Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283771 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #800 on: 01 May, 2010, 08:40:53 pm »

My only criticism of this series so far would be that the main story arc is far too reminiscent of Bad Wolf.

d.

I did wonder if that was Bad Wolf Bay they were in.

So... does River Song kill the Doctor in the future?  ???
I think they want us to think that.

I wasn't impressed with that episode - it was quite dull and not scary at all.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #801 on: 01 May, 2010, 11:32:03 pm »
So... does River Song kill the Doctor in the future?  ???

After today's even lamer part 2, I'm beginning not to care...

Dr Who has suddenly become less than the sum of its parts, polished but lacking in 'substance' somehow.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #802 on: 01 May, 2010, 11:53:30 pm »
I'll be very disappointed if the crack/Amy's lack of memories doesn't turn out to be anything more than what we saw tonight.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #803 on: 02 May, 2010, 01:11:42 am »
I thought it was quite good - the angels causing their own demise. The 'open your eyes and you die' reversal of all we thought we knew.

Apart from the snogging. That has no part in Dr Who....

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #804 on: 02 May, 2010, 07:28:15 am »
Apart from the snogging. That has no part in Dr Who....

..d

Exactly - I think it's all part of a cunning plot, so things may not be what they seem.  Or at least that's what I'm hoping.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

gonzo

« Reply #805 on: 02 May, 2010, 09:36:58 am »
My money's on a weepy goodbye as Amy gets thrown into the time vortex crack thingy to save mankind.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #806 on: 02 May, 2010, 09:47:41 am »
Did River Song kill Sam Tyler ?  :)
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #807 on: 02 May, 2010, 09:53:38 am »
So... does River Song kill the Doctor in the future?  ???

I think that's sufficiently vague, since people aren't always clear over whether the Doctor is a man or not.  From our perspective of knowing he's not a man, we know that it shouldn't be him that she kills, but from someone else's perspective, who doesn't know he's a Timelord, they may consider him to be a man.

Deliberately ambiguous I think.

I quite liked that Episode, maybe a little drawn out, but I think that all that story would have been rushed into one Episode.

They've now "formally" brought the crack into the story-line, but without really telling us much about it.  Killing the Angels with the crack was clever, since they caused their own demise, and it removed the Angel from Amy's head by never having existed.  River is obviously going to come back again in this series, which could be amusing.

The Doctor's behaviour was significantly different from the immediately prior two doctors, he's definitely a new incarnation.  More deep thought, and less blatant humour maybe, but a very dry wit from time to time.

The bit with Amy at the end was a little comedic, probably deliberately, although as others have suggested maybe a little out of place in what is at least partially a programme targeted at younger people.  Torchwood is the proper location for more adult humour and story-lines, although the way things played out and were discussed in this Episode was quite light, and some of the phraseology could definitely be taken in different ways depending on your age and experience.  It could also possibly be relevant to the later story.

I'd say that Episode was above Par, not as good as Blink, which I think many people were expecting since it involved the Angels, but definitely better than some of the earlier episodes in this series which were weak, although primarily through having to set the scene with the new Doctor and Companion.  Blink was an exceptional episode, and will be very difficult to better, not being as good as Blink is not much of a criticism.  I think that overall this wasn't a bad episode, and has probably set the scene for some good episodes to come.

Major points for coming up with a new original way of doing a Teleport.  This has been done so many ways in episodes of Star Trek, Blakes 7, and Doctor Who itself, that the swirling upwards disappearing vortex was rather refreshingly good. :thumbsup:
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #808 on: 02 May, 2010, 01:43:09 pm »
Maybe the Doctor is gay? Because if Amy offered me a fuck, I'd accept. Even if it meant the end of the universe!  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #809 on: 02 May, 2010, 02:47:32 pm »
Whilst killing somebody who can regenerate isn't exactly polite its not the end of the worlduniverse.

« Reply #810 on: 02 May, 2010, 02:54:16 pm »
Didn't there use to be a limit on how many regenerations the Doctor could have?

That aside, presumably if you do enough damage, then regeneration wouldn't be enough, somthing like dropping him into a sun for example.  We know Capt Jack seems to be able to tolerate anything, but I'm not sure it's clear that Timelords are totally immune to all damage.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #811 on: 02 May, 2010, 03:10:54 pm »
Major points for coming up with a new original way of doing a Teleport.  This has been done so many ways in episodes of Star Trek, Blakes 7, and Doctor Who itself, that the swirling upwards disappearing vortex was rather refreshingly good. :thumbsup:

A tadge Death Eater-ish, I thought, sniff.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #812 on: 02 May, 2010, 03:36:01 pm »

I'm not sure where I got this from, but I always used to believe the limit was 12 regenerations.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #813 on: 02 May, 2010, 04:03:16 pm »

I'm not sure where I got this from, but I always used to believe the limit was 12 regenerations.

d.

I had 12 in my mind. But this is Dr. Who! They can just explain that away with some kind of weird space timey type thing!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #814 on: 02 May, 2010, 04:05:46 pm »
Peter Davison & Colin Baker don't count, anyway ;)
Getting there...

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #815 on: 02 May, 2010, 04:43:42 pm »
I always thought it was 10, and remember there was one story involving The Master who was getting towards the end of his last incarnation and somehow managed to takeover some-one else to start again.  Or something like that.  

Although after googling, it turns out it was 12 but who knows what will happen next............
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #816 on: 02 May, 2010, 07:02:52 pm »

<Googles>

Aha, I haven't seen the later films, so I haven't seen that.  Still that's magic, not proper technological teleportation. :)

« Reply #817 on: 02 May, 2010, 07:06:35 pm »
I always thought it was 10, and remember there was one story involving The Master who was getting towards the end of his last incarnation and somehow managed to takeover some-one else to start again.  Or something like that.  

Although after googling, it turns out it was 12 but who knows what will happen next............

I always thought it was 10 too, but 12 brings us very close to this being the last Doctor. Until they change the rules.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #818 on: 02 May, 2010, 07:43:40 pm »

Aha, I haven't seen the later films, so I haven't seen that.  Still that's magic, not proper technological teleportation. :)

But any suitably advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic..
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #819 on: 02 May, 2010, 07:46:18 pm »

Reminded me of The Adventure Game

« Reply #820 on: 02 May, 2010, 08:37:06 pm »

I thought it was quite witchy, like when the panto villain vanishes, cackling, in a puff of smoke.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #821 on: 02 May, 2010, 08:56:58 pm »
Peter Davison & Colin Baker don't count, anyway ;)

No, they count, but Paul McGann certainly doesn't!

Or Peter Cushing.

« Reply #822 on: 02 May, 2010, 08:58:45 pm »
We just re-watched The Girl in the Fireplace (another story of the Doctor meeting a girl when she's seven, and returning when she's in her twenties - I'd not noticed that repeated theme before). One striking difference between the old and new series is the quality of the production. The editing, production and music of TGitFP seemed far slicker than in recent episodes.

rob

« Reply #823 on: 02 May, 2010, 09:29:48 pm »

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #824 on: 02 May, 2010, 09:32:18 pm »
We just re-watched The Girl in the Fireplace (another story of the Doctor meeting a girl when she's seven, and returning when she's in her twenties - I'd not noticed that repeated theme before). One striking difference between the old and new series is the quality of the production. The editing, production and music of TGitFP seemed far slicker than in recent episodes.

That is my favourite Dr Who episode of all time. It was just wonderful.  :thumbsup: