a narrow sample size.

I hadn't realised the incongrueties until now due to the fact that her
childhood seemed to be very similar to mine (born in 1979)!

*Co-incidentally, Raggedy Anne was a very popular TV show in the
late seventies...
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #663 on: 16 April, 2010, 12:03:28 pm »
I agree.  Not least because the Doctor told the bloke on the computer to delete his browsing history.
(If we're talking about the same thing - i.e. trying to date the grown-up-Amy part of episode 1.)
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #664 on: 16 April, 2010, 12:37:56 pm »
We'll probably get to the end of the series and find the Daleks/Cybermen/Weeping Angels have been artificially accelerating Earth technology for their own nefarious purposes again.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #665 on: 16 April, 2010, 01:54:29 pm »
We'll probably get to the end of the series and find the Daleks/Cybermen/Weeping Angels have been artificially accelerating Earth technology for their own nefarious purposes again.
We'll probably get to the end of the series and find the rip in the fabric of space-time is just large enough for Rose Tyler to drop back through.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #666 on: 16 April, 2010, 02:06:44 pm »
Yes, probably. And will she bring the non-Doctor with her?

« Reply #667 on: 17 April, 2010, 09:04:05 am »
I'm not sure that convinces me of the date.  The cellphones and laptops put Amy+12 at now within ±2 years.
I agree.  Not least because the Doctor told the bloke on the computer to delete his browsing history.
(If we're talking about the same thing - i.e. trying to date the grown-up-Amy part of episode 1.)

Trying to date the grown-up-Amy..... I can imagine a few have had that thought.

..and with all that computer skullduggery happening with no crashes, it must be pre Windows Vista / 7

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #668 on: 17 April, 2010, 07:14:21 pm »
Well I thought it was quite dull tonight. Am hoping that the Alex Kingston episode next week will be much better.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #669 on: 17 April, 2010, 07:17:24 pm »
I thought that was very rubbish, although seemed to be setting things up for the future to be interesting. But rubbish.

I did wonder if the Doctor would run into Captain Jack, like he did last time he was in the Blitz.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #670 on: 17 April, 2010, 07:20:10 pm »
Well I thought it was quite dull tonight. Am hoping that the Alex Kingston episode next week will be much better.

It was really dull and I knew that he was holding a biscuit when it was meant to be a remote control.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #671 on: 17 April, 2010, 07:21:09 pm »
Broadsword Calling Danny Boy
:facepalm:
Oh Dear.  That wasn't a homage, it was a rip-off of a "So Bad It's Good" war movie.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #672 on: 17 April, 2010, 07:22:02 pm »
Power Ranger Daleks. At least that was the view of my kids.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #673 on: 17 April, 2010, 07:22:27 pm »
That was pretty shit. Amy's still hot though  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #674 on: 17 April, 2010, 07:22:54 pm »
Who knew the RAF could bullseye wamprats on Tatooine?