Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283838 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #675 on: 17 April, 2010, 07:24:41 pm »
Agree a dull one tonight.

I wonder why she can't remember.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #676 on: 17 April, 2010, 07:29:50 pm »
Because she's either from another reality through the crack in the wall, or the Doctor is in another reality through the crack in the universe. Or, given where she's from, she was banjoed out of her head on WKD Blue and missed the entire Dalek invasion thing. I think the Doctor fancies her.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Si

« Reply #677 on: 17 April, 2010, 08:22:55 pm »
I must have missed a bit 'cos none of it made sense (I was trying to entertain the kittens).

- why did the daleks have to go to earth and why did they have to have the doctor say that he was the doctor?

Twas a bit boring, again.  this new series isn't doing very well.  New Dr is OK but the stories are a bit lame.  Next week's looks better...we shall see.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #678 on: 17 April, 2010, 08:28:43 pm »
Because they were the Daleks that were made before with a bit of human DNA in them, so not pure, and they'd made a new one with pure Dalek DNA and the pure one didn't believe they were real Daleks so they wanted the Doctor's testimony that they were to prove it to the pure Dalek.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #679 on: 17 April, 2010, 09:53:15 pm »
Here I go, out on my own again - I thought it was pretty good!  :P

When I first saw the Ironside I was instantly back in 1979, painting Airfix kits in Humbrol Olive Green... what a stroke of genius. Don't like the new Daleks though. A certain amount of reinvention is to be expected (and welcomed) but they've messed too much with an iconic design now. Private Eye reckons it's just a ploy for BBC Enterprises to make more money from must-have new Dalek toys.

Interesting development on the "when did Amelia come from" plot axis, but my enjoyment was somewhat spoilt by my constantly scrutinising the background for The Crack!

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #680 on: 17 April, 2010, 10:40:22 pm »
Here I go, out on my own again - I thought it was pretty good!  :P

When I first saw the Ironside I was instantly back in 1979, painting Airfix kits in Humbrol Olive Green... what a stroke of genius. Don't like the new Daleks though. A certain amount of reinvention is to be expected (and welcomed) but they've messed too much with an iconic design now. Private Eye reckons it's just a ploy for BBC Enterprises to make more money from must-have new Dalek toys.

Interesting development on the "when did Amelia come from" plot axis, but my enjoyment was somewhat spoilt by my constantly scrutinising the background for The Crack!

I agree with all of this, I thought the stylisation was fab, and my husband was ooohing over the WW2 Daleks. But I found myself just losing concentration on it, which I put down to just boredom with the plot.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #681 on: 17 April, 2010, 10:56:25 pm »
I've just managed to see my first episodes of the new doctor (being in Canada we can't get it) - and I think that it's offering not much different from the previous, except for Amy Pond being hot in a safe kind of way. So it's okay. Nothing new, nothing revolutionary, but pretty good really. I hope it will develop.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #682 on: 18 April, 2010, 05:48:16 pm »
That was pretty shit. Amy's still hot though  :)

+1  :)
Aero but not dynamic

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #683 on: 18 April, 2010, 05:55:10 pm »
When the Tardis finally left the war rooms at the end of the episode, was it my imagination, or did it have a St. Johns ambulance logo on the door?  ???
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #684 on: 18 April, 2010, 05:59:25 pm »
When the Tardis finally left the war rooms at the end of the episode, was it my imagination, or did it have a St. Johns ambulance logo on the door?  ???
See Doctor Who A History of the TARDIS Police Box Prop and its Modifications

The St John Ambulance logo returned to the prop for the first time in 45 years and the window frames were once again white with the bottom corner panes made to mimick the hammered glass of the real boxes

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #685 on: 18 April, 2010, 07:23:09 pm »
It was yet-another-daft-plot, but no worse than 90% of Russell T stories.

However, Matt Smith is still doing the business, and I am delighted my licence fee was spent on the following moments:
- Battle-of-Britain planning table with dalek model being pushed across. Cue theme tune.
- Dalek2: "Can i get you a cup of tea?"

Bliss.

(You lot do know it's supposed to be funny, don't you?)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #686 on: 18 April, 2010, 07:34:22 pm »

Yeah that pissed myself on that one :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #687 on: 18 April, 2010, 07:46:43 pm »
I did like the military green Daleks, with the utility belts tied around them. :thumbsup:

It probably wasn't the best of stories, and it seemed a little strained, but I guess they wanted some way to bring in a new set of Power Rangers Daleks (as said upthread!).

It had it's good points, like the Tea preparing Dalek, although the Dalek's showed their normal inability to hit the Doctor if he moves at a slow walking pace, whereas anything else gets exterminated in the blink of an eye.

I couldn't quite work out why the Spitfires in space still had their props turning though.

At least Amy has got out of her Nightie now!
Actually, it is rocket science.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #688 on: 18 April, 2010, 08:16:51 pm »
Power Ranger Daleks. At least that was the view of my kids.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That is *EXACTLY* what Pete Said  ;D

At least Amy has got out of her Nightie now!

And that statement I can get along with  :D

LEE

« Reply #689 on: 18 April, 2010, 08:33:02 pm »
I couldn't quite work out why the Spitfires in space still had their props turning though.

It stops it from spinning around due to the effect of Hamster on its wheel.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #690 on: 18 April, 2010, 08:37:01 pm »
Wouldn't the plane start to contra-rotate, though?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #691 on: 18 April, 2010, 08:43:46 pm »
I just watched Doctor Who Confidential, which as for many of the recent ones, was quite interesting.

I like that the Drone Dalek is red, it's very much like the guys wearing red jerseys in Star Trek, you know a lot of red Daleks are going to get shot later in the series!

I don't think they completely listed all the types of Dalek, we only had Dark Green - Legacy / Ironside, White - Supreme (Leader), and Red - Drone.  There are also an Orange, Yellow and Blue Daleks.  In the programme, Mark Gatiss mentions Strategist, Scientist and Eternal Daleks, which I guess match up to the other three colours.

It was also amusing to hear that the last series Daleks were scaled to Billie Piper, and these are now taller, since Karen Gillan is a taller assistant!

Did anyone else notice that Bracewell is referred to by the Doctor as having a Positronic Brain, very Issac Asimov!  (I don't remember Positronic Brains ever being mentioned in Dr Who before).

Is it just me, or was the crack behind the Tardis at the end even less subtle than the various non-subtle cracks in the previous episodes?
Actually, it is rocket science.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #692 on: 18 April, 2010, 08:44:46 pm »
The Spitfires were inside gravity bubbles. Like, duh! ;)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #693 on: 18 April, 2010, 08:55:55 pm »

I'd forgotten about those green cups and saucers, you used to see them all the time...
Aero but not dynamic

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #694 on: 18 April, 2010, 10:04:01 pm »
Is it just me, or was the crack behind the Tardis at the end even less subtle than the various non-subtle cracks in the previous episodes?

Oh yes. I spent the entire episode studiously scrutinising the background for subtle cracks, then right at the last second they smack me in the face with it.  :facepalm:

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #695 on: 18 April, 2010, 10:23:03 pm »
Yes, probably. And will she bring the non-Doctor with her?

Fnurk  ;D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #696 on: 18 April, 2010, 10:26:47 pm »
Yes, probably. And will she bring the non-Doctor with her?

Fnurk  ;D

Wrist slap
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #697 on: 18 April, 2010, 10:27:27 pm »
:-[
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #698 on: 18 April, 2010, 10:29:42 pm »

I like that the Drone Dalek is red, it's very much like the guys wearing red jerseys in Star Trek, you know a lot of red Daleks are going to get shot later in the series!

There used to be a Star Trek game my younger brother liked where there was an Ensign called "Trustworthy Expendable" for this very reason

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #699 on: 18 April, 2010, 10:50:31 pm »
I was expecting the last Spitfire to fly up the Dalek's spout, so to speak... what, it wasn't an ID4 homage?

I may have to get "Can I get you a cup of tea?" as my ringtone!

Were those new Daleks styled onna Renault Megane?  They've got awfully big arses. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.